Do you need anything special to cross Austria (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
going to holland next week then thinking of heading through Germany and Austria to venice, do I need anything to cross Austria or even Germany.
Thanks

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Shouldn't need anything for Germany as long as you stay clear of the environmental zones.We drove from Southern Germany to Bremen without one.I think you can get across Austria without anything as long as you use the right roads.However if you get diverted onto a chargeable road you will get a fine,as someone found out!
I'll await any other views with interest as we are going to see some friends in Southern Germany before going to Italy next year.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Depending on the weight of your M/H you will need either a go-box or a vinette

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
You can get either at the border or some service stations just before . But be very careful that you have the engine euro rating otherwise they can come after you several months later. The Voice of experience

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For Germany around 80 cities use the Umwelt (environment) sticker system. Your vehicle's sticker is colour coded according to its engine's Euro standard, and in these cities certain areas are barred to vehicles that don't have certain coloured stickers, although a few main roads across the cities are designated as corridors for all vehicles.

You need your V5 to get an Umwelt sticker. Online may be too slow if you're off next week - I think some German car dealerships do them(?) I got mine from Berlin's town hall, but online.

With Austria, the vignette (<= 3.5 tonnes) is a sticker which covers you for a certain amount of days. You can get it at the border or at service stations just before Austria. The Go-Box is for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, also available around the border.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For Germany around 80 cities use the Umwelt (environment) sticker system. Your vehicle's sticker is colour coded according to its engine's Euro standard, and in these cities certain areas are barred to vehicles that don't have certain coloured stickers, although a few main roads across the cities are designated as corridors for all vehicles.

You need your V5 to get an Umwelt sticker. Online may be too slow if you're off next week - I think some German car dealerships do them(?) I got mine from Berlin's town hall, but online.

With Austria, the vignette (<= 3.5 tonnes) is a sticker which covers you for a certain amount of days. You can get it at the border or at service stations just before Austria. The Go-Box is for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, also available around the border.
Not interested in going into any towns and would hope to be over Austria in a day.
Edit, and we are under 3.5

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not interested in going into any towns and would hope to be over Austria in a day.
Edit, and we are under 3.5

I missed the important bit, sorry - you only need a Vignette for the Austrian motorway system (Autobahn). If you can guarantee to stay off it (set your SatNav?) you don't need anything, although if you were diverted onto it without a Vignette you could catch a fine.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
going to holland next week then thinking of heading through Germany and Austria to venice, do I need anything to cross Austria or even Germany.
Thanks
Seven children and the ability to sing

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Cheers that's all I wanted to know, just get one from a filling station on the way in(y)
Yep, or to be more precise, before you go on an Austrian motorway. We were in the country for almost a fortnight in June, but during the first week we were nowhere near any motorways, so didn't require the vignette until later on. Used credit card at filling station to buy one and, at the time, it came out at about £8 sterling - pretty good value, especially as we used the motorways a lot during the second week. (We are plated at 3,500kg).

Some of the scenery is stunning. And if you fancy a challenge try the Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Google it and see the images) - great fun, but it will cost you.

Have a great time, in any case.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp

Sorry, may be daft question but where on my v5 does it say what level I am ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The system is based on Euro engine classes like the French one and pretty much all the others.

They will determine your Euro class by the date of first registration of your van.

For a green Umelt sticker your vehicle needs to be Euro IV or better which means registered after 1st January 2006. If it's Euro III you would get a yellow sticker, Euro II a red one and older than that no sticker which would mean that you couldn't drive in any of the zones.

Broken Link Removed

For the zones in some other counties, France for example, Euro V and VI matter..

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

I can't find anything about emissions on my V5 either; but that's also a Good Thing, the upside being that it wasn't hit with the extra VED charge on new cars and vans with higher CO2 emissions. :)(y)

Next, Certificates of Conformity. The Rapido COC says its exhaust emissions level is EURO6. As does the Fiat COC, although it calls my van a Tipo 250 (also included in the VIN number) so I am guessing that the current X290 version is type approved as a 250 so is basically a facelift.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
You should be ok then my problem with them was that nowhere on the V5 or the CoC did it state the engine was euro5 ,so, despite having the date of original registration they wanted to fine me as having an older engine

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just for clarity - anyone with 3500 + who wants to get an Austrian gobox will need a C of C to prove their emmision class to the idiotic austrian system.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just for clarity - anyone with 3500 + who wants to get an Austrian gobox will need a C of C to prove their emmision class to the idiotic austrian system.

We didn't.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Did the Grossglockner on a long base beetle trike with the missus perched high on the back!
You try getting one of those round the hair bends!!!!!!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Crossed Austria earlier this year, from Germany to Italy, without bothering with a go-box (over 3.5t). But we were very careful to avoid the motorways; it's not difficult, just a bit of forward planning.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Where do I start......ever seen a MH doing a nearly a ton ? You will see plenty ! Ever been passed by a vehicle doing 150mph + you will be (watch out for the slipstream) ever seen an eastern European lorry driver with his feet up on the dash whilst watching TV and driving ? You may do!
Also watch out for lorry tramlines on the autobahns and during the weekends all available layby and service areas will be stuffed with HGV vehicles for the duration and finally never ever get in a German/Austrian drivers way.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back