Do you have to pull over for the traffic wombles (1 Viewer)

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I had to travel up to newcastle yesterday, when i passed a vosa check point along the A17.

the question is are you legally obliged to pull over for checking if directed. I am assuming (probably wrongly) that it is only the police who have the power to pull you over.

I would stop in whatever vehicle as I have nothing to hide and being a nosey bugger would be interested to see what they are checking for and inspecting.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes, I'm sure they have the legal power to stop vehicles, particularly goods and busses....

....if stopping motorhomes I would guess they are looking mainly for over loading.

....and red diesel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Some months ago I was waved in to a checkpoint (in my car) along with several other cars. We were checked for emissions.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
VOSA together with various others, including PCSOs have designated powers to stop and direct traffic amongst other powers. Failure to comply with directions is an offence. The designation varies according to their role so is not necessarily a blanket one that they all have. See Police Reform Act 2002 for full details

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/contents

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Drivers are obliged by the Traffic Management Act 2004 to comply with the directions given by officers. This is briefly explained in the Highway Code:

• Highways Agency Traffic Officers have powers to stop vehicles on most motorways and some 'A' class roads, in England only. If HA traffic officers in uniform want to stop your vehicle on safety grounds (e.g. an insecure load) they will, where possible, attract your attention by
  • flashing amber lights, usually from behind
  • directing you to pull over to the side by pointing and/or using the left indicator You MUST then pull over and stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Then switch off your engine. It is an offence not to comply with their directions

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had to travel up to newcastle yesterday, when i passed a vosa check point along the A17.

[HI]the question is are you legally obliged to pull over for checking if directed. I am assuming (probably wrongly) that it is only the police who have the power to pull you over.[/HI]

I would stop in whatever vehicle as I have nothing to hide and being a nosey bugger would be interested to see what they are checking for and inspecting.
sorry but assumptions like that will cost you a lot in fines. VOSA checkpoints are not there for comedy value:Eeek:

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
sorry but assumptions like that will cost you a lot in fines. VOSA checkpoints are not there for comedy value:Eeek:

I didnt imply they were there for comedy value, also did state I am probably wrong in the assumption that only the police can pull you over.

Just interested really, as I have never been pulled over by them.

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
THey don`t have blue lights or sirens....That is all I am stopping for, I know nothing of these new powers that they have to stop me, no one told me....How am I supposed to know if no one tells me?

I don`t do TV with adverts, nor do I do newspapers....I don`t do other humans much either to be honest.....I prefer to live in a bubble.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Passed a VOSA vehicle parked in a layby/bus stop on the A31 this morning, just outside Ringwood.

On the highly visable rear end were the words "TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT" in luminous letters. The vehicle had Red and Orange flashing lights.

Didn't see them pull anyone in but about 5 minutes later they drove passed me and then pulled in again in another layby.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
THey don`t have blue lights or sirens....That is all I am stopping for, I know nothing of these new powers that they have to stop me, no one told me....How am I supposed to know if no one tells me?

I don`t do TV with adverts, nor do I do newspapers....I don`t do other humans much either to be honest.....I prefer to live in a bubble.

ignorance of the law or the highway code has never been a good defense :Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Passed a VOSA vehicle parked in a layby/bus stop on the A31 this morning, just outside Ringwood.

On the highly visable rear end were the words "TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT" in luminous letters. The vehicle had Red and Orange flashing lights.

Didn't see them pull anyone in but about 5 minutes later they drove passed me and then pulled in again in another layby.
theres a checkpoint just by the roundabout at the end of the spur road (A338) at Ashley Heath. have seen the checkpoint and VOSA active on many occasions pulling in all manner of vehicles for inspection/weighing. mostly in the summer though when the area gets busy with tourists

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

ignorance is NO defence in law. fail to stop when ordered to and i can see it ending with you fined and or in court with points on your licence

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I [HI]didnt imply they were there for comedy value[/HI], also did state I am probably wrong in the assumption that only the police can pull you over.

Just interested really, as I have never been pulled over by them.
Traffic wombles? sounds like it

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
ignorance is NO defence in law. fail to stop when ordered to and i can see it ending with you fined and or in court with points on your licence

Me having an HGV as well.....I really should know better:thumb:
Just as well I don`t give a stuff:winky:

Balls to `em all, every single little piggy one of them....I am here for a good time, not a George Orwell time:RollEyes:

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Vosa spotchecks.

We were stopped just outside Perth 'bout 8.45 last august. The official said he thought we were in a horsebox till he clocked the 3 bikes on the back! He was slightly apologetic but gave us the quick once over anyway.:winky:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve been pulled by them in me van they check lights, tyres,tax disc, wot you carrying they have a sniff to see if you smokin waccy baccy,and then when you think they finished another one comes up to the van,He`s from the Dept. of Evironment
" I see you`re carrying waste/scrap/rubbish do you have a waste handlers licence sir" That`s another warning notice. Oh yeah an that`s about £180.00:Sad::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

POP:ROFLMAO:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Highway agency.. or whatever you want to call them (better known as plastic police) can not stop vehicles, only vosa and marked police car can.

If anyone trying to stop one of our trucks looks a bit dodgy, we have a bright orange card we show telling them to take us to a police station.... not tried it yet though.
H/A maybe able to attract your attention on a safety issue. But they really are a pain in the arse when we are trying to do a repair on the hard shoulder.

Last edited:

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
As an OLD Trading Standards officer I can remember the days when we stopped lorries to weigh them with a sign similar to the ones used by 'lollipop' patrols. Then, it was perfectly legal for us to do that. It all came to a halt when the hijacking started and then the powers were removed and only a uniformed policeman could stop vehicles. Now, I believe VOSA officers can stop vehicles, but only if the particular police authority has given them the authorisation to do so.

Or, it may have changed yet again. Personally I do not like the idea of stopping for anyone other than a uniformed policeman and also have experience of some VOSA officers who are less than reasonable in their attitude.

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
As an all female van load I would really like to know the legal position of stopping for anyone other than the police. Really don't like the idea that it could be some kind of ambush/hijack situation. Has that ever happened to anyone in the uk. My parents used to live in Papua New Guinea and over there you never stopped your car, even if you knocked someone over, the first summer I spent over there the passenger of a car which hit someone got beheaded (the driver ran away!!!)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
As I stated earlier in this post I saw one of these vehicles yesterday on the A31 Nr. Ringwood.
Following various posts I "Googled" VOSA for TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT details and discovered the following communications between VOSA and Michael Jones.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/vosa_traffic_enforcement

It would appear from these communications that it is quite complex.

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
As an all female van load I would really like to know the legal position of stopping for anyone other than the police. Really don't like the idea that it could be some kind of ambush/hijack situation. Has that ever happened to anyone in the uk. My parents used to live in Papua New Guinea and over there you never stopped your car, even if you knocked someone over, the first summer I spent over there the passenger of a car which hit someone got beheaded (the driver ran away!!!)

Hijacking (of commercial vehicles) was a very regular occurrence in the 70's, hence the removal of Trading Standards Officers powers to stop vehicles with a sign. I am sure hijacking does still take place on occasions, but not to the extent it did back then. That is one of the reasons you will see lorries parked in laybys with their rear doors open. It is to let people know that it is empty and there is nothing to steal.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hijacking (of commercial vehicles) was a very regular occurrence in the 70's, hence the removal of Trading Standards Officers powers to stop vehicles with a sign. I am sure hijacking does still take place on occasions, but not to the extent it did back then. That is one of the reasons you will see lorries parked in laybys with their rear doors open. It is to let people know that it is empty and there is nothing to steal.

oh I didnt know that! I allways thought the illegal immigrants had got out and didnt close thr door behind them:Doh:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
So, how does VOSA's right t stop and weigh fit in with this if you can defer any test until a later date? Or is this covered un a different edict?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back