Do You Know Who Is On The Next Pitch (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We were on a site once and spotted a Funster sticker on a neighbouring van. I recognised them from a meet a few years before so went and said hello. The reply was to simply look straight through me and walk away. Same thing happened later with Alison. Maybe we weren't skinny enough......... nowt so strange as folk. To this day, I have no idea at all what I had done to offend them, but that was just plain rude. Anyway, onwards and upwards; can't please everybody.

On the other hand, whoever turns up on a neighbouring pitch always gets a friendly greeting and a brief chat, even Burstner owners ;) It was at Misterton a few years ago I spotted this grumpy looking bloke in really bad golfing trousers and asked him if he had won his bet for wearing them. Turns out that it was my mate Shifty.........

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Two ladies on the next pitch at the Aire in Palencia ( Near the hospital) Struck up a conversation with us. It turned out they come over to England in the summer and work the Catering at Cafe/Bars during the summer and head back to their house in Portugal for the Winter. Other places they had been was along the South coasts of Spain and France... Good game.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
it got me thinking today on another thread today what do you know about the person on the next pitch

One year a motorhome pulled in next to us in Portugal it turned out I knew him from junior leaders 40 + years ago

My old Colonel pulled in next to me I said your pension must be crap if you have a hymer and I have carthago lol

Also met a a old army mate who was a captain in the marines parked next to us in Swindon that was a good night

Also met a motorhome dealer from Denmark

Met a guy in Spain who was fitting solar panels before anyone knew what a solar panel was lol

Also met a ex tanker captain who adopted 3 stray dogs and could not go back to his apartment because of the no dog rule so he lived in his RV

The list goes on never judge a book by its cover
One year I pulled into an Aire in Portugal and you didn’t want to talk to me. 🤔

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
2 years ago we went on a GB motorhome tour to Norway and Denmark with only 15 vans. One of the other couples was from a village 4 miles from us and we really got on well. They didn’t do the Denmark bit so we arrived home after them, got a message the day after we arrived home to say “ you got home late last night”.
How odd we thought. Turned out they were great friends with the Mum of the lovely young lady of the family who’d not long moved in next door. Obviously Rachael next door had been regaled of the funny story of the holiday by her Mum.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
First time to Spain in the van on a Forum rally around 2010 pulled onto the meet aire next to a very large Dethleffs van, with the van doors being opposite each other we quickly got talking and found them a lovely couple ending up spending lots of nights sitting between our vans putting the world to rights and getting drunk, our van had to go into the local garage over night with clutch troubles they insisted we and our dog stop over night in their van.
After the meet we travelled with them for a week or so up the coast into France, they were on their way to Germany to have work done on their van we were going home.
We never met them again and wounder what happened to them?............
Thats right i KNOW, it was YOU and Lynn

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I got friendly with a Belgian policeman on the next pitch on a Spanish site about 6 years ago. He was a nice guy and we shared a few beers. We met him again for the next two years at the same site. Then the following year we met him again and he was really short with me and didn’t want to talk to me.

I didn’t really understand it but thought it odd. Then on the day we were leaving my wife bumped into him in the shop and he said he was so sorry that Chris is so unwell. I had lost so much weight he thought I had cancer and didn’t know what to say to me.:giggle:

If he saw me now he would have no such concerns:(

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We’re on a site in France, went into reception for something and a Brit was buying wine, and waxing lyrical about what he was buying. I though pretencious prat, later walking round site, we called hello, as first uk van we had seen, he ask if we know anything about mobile phones, to cut a long story short, he was a retired publican started a great friendship and learned 2 wonderful things from them, you don’t need to travel long distances, the journey is part of the trip and wine in boxes can be fine. They are not funsters but do have a lovely CL in Yorkshire.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were in Portugal. A few years ago and our water pump had given up the ghost.
We mentioned it to our neighbour on thenext pitch with NL plates so we knew that they spoke English.
He said he had a spare and he would sell it to us and fix it in place for 20€.
We took him up on the offer and when talking found out he was a military captain and engineer on a large ship.
How lucky was that.?
No famous people though.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have met so many lovely Funsters on meets & rallies & chatted about their life stories & adventures. Have learnt never to make assumptions based on first impressions or appearance. The couple that don't seem friendly may be shy about meeting new people or dealing with personal trauma & just want a safe space to relax & may be quite different another time. The quiet ones often have the best tales to tell but what we hear in the field stays in the field!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We were in Portugal. A few years ago and our water pump had given up the ghost.
We mentioned it to our neighbour on thenext pitch with NL plates so we knew that they spoke English.
He said he had a spare and he would sell it to us and fix it in place for 20€.
We took him up on the offer and when talking found out he was a military captain and engineer on a large ship.
How lucky was that.?
No famous people though.
Wondering if he had a big military type tool box as a great Dutch guy tried to help us when our fridge failed on gas, we were in France at the time.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
First time to Spain in the van on a Forum rally around 2010 pulled onto the meet aire next to a very large Dethleffs van, with the van doors being opposite each other we quickly got talking and found them a lovely couple ending up spending lots of nights sitting between our vans putting the world to rights and getting drunk, our van had to go into the local garage over night with clutch troubles they insisted we and our dog stop over night in their van.
After the meet we travelled with them for a week or so up the coast into France, they were on their way to Germany to have work done on their van we were going home.
We never met them again and wounder what happened to them?............
Thats right i KNOW, it was YOU and Lynn
OMG
How are you both doing , we had some good laughs and we were just talking about you both the other day

Paul

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Both well thanks, I'm off for my jab this afternoon ( your to young for that yet 😀) had big plans for Spain this winter 🤞 for next year.
Give my regards to Lynne, keep safe

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Both well thanks, I'm off for my jab this afternoon ( your to young for that yet 😀) had big plans for Spain this winter 🤞 for next year.
Give my regards to Lynne, keep safe
Hope the Jab goes well Charlie
We will have to arrange to.meet up somewhere when things get back to normal
I hope your not putting the generator in the roof box on the new van lol .......still makes me laugh

Give our regards to Carol

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were on a site once and spotted a Funster sticker on a neighbouring van. I recognised them from a meet a few years before so went and said hello. The reply was to simply look straight through me and walk away. Same thing happened later with Alison. Maybe we weren't skinny enough......... nowt so strange as folk. To this day, I have no idea at all what I had done to offend them, but that was just plain rude. Anyway, onwards and upwards; can't please everybody.
Sorry about that but you know how it is Dave........ It is OK to talk to you when roughing it on a MHF rally, but one has to keep up appearances when on a CMC site ..................................... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Hope the Jab goes well Charlie
We will have to arrange to.meet up somewhere when things get back to normal
I hope your not putting the generator in the roof box on the new van lol .......still makes me laugh

Give our regards to Carol
Yes we will have to arrange something when this is all over, haha yes the genny! i had one arm like Superman, this one has 250w solar and 300a/h of batteries.
Carol says hi to you both.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry about that but you know how it is Dave........ It is OK to talk to you when roughing it on a MHF rally, but one has to keep up appearances when on a CMC site ..................................... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Don't worry about it Peter...... I just threw bread pieces on top of your van so you had an early wake up call :whistle2:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Couple next to us on a site in Falmouth in their hired van.

It was Falmouth but boy was she foul mouthed. Poor guy couldn't do right no matter what he did.

I have a dreadful admission to make.
A Dutch couple parked next to me on a French site and the poor guy took ages (perhaps an hour) faffing about setting up his satellite dish on a tripod, some way distant because of overhanging trees whilst constantly being nagged rotten and given bad-tempered instructions from his lady inside shouting out of the window.
When they went out I thought (after quite a few G&T's) that it would be rather amusing to re-peg the tripod feet after it had been turned a few degrees. When they returned the lady rushed inside and almost immediately much shouting ensued as a prelude to the wretched guy trying to retune his dish. :giggle:
He apologised next morning when we met at the water tap for the row and bad language, saying that he had nothing but problems with the satellite dish and they had been in a rush to go out to eat before returning in time to see her favourite programme. I didn't confess to my mischief but how he giggled at his wife's panicking (and being brave now whilst at a safe distance from her).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We parked up once next to a lovely Spanish gentleman with whom we struck up a nice friendship during our 2 week stay. He was an excellent cook and treated us to some wonderful traditional Spanish meals as well as teach us how to make some ourselves.
It turned out that this quiet man was an ex-Guardia Civil anti-terrorist (Basque ETA) squaddie, badly wounded in service and retired early as a result. Although he did not go into any detail, it was obvious that he must have been involved in numerous dangerous missions in the Basque country at the height of their troubles.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have a dreadful admission to make.
A Dutch couple parked next to me on a French site and the poor guy took ages (perhaps an hour) faffing about setting up his satellite dish on a tripod, some way distant because of overhanging trees whilst constantly being nagged rotten and given bad-tempered instructions from his lady inside shouting out of the window.
When they went out I thought (after quite a few G&T's) that it would be rather amusing to re-peg the tripod feet after it had been turned a few degrees. When they returned the lady rushed inside and almost immediately much shouting ensued as a prelude to the wretched guy trying to retune his dish. :giggle:
He apologised next morning when we met at the water tap for the row and bad language, saying that he had nothing but problems with the satellite dish and they had been in a rush to go out to eat before returning in time to see her favourite programme. I didn't confess to my mischief but how he giggled at his wife's panicking (and being brave now whilst at a safe distance from her).
How could you? I would never do such a thing :whistle2:

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Some fifteen years ago we were tenting on a campsite in Burgundy. There was an English couple in a motorhome on the next pitch. We got friendly and took them shopping a couple of times.
Fast forward to 2019 and we were in the Reception at a site in the Haute Garonne and there they were. This time we were in the motorhome and they had a caravan. This time it was us who got the lift to the supermarket!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back