Do you drive around in your van when you are away? (1 Viewer)

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We are about to set off on our second trip in our new motorhome....2 nights in Llanidloes at a riverside park

Apparently it is a 20 minute walk into the town which we will do (although we may need to get a taxi back as we are taking our two dogs and one of them is a rescued old dog who has pretty mangled feet from living in a cage for years...so she can't walk very far).

Generally though, wherever we go, we will probably prefer to use the motorhome as transport to go offsite returning to the site each afternoon/evening.

So, 2 questions...firstly, does anyone else do this or is it a pain having to pack everything away each day and then set it all back up on return. Secondly, should we/can we reserve our pitch or should we just return and accept that someone else might've nicked our nice spot in our absence? The site we stayed on last time gave us a numbered pitch so presumably no-one else would set up there because they wouldn't be given that number......do all sites have numbered/allocated pitches, in which case this won't be a problem for us?

Just wondering what you all do?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We stock up, park up, set up and then we walk, get bus, use train or get scooter off back of MH. Next year we will not have scooter any more and will use eBikes as and when needed. It's all to easy to use the MH to take you a few KM/miles down the road that you could have walked to. I know for some because of health problems have no choice, but for many other's it's just pure indolence......

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think it would help if there was a list of car parks suitable for MH's so that it would give the option of driving off knowing you'll find somewhere reasonably close to where you're heading, we made the mistake of trying to get into Newquay to find parking once, we did eventually but most car parks seemed to have height restrictions, and narrow roads...
Written and updated by our (MHF) own @GJH bless his cotton socks:
http://motorhomeparking.co.uk/

My frustration is with signage, you see a P sign, turn off and then are confronted by a height barrier. I am tempted to write to DfT to ask them to make councils show height restriction on any signage. It would make sense and be a lot safer, also it might cause some councils to question just where larger vehicles can park.
Totally agree!
And not just council car parks either - supermarkets, visitor attractions etc would also benefit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Broken Link Removed

My rig is one of the larger MoHo's with both ebikes and a 300cc Motor Trike in the Garage. I don't get the Trike out unless I'm staying in one spot for two or three days and I won't get it out just for a three or four Km walk or cycle. I am very impressed with the newer PVC's but I need to be able to walk around in mine and entertain.

Each to there own here they are all a compromise, I have loads of room to entertain and carry loads of gear but unlike many of you I can't park easily in small villages or supermarkets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Broken Link Removed

My rig is one of the larger MoHo's with both ebikes and a 300cc Motor Trike in the Garage. I don't get the Trike out unless I'm staying in one spot for two or three days and I won't get it out just for a three or four Km walk or cycle. I am very impressed with the newer PVC's but I need to be able to walk around in mine and entertain.

Each to there own here they are all a compromise, I have loads of room to entertain and carry loads of gear but unlike many of you I can't park easily in small villages or supermarkets.

Stunning motorhome and garden Popeye by the looks of it

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We are about to set off on our second trip in our new motorhome....2 nights in Llanidloes at a riverside park

Apparently it is a 20 minute walk into the town which we will do (although we may need to get a taxi back as we are taking our two dogs and one of them is a rescued old dog who has pretty mangled feet from living in a cage for years...so she can't walk very far).

Generally though, wherever we go, we will probably prefer to use the motorhome as transport to go offsite returning to the site each afternoon/evening.

So, 2 questions...firstly, does anyone else do this or is it a pain having to pack everything away each day and then set it all back up on return. Secondly, should we/can we reserve our pitch or should we just return and accept that someone else might've nicked our nice spot in our absence? The site we stayed on last time gave us a numbered pitch so presumably no-one else would set up there because they wouldn't be given that number......do all sites have numbered/allocated pitches, in which case this won't be a problem for us?
Just wondering what you all do?
I use a toilet tent, only takes a few minuets to put up then just chuck everything in it including the plug on the electric cable. It also tells others that the pitch is taken.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am tempted to write to DfT to ask them to make councils show height restriction on any signage. It would make sense and be a lot safer, also it might cause some councils to question just where larger vehicles can park.
I don't think that writing to the DfT will work because it would probably take a legislative change. The format of signage is controlled by legal requirements and it may not be possible to include the height on what would otherwise be a legal sign.

When I started my web site 9 years ago, very few councils published details of where motorhomes could park. When I revamped the site 2 years ago the number had risen to about 90. I e-mailed all councils again with the result that over half (200+) now publish details so it is worth checking before setting out for a destination.

If the the councils for the areas where you encountered problems don't yet publish motorhome parking guidance it might be worth e-mailing them, detailing the problems (especially if you can then say you went to spend money elsewhere) and ask them to change their policy.

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
park in the coach bays, if there are any, we did at Chepstow castle, no issues at all, many councils recommend this anyway.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
park in the coach bays, if there are any, we did at Chepstow castle, no issues at all, many councils recommend this anyway.
May I beg to differ. Some councils (and private car park owners) allow other types of vehicle to use coach bays but it is by no means universal so please check before using them.

It is a definite NO at motorway service stations where using a coach bay will result in a parking charge notice.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I don't think that writing to the DfT will work because it would probably take a legislative change. The format of signage is controlled by legal requirements and it may not be possible to include the height on what would otherwise be a legal sign.

When I started my web site 9 years ago, very few councils published details of where motorhomes could park. When I revamped the site 2 years ago the number had risen to about 90. I e-mailed all councils again with the result that over half (200+) now publish details so it is worth checking before setting out for a destination.

If the the councils for the areas where you encountered problems don't yet publish motorhome parking guidance it might be worth e-mailing them, detailing the problems (especially if you can then say you went to spend money elsewhere) and ask them to change their policy.
Having read the reply you got from them regarding highway parking the words chocolate teapot spring to mind so I won't bother writing to them.
This is a very good site and when enquiring of councils we should say you haven't replied to motorhome parking so I am having to contact you directly.
I also think the motorhome manufacturers should helping with this, Swift and Auto trail in particular, both on parking and provision of aires, they have some clout and some brass they could use, its in their interests long term too.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having read the reply you got from them regarding highway parking the words chocolate teapot spring to mind so I won't bother writing to them.
This is a very good site and when enquiring of councils we should say you haven't replied to motorhome parking so I am having to contact you directly.
I also think the motorhome manufacturers should helping with this, Swift and Auto trail in particular, both on parking and provision of aires, they have some clout and some brass they could use, its in their interests long term too.
The reply from the DfT regarding highway parking is exactly what they should have given, nothing to do with chocolate teapots at all. Civil servants have to work within the law as it is, not as one might like it to be. Neither the DfT nor the Highways Agency has any information about national legislation governing roadside camping because there isn't any national legislation in place.

To clarify my earlier post. All councils have responded properly to my enquiries. It's just the case that some (for reasons they have stated and are recorded on my web site) have decided not to publish motorhome parking information on their web sites. If, through other people contacting them, they realise that it would be a good idea then they will, no doubt, do so.

I wish the best of luck to anyone who contacts motorhome manufacturers to ask them to use any clout they have but I don't hold out much hope as they would have to see some indication of sufficient profit before they did so.
It's a similar situation with magazines. They may publish details which readers send in to them and say that they are behind the fight for more parking/removal of height barriers. However, I have yet to see any which will go out and proactively contact councils/private car park owners en masse because they would not generate enough extra income to cover the costs of the work.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
How do we fair in the car parks that we can park in when our vehicles are wider than most, are we likely to get fined/ charged for taking up more room?

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How do we fair in the car parks that we can park in when our vehicles are wider than most, are we likely to get fined/ charged for taking up more room?
Different councils have different rules about using multiple spaces. If they don't state their policy on their web site it is wise to get in touch before parking (there are always contact details on their web sites).

Once again, if people make contact to ask advice if it is not already published then they might cut their losses and publish in order to avoid more work in answering individuals.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It is a definite NO at motorway service stations where using a coach bay will result in a parking charge notice.
We managed to get ourselves into a coach bay at one motorway service station as the signage wasn't clear. We got very swiftly moved on, the guy explained that the coach bays were booked for specific times and there was only about 5 minutes leeway between bookings :eek:
Different councils have different rules about using multiple spaces. If they don't state their policy on their web site it is wise to get in touch before parking (there are always contact details on their web sites).
If you find yourself unexpectedly in this situation (council or private), there's usually a phone number on the park sign or on the ticket machine - call them and ask. If in doubt, pay for the number of spaces you're taking up and leave a note where anybody can see it. (That's an explanatory note, not a tenner ;))
I'd also say - if it's a small car park, don't use it, it's unfair on other users, unless you're only there for a very short time, & then one adult stay with the MH.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We managed to get ourselves into a coach bay at one motorway service station as the signage wasn't clear. We got very swiftly moved on, the guy explained that the coach bays were booked for specific times and there was only about 5 minutes leeway between bookings :eek:

If you find yourself unexpectedly in this situation (council or private), there's usually a phone number on the park sign or on the ticket machine - call them and ask. If in doubt, pay for the number of spaces you're taking up and leave a note where anybody can see it. (That's an explanatory note, not a tenner ;))
I'd also say - if it's a small car park, don't use it, it's unfair on other users, unless you're only there for a very short time, & then one adult stay with the MH.
The only thing I would change about that is to say "If in doubt move on" :) I've seen a number of cases of people being fined because the council concerned doesn't allow usage of multiple bays.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back