Do you have a Great Garage Storage Idea? (2 Viewers)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Got a large garage and as a trip usually lasts 4/5 months we have it rammed especially on the way back. Shelves, things hanging and stacked in boxes, the bikes are on the back.

The most useful bit of storage though is an open ended plywood box slightly larger than a Thetford cassette with the open end facing the door. It allows me to access and replace our spare cassette however disorganised and chaotic the garage has become. Essential as we invariably tour and often wild, and when you need it, you need it.

Dick

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
How much weight can be carried in a garage ? And where does one find this info?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How much weight can be carried in a garage ? And where does one find this info?
Normally a label in the garage, will also be in the manufacturers handbook. Most are either 250 or 350 kg. Unless you have a motorbike in there, probably more chance of overloading the rear axle than the garage.

Mar 11, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 1990
We are new to having a large garage and whilst it was important to us so we could store our full size bikes and we got a bespoke rack from the factory for that, we are looking to make the best use of its available space and walls with useful ways of creating storage options. Pictures of either your home made or purchased solutions that work for you in your garage would give us some options.
This is our first European so we are on a steep learning curve! Thanks and a Happy Christmas.
I purchased a racking system from Wickes that uses vertical rails that you fix to the wall of the garage and then insert shelf supports as required. This enables you to adjust the distance between shelves and has worked well for us.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dont know if they are great ideas BUT they suit us.

P1090653.jpg
The Tandem lives in the garage all the time, the black bag is for recyclable rubbish, the paper towel dispenser is very handy.

P1090659.jpg
Front wheel out and sits in a quick release on the far wall and then just ties to the framework at the back.

P1090651.jpg
This allows access to all the everyday things table, chairs, stools etc through the back door no matter how full the garage is.

P1090660.jpg

The ladder in the roof is just for getting right up the sides for cleaning and polishing, but it doubles as a clothes hanging rail for coats, especially wet ones.

P1090662.jpg
This is just a Mock up as we dont really have a wooden floor, these are some big boards for taking to Shrewsbury for New Year just in case anybody is worried about getting stuck. The attachment on the wall is really for the rear wheel of my mountain bike and is hinged so it goes away when not in use, when I want the bike in I just drop it down, slot the bike in and then tie the rope around the seatpost and fasten the handlebars in a little loop at the front.
The outside carpet sits in the bucket so that it drains if it goes away wet, The bit of wood around the bucket has 4 screws sticking out of the underside that stop it sliding on the carpeted garage floor and then the forks of Jen's mountain bike sit in the cut-out and the spare bit of rope goes around the handlebars and the back wheel gets bungied to the frame on my bike with a bit of padding in between.

P1090654.jpg
Aquaroll lives in the side nearest and the EFOY is tucked away on a shelf in the far side storage space, there is also storage space underneath that takes 2 extra batteries and the inverter, 3 storage crates for tools and tins of beans and a spare cassette, a Flair with the transverse beds rather than the two singles would not have the extra storage that we use for the Aquaroll and the crates etc.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That is one tidy and well sorted garage Martin.

Now where do I start...........:xblink:

Richard.

Thanks Richard

Its my domain, and I try to keep it organised and tidy, I used to have a tidy shed at home but then Jen started using it and it's now a tip, she knows she is not allowed in the MH garage.

Martin

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I like the bike idea Martin, I have a rack which I got from the company that N+B work with, but to be frank its far too much metalwork. I will study the others and pick out some bits that will work for me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I like the bike idea Martin, I have a rack which I got from the company that N+B work with, but to be frank its far too much metalwork. I will study the others and pick out some bits that will work for me.

I didn't want anything there when the mountain bikes weren't in, thats why I did it that way, when the bought the van at 6 years old there were cup hooks screwed into the garage roof and they were positively lethal so organising the space was my first job on the van.

As you say Michael, it's what works for you.

Martin

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
image.jpeg

Usually carry 3 bikes in with adaptors for various forks.(same track at other end to hold other bike/s) With having front wheels off allows for more space to fill with junk on the other side!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 54
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The only criticism of our van is the lack of a decent garage.

Our storage is under the fixed bed and can be accessed by lifting the bed struts internally or via the external hatch.

Whebever I am trying to squeeze, tables, chairs etc into the space from outside, it always reminds of that old joke..

How does a gynaecologist decorate his hallway.......thought the letterbox!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wouldn't say this is exactly a great idea but it works for us.

We got some lightweight plastic drawer units - each unit has 3 deep drawers and they're fixed to one side. The bikes are on an external bike rack the Tail Wagon is in the garage. We put a chrome rail across the roof of the garage for drying clothes on hangers as the garage is heated. We have Factory fitted rails top and bottom with moveable rings on it for attaching bungees to hold bbq, chairs, etc in place.

Keeping everything to the sides means we can still climb in easily to access things.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 87662
Usually carry 3 bikes in with adaptors for various forks.(same track at other end to hold other bike/s) With having front wheels off allows for more space to fill with junk on the other side!!

Hi @Chipster what's the frame, is it titanium?

Martin

Deleted User
Have only just found this thread, so a little late.
Bought our Dethleffs Trend in January, come the spring started on the usual upgrades. The garage is nearly full width, the opposite side of the door being the gas store.
Size of the door is about 800 high and 1000 wide. Bought 4 decent sized rubber castors and fixed to a plywood bed, made a small frame around the edge to stop stuff sliding off. Worked out how far I wanted the bed to slide out over the door and that was the guide for placing the castors, then balance the rear. To keep the castors running true installed aluminium angle 2 metres, and trial and error x3. Found the right setting. On the bed purchased 3 plastic boxes via 'The Range' of the right size, it could take 4, but by using 3 can move the boxes around. The ramps fit in the spare space. Tried for a couple of weekends, and needed some adjustment. Required a bump stop ( door stops with washers ) to stop the bed banging and distorting the gas store box.Then a small chrome gate latch to hold the bed from sliding in the opposite direction. Finally found that the castor wheels were rubbing against the ali channel, so raised the floor with 2 strips of wood where the castors run. The height of the castors now lets me store 2 tables and the solar panels, bed running free over them all. Enough room on top of the boxes to store another table and folding seats. The gap between the boxes lets me fit the wind break.So all in all, have used every morsel of space, and the only time I need to bend and reach in is about 1 metre to undo the gate latch. The only way to reduce weight of the ply wood bed, would be to use aluminium sheet, but would be expensive. Other than the castors and ali angle, had all the other bits in the shed.All in all about £30. Using the green holes awning carpet between all items, keeps stuff quiet and rattle movement free. Was going to fit a light, but as everything now slides into the open no need.
I think this works for smaller garages. For those with the higher garage that can take bikes etc. Could be adapted, but would need bigger components.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use a combination of really useful boxes and custom shelving racks.

To make the racks I use lightweight 18mm ply and a pocket hole jig/clamp. It is really really easy to make shelving units with this.

The really useful boxes are absolutely fantastic. They are really solid (you can stand on them) are close to square so no wasted space down the sides of the slope. and a clamp for the lids. This is one of the sets I bought. but they do a massive range. Just search for really useful boxes.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If anybody is interested I have a Fiamma Garage Pro bike rack which takes 2 bikes upright and slides out to make loading the bikes easy. It was in our previous motorhome but we don't use our bikes now and have a scooter in the garage of our new one instead.

Its an , so you can see it was not cheap. I will let it go for £30 and it can be picked up from Tunbridge Wells or I can take it to the New Forest meet in a couple of weeks time. Too big and awkward to post though.

Deleted User
Thanks for the recent resurgence in the interest. Regret don't do mobile phones, have had 4, and binned or gave them all away, my digits don't do 4 years old fingers, keypad spaces. So no photos. I think the suction pads are really good, especially at the new discount, but alas no value to a wee low garage.
Would really like to install a totally thief proof lock, not impressed with the Fiamma etc design, as in crowbar and job done.Any one devised a better system?

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Encouraging to see widespread use of bungee cords, marvellous invention.
I have a full width storage area, believe it's not officially a garage as it won't take full size bikes, but it holds plenty other gear.
Generally use the "stuff and wedge" method, which covers storage and keeping the load still in transit.
Before every trip, I stuff and wedge on the basis of what we used most/first on the last trip. Despite this, the first thing we want to get out is always at the bottom in the middle - how does that work?
Plus, I generally re-stuff and re-wedge 2 or 3 times a week when travelling, so some of the ideas on here are very useful. Now to do something about them before the day before our next trip.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back