Do you really park that close to each other? (1 Viewer)

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Found myself, by accident, at a steam engine rally today.

Took the opportunity to walk through the camp site (which was laid out for viewing small steam-type engines, so not really as rude at it might sounds), mixture of motorhomes, caravans and Transits.

Biggest thing that struck me, apart from the smoke, was that everyone was parked sooo close to each other. Some even sharing an awning… is this really how ‘pop-up’ campsites are? I was there the day before the event as well as today, so it wasn’t just to make the public viewing easier, maybe.

I’m not anti-social, wife may disagree, but not sure I want neighbours that close to me. What is the protocol here? Will I be opening my door in the morning and have to speak to people before I’ve even figured out what day it is? - wife tells me she avoids speaking to me for at least an hour in the mornings, no idea what she means, but she’s usually right about things like that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So is there no legal requirement for 6m spacing?
The actual spacing was (quite rightly) not specified in the 1960 Act itself. Instead, so as to more easily cater for changes to be made if/when necessary (common practice with many different examples of primary legislation), S5(6) states "The Minister may from time to time specify for the purposes of this section model standards with respect to the layout of, and the provision of facilities, services and equipment for, caravan sites or particular types of caravan site; and in deciding what (if any) conditions to attach to a site licence, a local authority shall have regard to any standards so specified.".
The 6m rule is contained in the model standards currently used by local authorities when licensing caravan sites, as Barryh has pointed out.
If you run a campsite you’ll generally find adhering to the model standards is a condition of your site licence.
As mentioned previously, organisations (such as Fun) which hold exemption certificates issued by Natural England are required to ensure the same minimum spacing as laid down in the Guide for Applicants (paras 16/17 and Annex 1d).
I'm interested in rules for providing aires/stopovers in car parks
The way in which the legislation was enacted, though, means that local authorities are able to license places like Canterbury P&R where they are reasonably confident that motorhomers who use them will be sensible, thereby reducing the risks associated with more general caravan sites. That, however, is only one of many considerations when an authority is considering allowing its car parks to be used as "aires".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So is there no legal requirement for 6m spacing?
Well no....the rules that both camping and caravanning clubs apply have been in use for many a year...
They have S P A C E....the actual requirement was far less than the old 20ft rule between sleeping areas...that remains the most important factor when calculating a risk due to fire....while awake you can respond, while asleep you don't get a chance...Site wardens, Marshall's or stewards at controlled events know their stuff...respect their judgement, they are working with your safety in mind.
As a recently retired Fire Officer in 1998 I was quite alarmed (Pun intended) at what presented me on European campsites...so without doubt the standards differ....that's the way it is....if you don't like it...move away...for your own safety and privacy too...but privacy isn't going to kill you, but might put your neighbor at risk...🤔😁😟🇪🇦

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
At one French aire (I can’t recall which one) we were so close to our French neighbour, when we were eating I could have easily reached into their van and used the salt on their table. Didn’t even think of the fire risk. Only real downside was the appalling French TV that we had to listen to after midnight. 🙂

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Well no....the rules that both camping and caravanning clubs apply have been in use for many a year...
They have S P A C E....the actual requirement was far less than the old 20ft rule between sleeping areas...that remains the most important factor when calculating a risk due to fire....while awake you can respond, while asleep you don't get a chance...
As a recently retired Fire Officer in 1998 I was quite alarmed (Pun intended) at what presented me on European campsites...so without doubt the standards differ....that's the way it is....if you don't like it...move away...for your own safety and privacy too...but privacy isn't going to kill you, but might put your neighbor at risk...🤔😁😟🇪🇦
I agree 100% with your post. But just to be clear for some, the model standards apply to all licensed campsites, not just the Clubs who seem to take flak as though it’s their fault. Not all sites apply their licence conditions quite as rigorously and that’s why local authorities carry out periodic inspections. Friends of ours owned a site in the Lake District and they had a touring caravan literally explode. I dread to think of the carnage it would have caused on many of the aires we have stayed on.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Huh ,just how much is between ANY chalets on the beach ?? Row upon row ,barely a foot between them and they're all made of wood !! Mostly regulated and charged by local councils ,where is the safety there ??

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just get a sign made stating....................... NOT HAD A JABS DONE that should just them away for now.

Oh forget and cough a lot......

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Huh ,just how much is between ANY chalets on the beach ?? Row upon row ,barely a foot between them and they're all made of wood !! Mostly regulated and charged by local councils ,where is the safety there ??
Because of the way in which local councils are constituted they have no option but to apply the law as laid down by parliament.
Differences between standards for camping and beach chalets are the responsibility of parliament.

One big difference that local councils can influence is whether or not sleeping in beach chalets is allowed (it isn't in most). As jumar said above, while awake you can respond, while asleep you don't get a chance.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I agree 100% with your post. But just to be clear for some, the model standards apply to all licensed campsites, not just the Clubs who seem to take flak as though it’s their fault. Not all sites apply their licence conditions quite as rigorously and that’s why local authorities carry out periodic inspections. Friends of ours owned a site in the Lake District and they had a touring caravan literally explode. I dread to think of the carnage it would have caused on many of the aires we have stayed on.
Fair enough but thats one in thousands?? of nights stayed, You could use a similar argument for not crossing the road, getting on a plane or crossing an Italian Bridge.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Fair enough but thats one in thousands?? of nights stayed, You could use a similar argument for not crossing the road, getting on a plane or crossing an Italian Bridge.
I wasn’t making a case for it. I was just pointing out what the rules are, because my business had to apply to those rules and using an example of what I’ve actually seen elsewhere. But I will continue to use cramped aires and drive over Italian bridges (drove over that one at least 20 times) and all of that other stuff. 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back