Do you change the fridge setting in winter? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I noticed out on our last trip that the gas use was high but the heating was not on a lot as the van is very well insulated with silver screen covers.
However the fridge was running all the time and seemed quite cold inside, almost freezing according to the thermometer in it. It is a new type Dometic tower fridge and it is set at the third point on the thermostat, I do not have covers for this model as the new ones I had in the workshop for the Chausson do not fit the Hymer, as the grills are much bigger. Do you think I should get some or is there really a good reason to have them. The gas flame is running continuously and I was wanting to know if the fridge actually does need more gas in winter to keep the heat circuit going or must it be shielded from the colder weather. I do not go to sites or have EHU except at home which i cool the fridge down with before loading it with cold goods.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have a Thetford fridge freezer, when on gas it cuts in and out as required and is very economical on gas. During a hot French summer we didn't change the bottle in over three weeks.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Get the winter covers and use them if ambient temp is below 8deg c. What happens below that temperature is the cold air passing through the cooling unit absorbs more of the heat from the burner leaving less energy for the cooling circuit therefore it doesn't cool as effectively so the burner never cuts out. The temperature setting in the fridge is determined by the thermostat setting, if its set at5deg c for example then the control circuit won't cut the burner till that internal temp is achieved.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I noticed out on our last trip that the gas use was high but the heating was not on a lot as the van is very well insulated with silver screen covers.
However the fridge was running all the time and seemed quite cold inside, almost freezing according to the thermometer in it. It is a new type Dometic tower fridge and it is set at the third point on the thermostat, I do not have covers for this model as the new ones I had in the workshop for the Chausson do not fit the Hymer, as the grills are much bigger. Do you think I should get some or is there really a good reason to have them. The gas flame is running continuously and I was wanting to know if the fridge actually does need more gas in winter to keep the heat circuit going or must it be shielded from the colder weather. I do not go to sites or have EHU except at home which i cool the fridge down with before loading it with cold goods.
Yes.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I'll order some covers for the winter then. Christmas money going bi bi.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I take it yours is a Dometic 8505 like ours. I set it to 4 in summer, 3 in winter and use a bottom vent cover. Don't use the top vent cover when running on gas.
The covers are not a waste of maney as you should fit them when washing the van and they stop a lot of crap blowing in when not using the van.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
The covers are not a waste of maney as you should fit them when washing the van
Not the best of ideas as they don't stop water from entering so giving a false sense of not getting this area wet. Far better to try to avoid getting too much water on the vents, then when you have dried the van remove the vents and check that all is well.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I made a plastic copy of the blank plate and fitted it to the bottom vent only, enough????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back