Do You Know Who Is On The Next Pitch (1 Viewer)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
it got me thinking today on another thread today what do you know about the person on the next pitch

One year a motorhome pulled in next to us in Portugal it turned out I knew him from junior leaders 40 + years ago

My old Colonel pulled in next to me I said your pension must be crap if you have a hymer and I have carthago lol

Also met a a old army mate who was a captain in the marines parked next to us in Swindon that was a good night

Also met a motorhome dealer from Denmark

Met a guy in Spain who was fitting solar panels before anyone knew what a solar panel was lol

Also met a ex tanker captain who adopted 3 stray dogs and could not go back to his apartment because of the no dog rule so he lived in his RV

The list goes on never judge a book by its cover

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were stargazing in Burgundy about 15 years ago. A man sitting outside his small tent asked us if we were interested in the stars. When we said yes he produced a couple of stools, a bottle of wine and proceeded to point everything out to us over a period of about half an hour.

We thanked him and when we were leaving, I remarked that I had often wondered who made the decision as to where to point the Hubble Telescope. He said, “actually that’s me. At least, I chair the managing committee who approve observations”.

You never can tell by appearances.

OP
OP
Zepp

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We were stargazing in Burgundy about 15 years ago. A man sitting outside his small tent asked us if we were interested in the stars. When we said yes he produced a couple of stools, a bottle of wine and proceeded to point everything out to us over a period of about half an hour.

We thanked him and when we were leaving, I remarked that I had often wondered who made the decision as to where to point the Hubble Telescope. He said, “actually that’s me. At least, I chair the managing committee who approve observations”.

You never can tell by appearances.
I love it you just never know who you are parked next to

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We were on an RV trip in the US and had crossed over the St Lawrence into Canada on a site overlooking the river and a friendly Canadian gent on the next pitch invited us to share his whisky, most enjoyable and for whatever reason he gave us this little coin 25c with a red rose in the middle , unfortunately I forget the story behind it.
image.jpg

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
This was the first colored general circulation coin in the world.

Also known as the conspiracy coin, due to the red center, the US Secret Service believed there to be a microchip inside the coin, enabling them to be satellite tracked

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Two years ago on a 5 pitch CL in Suffolk, I got talking with a chap about all sorts, as you do. After discussing what jobs we did after leaving school, we suddenly realised that we had known each other 50 plus years before, when we were both bikers in the same "gang". I went to sea and moved houses so we lost touch when we were about 19-20.

We would have walked past each other in the street and not known our past connection, had we not been on the CL and idly chatting, it makes me wonder how many people I may walk past in a year who I have known in a previous life!

Needless to say, Bob and I are keeping in touch via email, Christmas cards etc. (y)

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
When we started this van lark we expected to have similar conversations as Zepp and co with like minded people but we only seem to attract strange activity or knuckle draggers.
The guy in a French aire who thought it acceptable to fold in my mirrors and park facing the opposite direction so close to us that we could not get in to our van.
The caravanner who popped his pooch out of the door at a CLC site only for it to pop something out on our pitch. 6yo child plus dog poo equals messy carpets.
The friendly dog walking pensioner parked up in a Welsh lay-by who was in fact dealing drugs from his PVC.
A dogging incident where our van got mistaken for the main event.
Or the German who was very adept at land grab. Of course I didn’t mention the war, much.
Thing is I bet they all regale similar tales of parking next to the extremely miserable potty mouthed Englishman 😃

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Many people have been lucky enough to pitch up next to the young, good looking, intelligent, wonderful and modest person that is me 🙂

Blast, you’ve beat me to it! My response was going to be (is):

I’ve been pitched next to many a person but have never revealed to them my many special qualities; well, apart from my modesty. 😉

Ian

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This was the first colored general circulation coin in the world.

Also known as the conspiracy coin, due to the red center, the US Secret Service believed there to be a microchip inside the coin, enabling them to be satellite tracked
Wow , thank you. Perhaps I drank to much whisky or was it bourbon (y)

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Last year we stayed on a field in portland Dorset & spent a few days with a lovely couple .Turned out he was Pete Staples, the bass player from the troggs.Had no idea who he was.Neighbor's on the other side of us told us when they left lol.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Couple next to us on a site in Falmouth in their hired van.

It was Falmouth but boy was she foul mouthed. Poor guy couldn't do right no matter what he did.

The site was up a very narrow road, that only got tighter and tighter if you passed the site entrance. We walked up that lane to a dead end and narrow enough that only the smallest car would have made it, but then no turning point, so a challenging reverse at the least.

When said van was leaving site, I met the guy at the water point and he mentioned that they were heading off and showed me the route on his sat-nav, which had him turning left and heading up that lane. I told him that it was impossible to take the van up the lane and the hassles he would face reversing all the way back down the winding lane, but the lady wouldn't have any of it and off they went up the lane.

Never did see the outcome, but I bet Johns motorhome took a battering.
IMG_0033.JPG

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We were on an RV trip in the US and had crossed over the St Lawrence into Canada on a site overlooking the river and a friendly Canadian gent on the next pitch invited us to share his whisky, most enjoyable and for whatever reason he gave us this little coin 25c with a red rose in the middle , unfortunately I forget the story behind it.
View attachment 461350
Is that not a poppy in the centre? With the date 2004 and the English and French words "Remember" perhaps it's a memorial coin for the 90 year anniversary of the start of the First World War. I'm guessing, though.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In 2009 we pulled onto a waterfront pitch on a site at Hayling Island with our Hurricane and toad and no sooner arrived and a lady came running round from the neighbouring pitch and introduced herself and then her husband.
We had a couple of meals with them and have been friends and met up ever since.
Until recent retirement he was a senior technician in the House of Westminster and took us on a personal guided tour of the Houses of Parliament and Lords .
A lovely couple where a valuable friendship has been as a direct result of our travels.

53E5789D-5C14-4529-B8CA-F01BFB696670.jpeg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Is that not a poppy in the centre? With the date 2004 and the English and French words "Remember" perhaps it's a memorial coin for the 90 year anniversary of the start of the First World War. I'm guessing, though.
Yes it looks like a poppy and could be that. Our trip was in 2004 so it was a new coin given to me,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back