Do you go out your way to help fellow campers? (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We arrived on site last night and mum and I used a torch to put awning up, despite people being around we were surprised no one offered us help. Today the rain was pouring down and after helping put up 7 tents the people were so grateful. To us it was always a done thing to help a fellow camper out,,,Is this not a done thing anymore or are mhs not in this category?

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
The thing is, did you look like you needed help? You see some do and some don't and not everybody is grateful. If I offer to help someone they may be thankful or they may think I'm inferring that they are incompetent. I have to say that, whilst I don't know your particular setup, I would have probably assumed that if you have a problem putting an awning up at night in a CP you would have chosen to wait until daylight. On the other hand, if I saw you broken down on a country road I would probably stop to offer assistance. It all depends on the circumstances

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The thing is, did you look like you needed help? You see some do and some don't and not everybody is grateful/QUOTE]

I think this is the thing. I'd feel a bit daft offering to help when I've never put up an awning in my life. I'd probably be more of a hindrance.
But if I think I can do something constructive, I do. I've dug my mini step ladder out of the locker a couple of times and helped retrieve awnings that have flipped onto the roof of a van.
And when I've had my car on a site too I've offered lifts to the local towns/ shops.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I often think I would like to help,but I'm really not that much use,I have asthma and C,O.P.D and although I look healthy( if a bit overweight) I just can't do what I used to do.:(

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I often think I would like to help,but I'm really not that much use,I have asthma and C,O.P.D and although I look healthy( if a bit overweight) I just can't do what I used to do.:(
Yes, you look healthy, thats why everyone should offer help in most cases.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We ask if they would like some help, any say no others are only too glad of the help. In many cases it is the man who has to much pride to say "yes please" as he thinks he can still do what he did when he was 20 years old. Pride is a killer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If somebody appears to need help I will offer. Also, if I spotted something like a flat tyre I would point it out (as Suggy did for us when one of the flashy red things decided to start flashing at Welland in July :)).

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do if I can.

I gave a Belgian chap my slip mats in France last week as he was stuck on a grass pitch after all the rain.

He was in a right state, revving the engine like hell , red faced and just getting stuck deeper and deeper. I put the mats behind his front wheels and he gave it real welly and shot off his pitch and into the pitch behind that was thankfully empty.

Then he was stuck again:banghead:

Eventually using sign language I managed to get the message across that he needed to take it easy and off he went.:whew:

paulkearnusic

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
since 1992
I'm stuck in a wheelchair since breaking my back and, on the odd occasions we've needed help, we found that people watch us struggle for half an hour before very shyly asking if we need help.
They ALWAYS ask my wife - never me.

If you ever see us in our old RV struggling as another bit falls of the awning - please ask - and ask me. Although my legs won't work my brain still works :) .

I think in general people want to help but, being British, we are naturally too polite to ask.

Nowt so odd as folk ..... :)

Paul

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
30 years ago when we first went to France camping in a raclet frame tent with a hexagon front end, we drove to the Vendee region in poring rain, we had gone via Paris on a early ferry. When we arrived I was knacXerd. I wanted to book into a hotel but the girls (then 5&7) wanted to put up the tent, the sea breeze got up and it was very windy. We got the canvas over the frame but had not pegs in (we were very inexperienced at this) up came a big gust and the tent nearly took off with the girls hanging on.

A lady and man came over

“You look like you need a cuppa and a hand”

Over the years we have always remembered that and we always offer a cuppa and or a hand if needed.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Me too,,would love to help some people and i do try, but with only having one leg, i tend to get in the way more than help..:(

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
As others have said, we would offer help if someone was obviously struggling but not otherwise for fear of being thought of as interfering.

Dave has wound people's awnings in for them on their absence when the wind has suddenly got up (having lost one ourselves, wouldn't wish that expense on anyone). And lent/ given things to fellow motorhomers when in need on occasion.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Always help when we see that it's required, but do find it laughable when the site duty expert comes along and placing hands on hips proceeds to direct operations without raising any personal sweat.:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was sure glad at Malvern when a sudden gust of wind caught the awning while I was setting it up and all the funsters came rushing to help - thanks everybody.

I'll usually offer help if I can see anyone needs it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the answer is in the question - it was dark and they needed torches. Everyone else was tucked up in bed or into the second bottle. I would help someone if they looked like they needed it but do you really need to put up an awning in the dark? Why not wait until the next day?

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
We're in the yes category, it costs nothing to ask if someone would like any help, to which they either reply no thanks we're fine, or yes please! (y)

And I can categorically say it isn't all MHs - when we were packing up my little Bongo and awning before leaving Malvern, Jim and I were struggling with the simplest thing, putting down a little collapsible table :doh: cos we dont take the Bongo camping often enough to remember how all the camping gear works :swear2: and a fifth-wheel owner nearby to us laughed (in a good way) and came to offer assistance, dismantled it in a flash, and said he was only laughing cos he's got the same table so knew exactly where we were going wrong :RollEyes:

Evidence inded that there is also no MH-RV-5th wheel divide either :cheers:

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
whilst stuck on a sandy pitch on an aire in France this year an English guy and his wife sat there in their chairs next to us while we struggled to get out, a dutch woman and her two teenage boys were the first to offer help, she said I dont know what she can do but she wants to help. Unfortunatly we still couldnt get out but then a French lady came over and said she was stuck too and that is we helped her out she would pull me out, so with the help of another german family we got the French van out and then they all helped to push me out and at 4.5 ton it wasnt easy whilst the English couple sat there watching

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes and yes again, we would offer to help if we thought we could and that the people in question looked like they needed help(y)

We have been in situations where we've needed help and were so grateful for it......but some people don't like to think that they need help and that's fine......we leave them to it:wink:

You never know when you might be grateful for help with something yourself and we've found that it can be a great ice-breaker for meeting people.

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Two brilliant funsters put my awning whilst we were away at Malvern so if you know who you are thanks it could of been a costly day I will help anybody if I can but most decline offers as I think most feel they can manage

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back