Do you like your's in our out? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I was wondering.......

We've only ever rolled out our awning on sunny days when sitting outside, as a sun shade. Then put it away straight after.

I'm now thinking that it might be better to roll it out as soon as we arrive at a site, and use it as a porch, to keep the area by the hab door dry.

What if the awning is still wet when we move on?

How to you use your awning?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Robert

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Definitely get it out most of the time......... Put it away at Malvern, though, as squalls were forecast

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You shouldn't put it in wet really - it will go mouldy unless you get it out again and dry it off properly.

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We nervously erect ours, having read so many scare stories of damage etc.

I'm always keener to give it a go than Mr mousy although after giving it a wash with bleach yesterday he may want to show it off more.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Haven't tried bleach on mine, not too sure of any embarrassing side effects and odd looking white patches. It is a big one and the firm belief is "if you've got it, flaunt it"

Trying very hard to keep a straight face here.......

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I would imagine David that yours being so much bigger than ours would be quite a handful to get up, do you manage on your own?

Do you always use a strap or a tie down?

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I was wondering.......

We've only ever rolled out our awning on sunny days when sitting outside, as a sun shade. Then put it away straight after.

I'm now thinking that it might be better to roll it out as soon as we arrive at a site, and use it as a porch, to keep the area by the hab door dry.

What if the awning is still wet when we move on?

How to you use your awning?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Robert
Use it all the time. Always peg the feet, always use a storm strap (in case of stray gusts), set it up with one end lower than the other to prevent water pooling, wash it when you wash the van. If it becomes too windy the noise from it will make you roll it up long before there's any chance of damage to it.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
We roll ours out most of the time and as Tony said peg the legs and storm straps. We also use a centre rafter pole for support. When we dont put up the safari room we also attach the side clips onto the canopy sides this stops any flapping.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I would imagine David that yours being so much bigger than ours would be quite a handful to get up, do you manage on your own?

Do you always use a strap or a tie down?

Usually all by myself but sometimes Dawn helps me........ I put some lubricant on the mechanism to stop it squeaking pulling it out and also nowadays we use the central stiffener to stop it sagging. We always strap it down

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Living in Wales for the last ten years means we want all the sun we can get. So we only use ours in the rain. A cup of tea while the rain lashes your awning is great. Slightest bit of wind and it's in though, seen too many trashed awnings.

We use these Peggy Peg tie downs. They are secured to the ground with pegs, but quick as a flash you can unclip them to put the awning away, and they remain in place so in the morning or when the wind has gone, it takes just a second or so get the awning back out to clip them back in secure. (y)

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I saw those at Malvern jim and was tempted, might get some for next year. It's funny if we are away on our own we tend not to bother with the awning but always use it at funster meets. We've got lily pad screens but only get those out if we want an argument!

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, Dawn (Mrs Deluxe) did mention that we should get some of those, plus I think Dawn (Mousy) also mentioned them. A really good idea, just not got around to doing it. Paranoid about it all taking off so the judicious use of the blue things will help keep everything up where it should be.....

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I don't have one and can not help with this thread at all but.............

12 replies and no real double entendre? :p:)

What's happened?:eek:

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't have one and can not help with this thread at all but.............

12 replies and no real double entendre? :p:)

What's happened?:eek:
You should really go to Specsavers....... Have another read...........

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Yeah :) but I said 'real' ones.............. you gotta do better than that :cool: To someone like me who has led a sheltered life they are all perfectly innocent :D

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our last awning was trashed by a sudden gust of hurricane proportions. It was in the S.of France and it was looking a bit stormy so we decided to pull the awning in, before we could do so the gust struck and in spite of two strapdowns with big pegs and the legs pegged down it was blown upwards, breaking one of the legs and twisting the arms, one of which broke off. The only good thing was that, although the bulk of it was blown up on to the roof, and the solar panels thereof, there was no damage to the MH. Still over a grand for a new awning though.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well, now we're serious and all that....:rolleyes: Does anyone know of smaller awnings that will fit over the sliding door on a PVC. I do like the idea of keeping the rain out.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Depends on the van - suggest to check with a Fiamma supplier for advice - JCM in the advert on the right might be able to advise you

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our last awning was trashed by a sudden gust of hurricane proportions. It was in the S.of France and it was looking a bit stormy so we decided to pull the awning in, before we could do so the gust struck and in spite of two strapdowns with big pegs and the legs pegged down it was blown upwards, breaking one of the legs and twisting the arms, one of which broke off. The only good thing was that, although the bulk of it was blown up on to the roof, and the solar panels thereof, there was no damage to the MH. Still over a grand for a new awning though.

Wow you still bought another one after that.

I have never liked awnings, more trouble that they are worth, I would not have one but this van we have now had one on when we bought it, they are just so flimsy unless you get one of the GH ones.

Paul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I left mine up overnight and woke in the morning to find that it had rained heavily in the night. I looked out to see a mangled mess and thought that it had been trashed. Exited the drivers door and went around to find that it was only contorted into an odd shape with a huge pool of water in the middle. Got rid of the water and no tears in the fabric, bends in the pole or anything wrong with it whatsoever. Think myself very lucky and now hide it away at night for safe keeping. When its out now I have a greater slope to allow the water to run off to stop any pooling!

Take care with it when its up as it could cost you a fortune in unwanted trouble and cost!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back