Do You Jack it, or Not? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Although your MH is 4.5t the jack would only be lifting one "corner", as it were, so the jack would be quite ok to do that.
Not quite. I have a 2 ton jack and was as much use as a chocolate fireguard tring to lift up the rear of my Jumbo Tranny (3.5 ton)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I carry a jack capable of the job, I carry a spare wheel capable of the job I carry a torque wrench capable of the job...

I would change it myself on the hard shoulder.

I have warning triangles etc so would use them.....

Boll**s if Im waiting 4 hours for someone to arrive and charge me a grand....

Interesting thread though, thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
How many garages/tyre companies are open from 4 PM on Saturday till 9 AM Monday. Being taken to a closed garage is not much use unless you like sitting watching the world go bye over the weekend.
It could take me 'till Monday if I had to walk to a garage, with a wheel, is the way I look at it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I had a blow out last year on the M6 Near Leyland, in my new to me N&B over 4 tonne MH.
I called ADAC who called me back and said as I was over 3.5 tonnes it would cost me £400 to tow me off the motorway.
:Sad:
As I was only a few hundred metres from the exit I pulled off the motorway and parked on a side street.

I looked for the spare wheel and guess what. For all of that money, an 18 month old Arto, although you have 6 wheels you don't get a spare one:Doh:

Instead you get a repair kit, which according to those who know is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

So after much twoing and froing, I called kiwi-fit mobile who came out with a replacement tyre, but it was the wrong one, but the only one they had close.
They ordered me another from Northampton ( it was 4pm by then) and I settled in for the night.
10.30 next day they arrived and fitted the new tyre at a total cost of £120

What a result, they got my admiration.

So what surprised me was

1. No spare wheel on a very expensive MH
2. When I looked at the jack supplied with my 4.5 ton Motorhome, it had a max weight of 2 tonnes:Eeek:

But it would only be lifting a max of 2 tons, ie one corner of van. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not quite. I have a 2 ton jack and was as much use as a chocolate fireguard tring to lift up the rear of my Jumbo Tranny (3.5 ton)

I had a jack on my truck, 38 ton gross at the time, jack only 10 ton. NO PROBLEM AT ALL. BUSBY::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally i would limp the motorhome to the next exit and destroy the tyre before paying £1000 or more to close a lane. a new tyre and wheel can be sourced for £200 or less

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
jack

I have for many years carried a jack, spare wheel and all the kit, and would change my flat tyre , it is very dangerous, but your motorhome stuck on the side of any road is also, a wheel change can take about 20 mins,better that than hours waiting for help, if you can do it do it:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
I'm a little surprised that you never thought to find out where the spare wheel was when you collected your new MH. You would then have realised that not all MHs have one. Luckily Auto-Trail supply one from new.w :thumb:

Although your MH is 4.5t the jack would only be lifting one "corner", as it were, so the jack would be quite ok to do that.

As this was our first Motorhome and the handover was a joke to say the least, the salesman, I now know,new less than me so a spare wheel was the last thing on my mind.
I unassuming thought that a spare wheel would be supplied.
I now know after being on this forum that nothing should be taken for granted:thumb:

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
So the question is, where can I get a spare wheel, and spare wheel carrier fitted without paying a kings ransom to Travelworld ?
I am happy to travel if people have a recommendation::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have for many years carried a jack, spare wheel and all the kit, and would change my flat tyre , it is very dangerous, but your motorhome stuck on the side of any road is also, a wheel change can take about 20 mins,better that than hours waiting for help, if you can do it do it:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think it's the danger angle that worries me the most. What is the jack standing on, not often a flat surface presents itself if these situations. Then, unless you have an axle stand handy, the side/end your working on is suspended on the very small area of the jack head. For my money, I will phone the man, brew up, and wait for him to arrive.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
He also said that the AA, RAC, Green Flag blah blah, put a limit of 3500kg on a wheel change. Food for thought.

This worried me a lot as our new (to us) mh is 4.5 tonnes. Called the AA who said they didn't cover over 3.5 tonnes! Then called Safeguard who we insure with and they say their special policy with the AA does cover vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and referred me to page 10 in their policy document which specifically states that they are covered - phew!!! can stop worrying now.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
As this was our first Motorhome and the handover was a joke to say the least, the salesman, I now know,new less than me so a spare wheel was the last thing on my mind.
I unassuming thought that a spare wheel would be supplied.
I now know after being on this forum that nothing should be taken for granted:thumb:

A lesson learned, but one that you will benefit from. ::bigsmile:

NEVER assume that the salesman knows what he is talking about.
He doesn't need to, he only wants to make a sale and move on to the next punter. :Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A lesson learned, but one that you will benefit from. ::bigsmile:

NEVER assume that the salesman knows what he is talking about.
He doesn't need to, he only wants to make a sale and move on to the next punter. :Angry:

Mine do know what they are talking about, if they didnt, they would not be working at Johns Cross.

As to changing an offside wheel, front or rear on a motorway or dual carriageway, highly dangerous, I certainly would not do it or ask any of my staff to do it either, only needs one careless driver and your DEAD.

Nearside you have plenty of protection unless you get shunted.

Peter

Peter

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As to changing an offside wheel, front or rear on a motorway or dual carriageway, highly dangerous, I certainly would not do it or ask any of my staff to do it either, only needs one careless driver and your DEAD.

Fully agree, Peter. Don't smoke, don't drink, don't know any mucky women, then get totalled by a TV watching Polish lorry driver.
Just not worth even getting involved.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Excuse smug grin, but having just had hydraulic levellers fitted I reckon I should be ok in any puncture situation. The Starseeker has a proper spare wheel, easily accessible, and the jacks can lift wheels on one side of the van completely clear of the ground. Happy to wait for Britannia Rescue to come and do the dangerous and dirty work whilst I just press a button and raise the wheels...

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Excuse smug grin, but having just had hydraulic levellers fitted I reckon I should be ok in any puncture situation. The Starseeker has a proper spare wheel, easily accessible, and the jacks can lift wheels on one side of the van completely clear of the ground. Happy to wait for Britannia Rescue to come and do the dangerous and dirty work whilst I just press a button and raise the wheels...

.....................................And the auto nut unwinder comes into play, then a small crane deploys out of the garage to lift the wheels.......:winky::winky:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
:thumb:
Mine do know what they are talking about, if they didnt, they would not be working at Johns Cross.

Peter

I didn't say they didn't know what they are talking about, I said never assume they know what they are talking about.

In other words, do your homework and ask loads of questions before you commit to anything.

Having read comments on here and having bought accessories from you myself, I am sure that your team DO know what they are talking about, but I would still assume that they didn't. ::bigsmile:

Before anyone else says it : Assume makes an ass out of u and me.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back