Do you have a ring doorbell? (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It was quite clear in the article that this was about ring doorbells and the android app. No idea why you brought up the mic on the doorbell and what has Apple OS got to do with it?

You sound like an Apple user so you might not be aware that Android also has per app permissions which you have to allow to use the app and to give that app permission to access the hardware.
If you don't enable the mic you lose the ability to talk to the person at the door as if you were there.

Getting back to the point. This article is about Ring selling client data from android phones. That was the warning. No idea why you disappeared into the bushes?
Totally get it that’s it is about android but android is google software, google loves to suck up as much data as possible on any of their customers interactions.

Whilst it may be obvious to you others may find it useful to consider an alternative operating system such as Apple, who tend not to sell on customer data.

Regarding IP addressing that was mentioned in a previous post, if you have a vpn client on your mobile you can appear to be at home when you are not. I guess it’s about what level of security you need or lengths you wish to go to.

it’s always good to discuss and debate the topic and surrounding issues. Not saying I’m right or wrong it’s just how it is.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Totally get it that’s it is about android but android is google software, google loves to suck up as much data as possible on any of their customers interactions.
This is not google, it is ring embedding tracking software into their app. An IOS app could theoretically do the same thing.

Whilst it may be obvious to you others may find it useful to consider an alternative operating system such as Apple, who tend not to sell on customer data.
I do commend Apple on their approach to privacy. But they are extortionately expensive for what they do and they are beyond the pricing most people are prepared to pay.
I can afford Apple but I won't use them on the ground of their walled garden approach. I prefer open technology.

Regarding IP addressing that was mentioned in a previous post, if you have a vpn client on your mobile you can appear to be at home when you are not. I guess it’s about what level of security you need or lengths you wish to go to.
We are talking about joe blogs on the street here. Unless you have a specific need for VPN's then I don't see people installing them. We on here probably have the highest density of any community of VPN usage due to geographical lockout of media services and our propensity for foreign travel.

it’s always good to discuss and debate the topic and surrounding issues. Not saying I’m right or wrong it’s just how it is.

There is no right or wrong. I was simply pointing out a news item whereby Ring is shipping an android app that contains third party tracking software. Not good and thought as Ring had been mentioned on this forum a number of time it was worth posting. Ring is popular amongst motorhomers and caravaners due to being away a lot and being able to monitor the front door and appear to be at home even when you are not.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back