Do you leave your bedding in? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
We are packing the mh today for Fridays trip away (first) and planned to put the bedding in but some friends said definitely not until the day you go because of damp.

I would have thought it would be well aired/warmed through before bed time as we are travelling for about 4 hours and will have the heating on when parked up as well.

What do you do when the weather is cold(ish)??

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I even go as far as taking the mattresses out! A habit from Caravanning years when there was a possibility that the undersides would go mouldy. The pillows are also kept indoors if we are not using the Motorhome for several weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Oops...looks like I may have to sort out new bedding. Was so excited at finally getting my new mh I wasn't thinking straight...and left the stuff in over winter:doh::D
no you wont we levee ours in all year round and haven had a problem we layed the van up in October owing to ill health.
we went on Friday and they are ok but are now home to be freshened up well jut put the duvet thug the washer the linen as normal.
bill

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well living in a one bedroom property means No Way Pedro would we have room for an extra duvet and 2 pillows, let alone a ruddy mattress. I think we usually took the duvet and pillows out of the caravan in the winter though, but the van was in storage in a barn on a farm and we lived in a 3-bed house then anyway.

The bed mattress in that was the seat cushions in the lounge/diner anyway so we just stood them up in the caravan from habit really, but we haven't done that with seat cushions or mattresses with either MoHo.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As we have a transverse rear bed it is left made up all the time, our clothes, towels etc also stay in too and even though we have a PVC which isn't supposed to be 'quite' as well insulated as some coachbuilts, we've never had any issues at all with damp items. The only thing we do if it's been stood for a while is to put an electric under-blanket in the bed to give it a bit of an air/warm the day before we are due to go away.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Leave it in, all washed ready to go. Hooked up on drive with heating on low

We're exactly the same, in fact we are delivering Knobby to his new home today and had to take it all out, my goodness what a lot of gear we all seem to carry. Now I have to store it all whilst looking for and waiting for a new one.

Upvote 0

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We always left ours in, but if it felt very cold we might have brought it in the night before going away, just to give it an airing. Our van was a panel van conversion and didn't really get damp.

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Left it in last year, take out to wash and put back in when dry. I did take all bedding out when we stopped using it in winter.

You guys that leave the van plugged in and heating on low, is that all winter?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
You guys that leave the van plugged in and heating on low, is that all winter?[/QUOTE]

Yes we leave it plugged in, comes on if it drops below 10c .... used it more last winter than this one due to family health problems but it is nice to know we can just grab a few things and go if we get chance.

We have run out of gas a couple of times, when electric has gone off. Try and remember to stick our head in every few days to make sure its Ok. We don't drain down.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I took mine out after the last trip in November but will put it back in a few days before the next one and then only take it out for washing until next winter.
yep, same here. We did leave the bedding in the luton over winter some years ago and were met with lots of mould so never again:cry:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You guys that leave the van plugged in and heating on low, is that all winter?

Yes we leave it plugged in, comes on if it drops below 10c .... used it more last winter than this one due to family health problems but it is nice to know we can just grab a few things and go if we get chance.

We have run out of gas a couple of times, when electric has gone off. Try and remember to stick our head in every few days to make sure its Ok. We don't drain down.

Same as GranJan leave ours on permanent hook up, set at 10C

Jan just make sure you turn off the gas option on your Alde, then if electric goes off it just cools down

We have an outside /inside thermometer in house to keep an eye on MH internal temperature, (put the 'outside' sensor in MH), I have wasted loads of gas in the past as well forgetting to hook up when getting home doesn't help

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Same as GranJan leave ours on permanent hook up, set at 10C

Jan just make sure you turn off the gas option on your Alde, then if electric goes off it just cools down

We have an outside /inside thermometer in house to keep an eye on MH internal temperature, (put the 'outside' sensor in MH), I have wasted loads of gas in the past as well forgetting to hook up when getting home doesn't help

Thanks David great idea, will get one of those. Message sent.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
After our last trip away we take all soft furnishing out, bedding, cushions all food stuffs, books and any paperwork.
You can air the motorhome as much as you like but damp is damp and will attach itself to anything that will absorb moisture.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have vac bags that the bedding goes in so it comes into the house to be washed then gets put in the bags. In theory it goes back in the van but in reality hardly ever does until it's time to go away again.

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Never thought to leave it hooked up and heating on at home. I'm not sure if our heater works on mains alone. It's a Truma combo boiler thing.

Upvote 0

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
When laid up for the winter months we put a thermostatic oil filled radiator in the MH with all the cupboard doors left open, never gets any damp, we also dry clean the duvet every year, this works for us

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As most of above.. Leave in van except for washing.
Van is normally used regular but first time in 3 years we took it out and we knew van would be stood for a few months..
My bedding has always full-timed. I have a greenhouse heater in the van but only on a frost stat.

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Leave ours in,

Electric under blanket for a couple of hours before we jump in, just to make sure, never had damp problems but do use it all year round...

Adrian

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We take all our soft furnishings out for the winter and store them in the house, they go back nicely washed and fresh for the first trip of the year, all bedding is taken out and washed after every trip away.

Upvote 0

Scuba Steve

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
We leave our bedding in all year round, except for washing it, we also have a full set of spare cloths that always stay in our MH once washed they go straight back in so that when we go away we are ready and can get off quicker.
We use our MH all through the year no matter what the weather, the only thing that will stop us going out is a heavy snow fall

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back