Do you find some motorhome technology more of a hindrance ? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My Frankia has an electric operated dometic skylight above the front lounge which has a built in rain sensor somewhere so it automatically closes if it's raining .....ive been caught out with this before when I accessed the roof via the skylight and the bloody thing closed on me.
But my main issue is that it doesn't know the difference between rain and condensation ...which means when I'm cooking and I open it to let steam out the bloody thing keeps closing.
Now I know what your thinking why not use another skylight ....well here's the thing I do ...I open the one directly above the cooker but the steam still travels forward and the only other skylight in the front is above the bed which you can't access with front bed raised. So I've no choice but to open the bloody electric one.

But it keeps closing grrrrrrrr

The van has an extractor fan but it's so noisy I don't use it.

So is there any modern gadgets on your van you just wish they had left as good old simple.

I mean how much effort does it take to open a skylight.....youve even to keep the feckin button pressed constantly to close it which takes an age.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We paid to have the soft close feature of the side door on our Globecar Campscout removed. It was a pain in the bum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
self build is the way .
make things simple and they work.
most m,homes seem to be designed by folk that never use them.
mind they might have a degree . hee hee.
If I had the time and the skill set id agree as I don't think there's a perfect van out there unless you build it yourself.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ours has an aluminium front blind, Manual thankfully but quite a few are electric and seem to keep going wrong, so yes some thing use technology just for the sake of it KISS.

Martin
That's another thing that bugs me with mine the cab blinds . The one on the front door makes it impossible to use the door when the blind is closed ....yet it would have been easy to make a blind that didn't hinder it's use.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, I disagree with some on this but fancy putting glass double glazed cab side windows in that cost thousands to replace unless you do it yourself.

And guess what the van we are buying has:rolleyes:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, I disagree with some on this but fancy putting glass double glazed cab side windows in that cost thousands to replace unless you do it yourself.

And guess what the van we are buying has:rolleyes:
At least they serve a useful purpose ask well(y)

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My Frankia has an electric operated dometic skylight above the front lounge which has a built in rain sensor somewhere so it automatically closes if it's raining .....ive been caught out with this before when I accessed the roof via the skylight and the bloody thing closed on me.
But my main issue is that it doesn't know the difference between rain and condensation ...which means when I'm cooking and I open it to let steam out the bloody thing keeps closing.
Now I know what your thinking why not use another skylight ....well here's the thing I do ...I open the one directly above the cooker but the steam still travels forward and the only other skylight in the front is above the bed which you can't access with front bed raised. So I've no choice but to open the bloody electric one.

But it keeps closing grrrrrrrr

The van has an extractor fan but it's so noisy I don't use it.

So is there any modern gadgets on your van you just wish they had left as good old simple.

I mean how much effort does it take to open a skylight.....youve even to keep the feckin button pressed constantly to close it which takes an age.
I have 2 of these on my Flair, along with 2 Fantastic vents. All 4 have rain sensors. The Hekis are worthless, as you say the slightest bit of damp even from dew they shut. The Fantastic vents only close when its raining. Sally and I have agreed next time round no pain sensing Hekis, but the Fantastic vents are another story, they are golden in every regard!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not exactly MH technology but it was part of the Van Pack. The Pioneer DAB radio controls drive both of us potty. You hardly touch the volume and it starts going into menus. We gave up and leave it permanently on Radio 2.

Bring back simple knobs and push buttons. KISS.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It seems a bit silly that if a boiler dump valve opens in freezing weather the pump will run to try and refill the boiler and will empty the fresh water tank.

Surely if the dump valve opens it should shut the boiler inlet pipe at the same time, or override the sensor.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Remember when you wanted to open your motorhome's windows. You popped them out to EXACTLY where you wanted them and then turned a thumbscrew on the arm to keep them there. What was wrong with that, nothing. Now they have these auto arm things that you push up and they are supposed automatically lock, then just push up again to release. But they don't. I'm sure they know it's me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Alde heating controls, our old bus just has a slider switch for electric 1kw or 2kw gas on/off pump on/off or continuous and then a dial for temperature, the digital controls panels do take a bit of mastering I believe.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Alde heating controls, our old bus just has a slider switch for electric 1kw or 2kw gas on/off pump on/off or continuous and then a dial for temperature, the digital controls panels do take a bit of mastering I believe.

Martin
Yes to a degree Martin, however when one considers the other thread re Truma heating, the Alde 3020 is a swish piece of kit, I can set a night time schedule, a daytime schedule all with temperatures etc, none of this Truma faffing. Then add in load monitor and smart control you have a good system. For example I have a small fan set on my van at circa 13c I have used the app to switch on the Alde heating set 2kw and 17c to get the basement warmish!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Ours has an aluminium front blind, Manual thankfully but quite a few are electric and seem to keep going wrong, so yes some thing use technology just for the sake of it KISS.

Martin

Our Eura Mobil had the same but electric and in 4 and half years it always opened ;) but every time you used it, :whistle: in the back of your mind you were hopeful . :LOL:

One thing that pi$$ed me off was it was righthand drive but had what would have been a drivers door in germany, :rolleyes: but the electric window switch was on the other side :eek: even though that side had a sliding window and no door. :LOL: Bob.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes to a degree Martin, however when one considers the other thread re Truma heating, the Alde 3020 is a swish piece of kit, I can set a night time schedule, a daytime schedule all with temperatures etc, none of this Truma faffing. Then add in load monitor and smart control you have a good system. For example I have a small fan set on my van at circa 13c I have used the app to switch on the Alde heating set 2kw and 17c to get the basement warmish!
I have the aldi 3010 and on this occasion I'd prefer the 3020 as it's programmable...which I think would be handy

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
i struggle with the indicators............

but that may be because my daily drive is a bmw.....:D

Acknowledging that indicators exist is the first step on your road to salvation. Praise be to God.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That’s on possibly because you have read and understand the instructions (y)

Martin

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hymer forgot to put a door on the drivers side of the cab...

...and we have an electric awning that takes forever to extend/retract...

...and the grey water drain tap is buried deep inside the cave, and is operated by cable so is difficult to shut off properly. So I'm probably another leaky traveller...

And another thing. The grey water pipe is too low for most waste water carriers.

And it's impossible to fill the windscreen washer bottle.

And, and, and...

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Agree about the front screen electric shutter, works great never a hiccup. But fully understand nervousness when using, during our handover we asked what happens if an electrical fault how do we get the bed up, guy explains it and points us to a page in the handbook, ok what about the metal shutters? Aaah, sorry you cannot raise them manually so what do you do Hmmmm, not sure...., still waiting for a sensible response 3 years on o_O.

Frankia service locker is a great concept, neat, well built and apparently according to the marketing been copied by lots of people and it works very well keeps everything neat and tidy but the electric cable hookup can be a PIA. Instead of fumbling around threading a plug though a hole in the locker then faffing around connecting it up, why not just have a covered socket on the side of the van, same for filling with water, really simple and easy.

Tec Tower ovens work fine, but the grill is just a useless piece of metal that reduces the size of the working oven :mad: but at least they can claim it has a grill function.

Thanks, this thread has set me off, I now want to have a moan about window locks, Alde instructions, Avtex TV channel lists, all the temperature displays in the van, electric steps, sat navs, led strip lights, fridges there is so much .... so I'm having a herbal infusion to regain my karma;)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I don't have any problems with technology .... my motorhome is so old I still use candles :D2
Joking aside, after looking at new motorhomes (which I couldn't afford) at the NEC, I got thinking all this fancy new tech is great but what will it cost to repair if it breaks when it's out of warranty.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am glad we have not got much electrical technology- our overcab bed, windscreen blind etc. are manual.

Our N+B Arto, and Martin's Flair have double aluminim sandwich walls/roof which is structural with no internal wooden support. I think that is where the money on 'improvements' should be going rather on 'Gadgets'.

Hymer have started to produce some models with this construction, as do some of the very upmarket manufacturers, but it does require expensive tooling, which requires a long pay-back period, and it is probably cheaper to stick in a few electric motors and give them prominence in the brochure.

I know which I would prefer they spent the money on within a given price - and for longer life with fewer hassles.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back