Do you have a motorhome more than 3.5 tonnes registered in France? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
If so, how straight forward is it to register and more importantly have road tested each year?

Any information very gratefully received, thanks

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We do . A fair bit of paperwork involved but not at all impossible . Ask Frankie :) hers isn't over 3.5 but hoops to go through are the same .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Our 3.5 was a doddle and CT(mot) is every two years!
Most important thing is to have a certificate of conformity!
If not too old this covers the chassis and the hab conversion!
I think (may be wrong) over 3.5 has to go to DREAL

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Ah, that's the sort of info we're looking for.

We have registered a UK registered car in France, surprisingly straightforward as the manufacturer made it easy to obtain the Certificate of Conformity, but as you hinted at Ken was wondering if over 3.5 t had a completely different set of requirements for registration, whether insurance varied due to the extra weight and how different the test was.

The test I gather is similar to the Class 7 (I think that's the category for above 3.5 t motorhomes) in the UK where the ministry HGV test center is used, if so I took a previous m/h to one for 5 years running so have a rough idea on that although not the French version.

Our m/h is 1992 so I doubt whether the CoC will cover the habitation but it will be best to find out what documents we have to produced before we start to order them. Guess it's down to speak with the people at the registration office but technical French is not our forte, ho hum.

Thanks

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Depends Ken if you have the right paperwork like everything. Is yearly CT for over 3.5. Happy to provide name if someone who can complete the dossier for a fee as he did for us and Frankie. Was recommended by DRIRE as it was then. As you say there are lots if ifs and buts !

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Your certificate will not cover habitation area so will have have to go to DREAL (DREEL)?
The French equivalent of VOSA!
I have heard some are easy going but some are not! Hey ho!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I got two C of C One from Fiat and the other from Hobby. It is 10 years ago we did it which is why I urge u to contact Frankie as she did the same route as us but just last year. She can tell you all you need to know :))

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Spitfire, the chap that can arrange this, is it polite to ask how much the fee was and how long ago

added

You answered as I was typing, Frankie it is then, thank you

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I think the age of the vehicle has a lot to do with it!
After i think! 2006 the CoC covered everything which made things much easier!
Also it depends on the area of France!
Same as UK you can get a great clerk or a total wazzock!!!

Good luck!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Spitfire, the chap that can arrange this, is it polite to ask how much the fee was and how long ago

added

You answered as I was typing, Frankie it is then, thank you

I can give you the name but Frankie dealt with him too and as it was more recent she can give you up to date info :) her van is an older van too but not sure of the year . But she will be very helpful I am sure :))

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I think the age of the vehicle has a lot to do with it!
After i think! 2006 the CoC covered everything which made things much easier!
Also it depends on the area of France!
Same as UK you can get a great clerk or a total wazzock!!!

Good luck!
Yes Ken is easier with a newer van . And the area does depend on the help you get !! Brive was excellent . Toulouse was terrible for Frankie so she came north ! No problem :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Veevee.... Frankie ...it's ME:whistle::p ...lol! Not the man who did the job!

For sure things (papers that is) will be easier to get far from big towns.

I will check what is to be done for over 3,5t. Sorry if you already said it but what year is your motorhome so I can read the right chapter on French regulation.

Oh and @Munchie , don't be surprised with the different names od the DREAL , it can be DRIRE or even MINES. Different names for the same office. It just changed with time that's all. I still say MINES and lots of people do the same.

Amicalement

Frankie:)
Just found out yours is 1992
Don't bother asking for any certificate of conformity .... you'll pay for nothing
I had both habitation and chassis , and got ...F.....!
You'll have to go through DREAL .
I'll have a look and ask Mister "You'll have your papers no prob" what's needed for you.
I had to pay 700 euros but had already gas fitted.
Keep in touch
Oh and if Air traffic control don't go on strike on the 16th I'll be away for 4 days!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

I will check what is to be done for over 3,5t. Sorry if you already said it but what year is your motorhome so I can read the right chapter on French regulation.

Oh and @Munchie , don't be surprised with the different names od the DREAL , it can be DRIRE or even MINES. Different names for the same office. It just changed with time that's all. I still say MINES and lots of people do the same.

Amicalement

Don't bother asking for any certificate of conformity .... you'll pay for nothing
I'll have a look and ask Mister "You'll have your papers no prob" what's needed for you.
Keep in touch
Oh and if Air traffic control don't go on strike on the 16th I'll be away for 4 days!
Thanks Frankie I knew you would help :) your experience is much newer than ours :)

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
The French, as most of us, don't like to pay for things they don't have to.
So they would prefer a CT every 2 years rather than 1.
There are also similar age restriction as of over 3.5 tonne in UK.& costly medicals.
The way round this seems to be to register at 3.5. Our Hymer has a 3.9 tonne plate but is registered at 3.5 & benefits from 2 year CT.
Might be worth having the Carte Gris @ 3.5.unless you need the payload.
Barrie.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
The process can be costly, I think I recall the Carte Gris is costed dependent on engine rating & my Renault Express 1.9 cost about 350 euros + CT + insurance, the Hymer is around 650 euros.
Insurance companies don't or won't insure fully comp for more than 90 days outside France.Rather limits long terming over winter in the sun.
We're thinking of going the other way & registering in UK.
Barrie.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Amicalement

Keep in touch

Thanks Frankie, have just pm'd you

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
The process can be costly, I think I recall the Carte Gris is costed dependent on engine rating & my Renault Express 1.9 cost about 350 euros + CT + insurance, the Hymer is around 650 euros.
Insurance companies don't or won't insure fully comp for more than 90 days outside France.Rather limits long terming over winter in the sun.
Barrie.

Thanks bjandlin

Surely the problem you will have by being UK registered is insurance if you want to keep your m/h in France or any other country that keeps it out of the UK for 11 months of the year, unless of course you take full timing insurance or use 3rd party only.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Barrie.

My insurance with Pacifica covers me for ALL EU countries with no time limits!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back