Do You Know Who Is On The Next Pitch (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On our way north from the Med we made our usual stopover at Caceres .
We got talking to a couple , I have forgotten their names and had a meal with them that evening. They had a property in France and said that we were welcome to visit.
Unfortunately never had the opportunity to take them on it.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
A few years ago now we were not pitched but parked up waiting for a ferry when a large coach pulled up next to us. Out gets Lemmy Kilmister and Motörhead for a stretch. We got chatting and they were in the middle of a big European tour.
I was most impressed indeed. I said to my missus that was Lemmy, she said never heard of him..philistine.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
On our way north from the Med we made our usual stopover at Caceres .
We got talking to a couple , I have forgotten their names and had a meal with them that evening. They had a property in France and said that we were welcome to visit.
Unfortunately never had the opportunity to take them on it.
Fred and Rose West?

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
A few years ago now we were not pitched but parked up waiting for a ferry when a large coach pulled up next to us. Out gets Lemmy Kilmister and Motörhead for a stretch. We got chatting and they were in the middle of a big European tour.
I was most impressed indeed. I said to my missus that was Lemmy, she said never heard of him..philistine.
Phil
Who?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I said to my missus that was Lemmy, she said never heard of him..philistine.
I was idling on the quay at La Rochelle when a blonde came past accompanied by a couple of minders and photographers. When my Aussie DIL came out twenty minutes later from dragging my son around the adjacent clothes shop I was telling her about the flouncy painted tart who'd gone posing past when a lady interrupted and said it was Kylie Minogue. My DIL was distraught at missing her, berated me for not calling her out of the shop and nearly had the vapours. We went for a calming coffee and she put on Faecesbook that she had 'nearly seen Kylie Minogue'. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think she's classy

Maybe, but I didn't have time to see her charisma. I had no idea who she was (still don't, except that she was a pop singer) and only saw her for about 20 seconds. She didn't recognise me either.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Kylie was on stage at one of the first T IN THE PARK in Hamilton, she never impressed me until my mate dragged me to the front to se her , she was playing to the crowds , flicking her skirt etc , one of the guys in the crowd shouted SHOW US YOUR DIVIT , she burst out laughing & couldn’t sing for a moment , she played us all night , she gets my vote now 👍

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
MR BLO
Your comment about the French Aire unfortunately reminds me of my first trip to Spain a few years ago. It was very cold January and we had researched our journey stops and were approaching an aire in a small town. I had absolutely no experience of aires at the time but knew from the App that this one had two places available. It was late and dark as I turned into a “co-operative” shop car park and, as I approached the riverside, I saw that two motorhomes were already parked facing the river, but I was relieved to see that there was just enough space between them for me to reverse in. As I manoeuvred I gently nudged the mirror of one of the motor homes. I quickly jumped out and moved the mirror inwards allow room for me to park. Feeling very pleased with my self I waved at the owner of the motorhome, who was looking through the side window and commented to my wife that I hoped he did not mind us being so close.
Looking back on this I can see that I broke quite a few “rules” and I know better now so, if it was me, please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Last edited:

KarenJoeandPups

Free Member
Sep 27, 2017
Funster No
We were on North Uist a couple of years ago we met a young couple and got talking. We fount that one was from Edgware where my OH lived and the other one from Stockport, one each for our homes towns. We were in a cafe on Skye and the owner was from around the area my OH grew up. We are both in the Midlands now, what a small world.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just over twenty years ago I was living in my old VW van for the summer in a campsite down in Devon. I was out at work all day on a building site. I used to come home grab my surfboard and go off for a surf or if there was no surf grab a shower then chill out etc. Being a popular campsite it had a regular turnover of guests so I would have different neighbours every week. Some happy and chatty others you wonder why they were on holiday, they could have stayed at home and been miserable.
One particular day I came home and the couple next door started chatting straight away, they offered me a cold beer, it was a hot evening and I had been working hard so how could I refuse, we chatted about how I was living in my camper etc. I finished my beer and said thank you, have another they said, well ok then just one more. We are just going to fire up the BBQ join us for some food, no, no. Well ok then. A few more beers and a loverly BBQ they asked what do you normally do for food after working all day and living in your camper. I looked straight at them and said.
I normally come home say hello to whoever is parked next to me, they offer me a beer then we get chatting then they offer me food, that’s my evening sorted. They looked at each other and said we have been conned and laughed so much. What a great evening we had. (y)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hubby and I were staying at our favourite campsite in Venosc a couple of years ago when I noticed 2 brand new VW California’s that that were towing 2 beautiful new caravans. I noticed the reg was Dorset and got chatting to the guy from one of the vans. Turns out he was from Wareham, knew my dad who had a shop in Wareham and his daughter in law taught at my old school. We had a lovely chat reminiscing about how lovely Dorset was. He was telling me how he lived on the Quay in Wareham. And how he loved to walk his dogs on the riverbank. All in all a lovely man. On my return I asked my dad who he was.......only the chap who owns U Drive. No airs or graces, just a really down to earth man. It did explain all vehicles being brand new though :LOL:

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We parked up once next to a lovely Spanish gentleman with whom we struck up a nice friendship during our 2 week stay. He was an excellent cook and treated us to some wonderful traditional Spanish meals as well as teach us how to make some ourselves.
It turned out that this quiet man was an ex-Guardia Civil anti-terrorist (Basque ETA) squaddie, badly wounded in service and retired early as a result. Although he did not go into any detail, it was obvious that he must have been involved in numerous dangerous missions in the Basque country at the height of their troubles.
About 10years ago while on a site at Lake Garda we got speaking to a couple from Brecon, she was Welsh he was a Londoner both lovely and unassuming. We had a few beers with them over the week, we swapped numbers and have kept in touch with them visiting us up in Scotland the following year then us to Wales.
When we visit their house we were shocked to see how decorated he was and was also an MBE or OBE I can’t remember for his services to the army, it also turned out she was headmistress of one of the top private schools in the U.K. He didn’t say much about his awards but she was very proud of him and rightly so, we still keep in touch even though they don’t have a van just now as they are living abroad as she is now head of a top international school.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
On our first winter trip to Spain, we were pitched up diagonally opposite a couple we knew through dog walking that used to live around the corner from us.

Another time, when out for a walk near Mont St Michel we, literally, bumped into a couple that we’d meet a few years earlier during a hotel holiday in the Algarve. Turned out that we were both staying on the same campsite.

Ian

Stu-cambs

Free Member
Oct 19, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Cheyenne 696SE
So we travelled from Cambridgeshire all the way up to a CAMC site in Aberdeen, on checking in the warden says "have you travelled far ?" I said "yes we came from a little village in Cambridgeshire , you wont of heard of it" He said "oh whats it called?" So I told him and he then proceeded to reel off all the road names and inhabitants of the village ! It turned out he grew up in the village 50 years earlier !
We then got our pitch and a couple of days later started talking to the guy next door who had a brand new flash Carthago , he was from Dundee and asked why we were up in Aberdeen , told him we were visiting family etc. When meeting my cousin later that night at my Aunties house told him about the guy who was pitched next to us, he said "hold on I think I know him ! " (the new carthago and his occupation gave it away), turns out my cousins wife is a dentist in Dundee and this guy was one of her patients (and she had an appointment with him the next week) !! I couldn't get wait to get back to the site to tell him " dont forget your dentist appointment next week" and the look on his face was priceless !!

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Not sure as I only joined last year and although there's no charge I believe you're expected to buy a meal or at least have a drink or two.
Thank god I've not yet experienced the delights of British sites!!! This wasn't the kind of friendly social intercourse I had in mind!☺☺☺☺

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Thank god I've not yet experienced the delights of British sites!!! This wasn't the kind of friendly social intercourse I had in mind!☺☺☺☺
You might need to take some of the posts on here with a pinch of salt.
Agree you meet all sorts of people on sites same as a large group of people anywhere, some places on the apps for finding a night stop over are unfortunately (or not depending on folks preferences) used for all sorts of altenative activities.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
You might need to take some of the posts on here with a pinch of salt.
Agree you meet all sorts of people on sites same as a large group of people anywhere, some places on the apps for finding a night stop over are unfortunately (or not depending on folks preferences) used for all sorts of altenative activities.
Don't worry Sue, my tongue is lodged very firmly in my cheek! I confess that if I were confronted with a merry band of swappers or doggers, I would giggle, peek through my net curtains and happily let them get on with it, as long as they didn't carry on up against the back of my van!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We will be social to our naibors on sites but we find the most social are fellow dog owners. The dogs want meet each other so the owners have to talk to each other.
On a couple of sites we have had dogs wander up to our van wether we have muttly with us or not. They can sense dog owners.
Whilst waiting for a ferry in New Zealand a dog climbed in the van and made its self at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back