Do you find some motorhome technology more of a hindrance ? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We paid to have the soft close feature of the side door on our Globecar Campscout removed. It was a pain in the bum.
Whats up can't keep waking people up with the electric version, too quiet?

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
It seems a bit silly that if a boiler dump valve opens in freezing weather the pump will run to try and refill the boiler and will empty the fresh water tank.

Surely if the dump valve opens it should shut the boiler inlet pipe at the same time, or override the sensor.

It can be a bloody pain in the rear alright, especially if you are out and about in the winter. The dump valve was supposed to be an idiot proof device so that we would not wreck our boilers if they froze while full of water when laying up for winter. It's more trouble than it's worth and can dump at well above freezing point, I think 3 degrees on mine. I tend to think we are not idiots and are quite caring and responsible when it comes to the routine winter chores like manually emptying the boiler if laying up. The fear of a frozen boiler and massive bill should alone make us mindful of doing this. I have been using a work around to stop the boiler dump valve popping out and dumping the boiler contents when using the van in winter for breaks and it works well. A very strong small elastic band that goes around the pop out switch and the valve body and holds the pop out switch and valve shut not allowing the water to dump.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Whats up can't keep waking people up with the electric version, too quiet?

I have one of these unmotorised sliding doors on my van. If you slam it closed with the handle it makes an almighty noise and yeah would wake the devil up. Now if you pull it to within six inches of the closed position and then push it at the rear to finish closing it they are no noisier than your neighbours motorhome habitation door. Like you I cannot see why the previous post would have had the motor taken off though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
We paid to have the soft close feature of the side door on our Globecar Campscout removed. It was a pain in the bum.

Come on Manxcat tell us why it was a pain in the bum - we are all in suspenders now! It could also help anyone contemplating buying a Globecar.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have one of these unmotorised sliding doors on my van. If you slam it closed with the handle it makes an almighty noise and yeah would wake the devil up. Now if you pull it to within six inches of the closed position and then push it at the rear to finish closing it they are no noisier than your neighbours motorhome habitation door. Like you I cannot see why the previous post would have had the motor taken off though.

Thats if you are closing the door from the outside,but if you are inside you have to slam it,unless you know something i don't ,
:smiley:

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Thats if you are closing the door from the outside,but if you are inside you have to slam it,unless you know something i don't ,
:smiley:
Sure do know something!! Have also fitted a grab handle to the rear of the door inside, it works the same and is quiet when closing.(y) I hate noisy neighbours:)

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Sure do know something!! Have also fitted a grab handle to the rear of the door inside, it works the same and is quiet when closing.(y) I hate noisy neighbours:)

I tell no fibs and here it is and well worth doing, rich. Looks like it's fixed to the door casing panel, but it's not.
WP_20171117_003.jpg

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
slightly off topic my wifes little kia went in for a service last friday i was asked if there was anything wrong with it i told them the clutch release bearing was noisy she behind the counter said to me that will be £85.00 +vat for the diagnostics to which i replied no computer will find the problem so just get me a fitter with 2 ears job done what way next will they think of next to squeeze money out of you

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
There is a fix for that by entering a set of numbers.This can be found on the internet

Any idea where?

I've search high and low my friend, I can't find a thing :(

My radio is the same as this one:

IMG_0714.JPG

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Just trying to be helpful on this radio topic. From experience, the radio thing ( I have one fitted ) has been done to death on the Auto Sleeper Owners Forum and has caused many to lose their hair and many a friend to be lost. This is a well known cock up and someone paid to think at Peugeot did not have a brain. It is the Peugeot based chassis/ conversions that are causing the trouble and not only on Auto Sleeper models. There is no fix apart from re wiring it or replacing the head unit, which I know others have done. Re wiring it is not easy and could bring the canbus dashboard fault warnings into play. If you have a Fiat chassis based vehicle there is no problem and the time off can be set to what it says. All the fixes on the internet do not work for later model radios in Peugeot chassis. I took this up with Peugeot and the reply was that when Peugeot put these radios into the dashboard they were meant for their goods vans and meant to be eco, ie switch off to save power. There is no fix it was meant to be this way. The fact that the chassis could also be used in a motorhome conversion was never thought of. All the fixes on the internet pertain to earlier model radios or Fiat based radios and the numbers code that has been quoted does not work for later models. The silly thing is that I had a 2015 Bailey motorhome conversion, on the Peugeot chassis, the radio is identical to the later one I have now and the off timer could be set to stay on - help my head hurts, same radio but now eco. What I now do is leave the radio on when parked up and when it times out just switch it back on again. Yes it's a pain, but I am still sane. Don't let this drive you insane it could well do so.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Bobby22. Looks like he has the eco radio fitted, and that's why he posted, that it wont stay on for more than 20 minutes!! Yes if the radio shows the photo settings of 180 it can be set to that because it's a non eco radio. If it's an eco radio 20 minutes is the maximum it will stay on even if he alters the settings in the radio menu. Would be nice to know what motorhome year and model he actually has. As said before done too death already and no solution.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't have enough hair left to pull any more out :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice @fairford rambler , I shall abandon my quest for a fix before I drive myself slightly insane looking for a solution that doesn't exist (y)

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Neil I agree with you about the oven, but not the grill. It browned the top of the large lasagne I made very nicely indeed. Granted it is useless at toast, just warms the bread. But you have to understand that it is a European oven and they are only just beginning to understand sliced bread, so they are nowhere near understanding toast yet.

I asked a French friend what the French word for 'kettle' is. There isn't one. 'Bouilloire' is generic - boiler. Same for Spanish. I just looked up 'kettle' in my Sp dictionary and then reverse-translated the word on offer - 'tetera' - teapot!

Though the Spanish are catching on to sliced bread - pretty awful stuff, even the so-called 'wholemeal' - so toasters are to be seen in the appliances depts.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
I can only say, as Mr Smugness-on-Wheels that, as I built it, I can fix it. Same in my house. Both are 'machines for living'. I wouldn't have it any other way.

My self-built van is a work in progress, as most are. I use what I have installed. If it works perfectly, I leave it. If it can be improved, I do that. If I then find I need some gizmo - say an electric pump rather than gravity to move water about, I'll fit one. And when I say 'need' I mean as essential, rather than just convenient.

I will admit that a heater would make life more comfortable - I am not looking forward to getting out of my bunk in the mornings on my run north to UK through Sp and Fr in the next week or so. I've just seen a photo of snow on the beach at San Sebastian. Without one, I'll live, but there is an Eberspacher waiting for installation when I get back to Blighty.

You soon learn, if you go to sea in a small boat, the difference between the essential and the merely convenient. And, with boats and campers, you can be perfectly comfortable with just the essentials. Have the convenient by all means but do not allow their continuing function to hold hostage your pleasure and comfort.

Otherwise you are at the mercy of the teeth-sucking bandit who says, "Hmm. I think Jim in diasgnostics is going to have to have a look at that... Can you come in again - say - two weeks Friday? "

I have a pal who makes a living with a couple of powerful laptops running arcane vehicle diagnostics software. He says "Garages call me in when they can't work out what the problem is." And, as vehicles get more electric yet, he's in the right biz.

Electric beds? I had no idea. I designed my bed. Then I found the dimensions were suspiciously familiar. I found that IKEA had already made the exact right article! In tube steel rather than the riveted ali sections I was going to use. S/H - £40 inc mattress. Assemble with Allen key supplied - fit and forget.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back