do you lock your toilet service door (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do you bother locking the toilet cassette door, after all who would pinch a tank full of POO.

Thats what I thought so have got a bit lazy of late. We were on the aire in Gouda (which was lovely by the way) came to do the "man jobs" before leaving and there was no top on the toilet tank I am sure I put it back on but not there anyway, luckily had spare tank so nicked my own top.

Dread to think of the mess if I had not decided to empty before moving.

Bumped into funster siftersam but he says it was not him;)

Martin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well yeah, I do lock it, must admit we are not big on security,I know it will catch up with us sometime but this one is no bother to do,can't see why anyone would want a case of sh.. But as you have found out,you never know

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Sounds like that recent story in The Daily Mail where the MH owner was driving up the M20 from Dover after getting the ferry home and noticed in his wing mirror that his toilet service door was flapping in the breeze. As soon as he slowed down in the next service area car park he saw three economic migrant pygmies leap to the ground from his cassette compartment and peg it for the perimeter fence as fast as their little legs could carry them.

Well alright, I'm lying, and it wasn't actually in The Daily Mail, but...

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
When you think about it, if you buy a used van you are getting a used cassette so its a cheap way of getting a spare.:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Serves me right for being lazy, if it had been empty they might have taken the lot so should be grateful really.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Martin, yes lock it mate. How are you two ! fine I hope. Wonder if we will meet up next winter? Were going to do Morocco this time around but plan to do a few weeks in Spain towards end of March.
Let us know what your doing nearer the time.
Mena asking after both you and Jen.
All the best.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello Martin

Not really sure my 'like' to your OP was really appropriate, but made a nice tale and reminder to others, glad you had a spare cap and that the garage was more secure :D

Don't lock mine either, but it only gives access to our muncher, but don't want to lose any of that, so locking mine when I get home (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
write your van's registration number on the cap, cover and cassette with permanent marker

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We always lock ours, quite apart from it not being nicked, it means we don't have to worry about it coming open whilst travelling and the cassette making a bid for freedom especially on some of the awful bumpy roads there are nowadays ... wouldn't want to be responsible for the cost of having to clear sh*t up off a motorway would you ... :D

If your locker door did come open and the cassette, or anything else for that matter, flew out it could cause an accident and you certainly would NOT want to be responsible for that ... especially as it would give the Daily Mail something else to put on their front page ... they print enough cr*p as it is!!!! :LOL:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Usually lock the cassette door -but I will have to have words with eldest grandson -he got my van keys to move it back on the drive yesterday to get his quad bike out of my garage -when I went out this morning I noticed the van door blowing open/shut,went to investigate and it was open with the keys still in the ignition :oops:
terry

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Defo lock it every time, that and every other door or access hatch :)

Depending on the location (Dorset Steam Fair springs to mind and the amount of travellers that tour the place) I even run a tie strap between the drivers and passengers doors, so that if anyone does manage to force a lock, they'd have to smash a window to cut the strap and open the door :)

Also I leave the front curtains open when I do go out so as to clearly show my crooklock and the strap in place. A blanket hides the access into the back. If they really wanted too, they'd get in, but I hope my efforts mean that they miss me and bugger off somewhere else :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OTE="Badknee, post: 1113312, member: 33046"]Whens his funeral?;)[/QUOTE]
Dont fancy tackling him hes 6ft 5 and built lile a brick shit house :)he is only 18and has not learned to walk away-simply hits out at anyone in his way- first class very big / nutter
Terry

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Reminds me of a time in a campsite in Cornwall, some bloke went to emtpy his cassette opened the little door, and whoosh, the contents did a Old Mo, but this time wasn't one shoe, it was all down his front as well, it appears someone had knicked his cassette, corr it didn't half pen, we moved to other side of site.

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
I always lock both the toilet and gas lockers. TOO MUCH money tied up in them not to. Also always lock the garage doors. In fact they're on my check list.:cool::cool::cool:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Always lock all accessible doors, toilet, storage and gas. The opportunist thief will hopefully move on.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Always keep the hatch locked, as with all the external doors. Do it without thinking.

Mike

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My motorhome is obviously designed with the cassette thief in mind. To access the cassette you must first unlock the rear door of the motorhome then using a different key unlock the habitation door. How crazy if I had managed to access the mh I would steal it along with the cassette.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back