Do you alarm your van when in it ? (2 Viewers)

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Just got back from having a Strikeback "Growler" fitted, we only armed it when we left it to go for walks but reading this i will set every night:thumb:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
How many thieves are still around when an alarm goes off? The reality is that vehicle crime is being reduced year on year due to improved security.

Like all things in life it's all about choice.

Ten vans in an Aire, one alarmed with multilingual warning stickers on, special alarm stickers by the locks, bright external warning LED's flashing away and an alarm security loop protecting the trailer or bikes, nine with no visible security whatsoever. Which one would be burgled first?

Most opportunistic thefts are by people that don't want confrontation. If they didn't mind confrontation they'd simply knock on the door, stick a knife in your face and demand money. Consequently the risk of a security system sounding deters these people.

The proof? The number of reports where people that only have a car alarm fitted to a motorhome and have a single internal LED fitted inside the motorhome, obscured by the blinds, when a large screwdriver is used to take out the door lock, the door opened then when the alarm sounds the potential thief scarpers. So if the thief runs off when an alarm sounds, it stands to reason the thief wouldn't bother tempting a break in if he knew the vehicle was alarmed.

Eddie
I wasnt knocking alarm systems, In fact your company is bookmarked for when I replace my old truck. My question was, who has ever responded to one going off!! I know that the scumbag will often avoid something that is badged up with flashing led,s, but I was interested as to how forum members respond to hearing alarms!!:Smile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
...and I didn't think insurance paid out if it wasn't armed?
Not sure on that mind, just my thoughts.

Depends on insurer. Safeguard aren't interested in an alarm with mine and don't reduce the premium if it's fitted. They are only interested in an immobiliser and tracker.

Why feel guilty, if some "Prat" is watching and hears your alarm setting before heading to bed or leaving the MH for the day, He/She/IT will look else where....................

Probably guilty for the same reason I feel guilty about shutting my PVC sliding door when returning to the van late at night....it's very noisy and unsociable. Some alarms seem to have a 'blip blip' almost as loud as the alarm and likely to wake someone up. Maybe they should have a volume control:

daytime - loud
returning from pub at 10pm - quiet
returning from the Funster tent at 2am - silent

I'm not saying that the OP's is that bad, but there are some stupidly loud ones around...you might as well stand on top of the van with a loudhailer and shout "THE ALARM'S SET!" :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I put a bar across the cab to secure the front doors, and I've fitted internal webbing straps anchored on the back wall to the boot doors (we have rear bunks), and from the kitchen unit to the hab door. These straps have quick release clips on them if we needed to make an emergency exit. I hang two metal drain lifting handles on the hab door strap so they'd make a huge clatter if the strap was snapped, and then I set the door alarms.

I don't know whether to believe you or not :whatthe:

Where on earth do you camp for all this security or are you just winding me up:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Depends on insurer. Safeguard aren't interested in an alarm with mine and don't reduce the premium if it's fitted. They are only interested in an immobiliser and tracker.

Probably guilty for the same reason I feel guilty about shutting my PVC sliding door when returning to the van late at night....it's very noisy and unsociable. Some alarms seem to have a 'blip blip' almost as loud as the alarm and likely to wake someone up. Maybe they should have a volume control:

daytime - loud
returning from pub at 10pm - quiet
returning from the Funster tent at 2am - silent

I'm not saying that the OP's is that bad, but there are some stupidly loud ones around...you might as well stand on top of the van with a loudhailer and shout "THE ALARM'S SET!" :RollEyes:

Yes unfortunately the bleep bleep does sound loud when all is silent , it is that bad . But as i said we dont use it when in it only when leaving it.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We have the standard alarm fitted and set it before sleeping.

Nigel

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It sounds as though some Motorhomes are more like mobile fortresses, rather than vehicles for Fun an recreation......:Eeek:

Growlers..
Strikebacks...
Bars....
Straps....
Alarms....
Perimeter Alarms...
Movement detectors...
Flashing LED's.....
Warning Notices....

We have no alarms, and just standard locks and the factory fitted immobiliser.
We wild camp frequently with 2 young boys with us.

If I have to start worrying whether I had remembered to set the alarms, inside and out, lashed the doors with straps or bars, set traps for criminals etc etc, I would not bother leaving home. That does not sound like Fun.

If a place don't look right or feel right I just don't park up there.

:Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
It sounds as though some Motorhomes are more like mobile fortresses, rather than vehicles for Fun an recreation......:Eeek:

[HI]Growlers..
Strikebacks...
Bars....
Straps....
Alarms....
Perimeter Alarms...
Movement detectors...
Flashing LED's.....
Warning Notices....[/HI]

We have no alarms, and just standard locks and the factory fitted immobiliser.
We wild camp frequently with 2 young boys with us.

If I have to start worrying whether I had remembered to set the alarms, inside and out, lashed the doors with straps or bars, set traps for criminals etc etc, I would not bother leaving home. That does not sound like Fun.

If a place don't look right or feel right I just don't park up there.

:Smile:

Like your post lots of common sense. We have a factory fitted Strikeback alarm, stuffed if I'm fitting the [HI]list above[/HI] at the end of the day I want to enjoy my hobby.

If someone new to this forum was to read this thread they would be put of MH'ing for ever...... spend £30,000+++++++ on MH and £5,000 on the list above..........

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Right, here goes. :winky:

If on a site or meet that feels quite secure, doors locked and alarm set in the daytime (when going out). Doors locked at night.

If not feeling quite happy with site or meet security, doors locked, "D" locks deployed, and alarm set in the daytime (when going out). Doors locked, and passive alarm set at night.

If wild camping at night, drivers seat left in situ, habitation curtains closed, steel braided cable attached between cab door and steering wheel, doors locked and passive alarm set. This all allows me to get into the driving position at any time, and drive away..................in the "off chance" of being disturbed. It's always a good idea to think about easy egress when parking up for the night, ie, you don't want to be reversing in the dark, in an emergency.

Some may think the above is a bit OTT, but it has suited us and kept us safe for the past seven years. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. If I hear someone's alarm going off, I do try to observe if anything untoward is happening, and not just assume that it is a false alarm and walk away. I'd like to think others would apply the same consideration, if it were our MH, car, or house.

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Alarm On

We always arm the alarm when sleeping, and of course when leaving the van during the day. Hadn't thought about a bar between the doors but sounds like a good idea.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
As a relative newbie I feel a bit vulnerable or maybe that should be naive. Having lived in the Lake District and now Somerset. I probably don't have the same security attitude.
But my security is
1. Factory fitted door lock
2. Big barking dog( only if spooked)
3. Large baseball bat.
4. Swung by my amble 18.5 stone frame:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
As a relative newbie I feel a bit vulnerable or maybe that should be naive. Having lived in the Lake District and now Somerset. I probably don't have the same security attitude.
But my security is
1. Factory fitted door lock
2. Big barking dog( only if spooked)
3. Large baseball bat.
4. Swung by my amble 18.5 stone frame:thumb:

[HI]
You forgot

5. Gas mask

[/HI]Let's face it, whatever we do it's only a deterrent!
Leave a dog's bowl outside, even if you don't have one.
With my lad and SHMBO I feel relatively safe. Even vehicles on sites are done over. What risk with a tent?
Go away and enjoy.................

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Tried setting the alarm once
Dog needed to go out in early hours opened door without thinking loud alarms. I don't think we were popular as there were others there.
We don't bother now, two dogs, one of the lazy tykes would wake up and bark at the least.

Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Just to put things in perspective there are people in tents who have camped and never been robbed if it happens you are very unlucky and in a small minority
True, but having camped, very little of my stuff was worth nicking

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Nothing wrong bringing back old threads in my mind. Adds to the knowledge by including new members and peoe that missed it first time.

Personally I just lock the doors if I'm in it. You wouldn't want to break into my van when I'm inside. 👊

When I'm gone I have extra security. Chained the cab doors together, wheel lock etc.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Tried setting the alarm once
Dog needed to go out in early hours opened door without thinking loud alarms. I don't think we were popular as there were others there.
We don't bother now, two dogs, one of the lazy tykes would wake up and bark at the least.
We've put little hooks above all the door handles. Then we hang little aircraft style 'Remove before flight' keyrings off of the hooks when we turn on the alarm. So when we go to pull the handle and wake the whole campsite first thing in the morning, the little red ribbon thing reminds us to turn the alarm off first.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
There is some old threads been reserected today :unsure:
Tell me about it Carol. I thought,
I never wrote that 🤷‍♀️
Then realised Ralph must’ve done it 9 years ago 😵 He normally signs off with his name.
I’m still laughing at tying doors with straps and balancing metal bars on them so if they fell of it’d clatter and wake you up and webbing straps from front to back doors 😵😂
Jesus if I felt that unsafe I wouldn’t be stopping there.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Dont normally put the alarm on at night when we are in the van but I do lock the front doors and have the rear and side door unlocked in case we have to get out quick. Certain items are place by the sliding door to wake us if it’s opened. I am a light sleeper so if back doors were opened they would have to contend with the sight of me in bed as I sleep right next to the doors.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We don't bother with the alarm wouldent her it owing to the affects of gassing :rofl: :rofl: :imoutahere:
Bill.
Edit on a serious note we have parked all over the UK.
And Europe with no problems and parked in sum fairly bad place's.
Got broken in to outside my brother's house
But that was 20 ode years ago.
Brakins are verry few and far between no matter what you have alarms.
Just taking care whare you go and whare you park.
Is your best security's
Bill

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have set off an alarm on our van several times, unaware we have anything other than manufacturers alarm, but a bit embarassing moaning cause someone isn't turning off their alarm and neighbours point out it is yours 😂

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Van has Strikeback alarm which I always set at night as well as when leaving van in the day. Can still move about in van without setting it off while doors, external lockers and bonnet remain armed. Also have deadlocks on all doors. And a dog! :Smile:
Likewise for me apart from not having a dog

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Set my Growler alarm on external at night, it seems to work very well as tested on others very early in the morning when letting the dogs out on a Bruges aire😂😂😂
Pretty sure they wanted to wake up anyway😂😂

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It’s the school holidays now and people have started going abroad again so how long before the Daily Mail has a gassing story do you think. We’ve not had one since before Covid, I’m sure that would keep us all amused for a bit. I suppose it’s early days yet, I must be patient.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Following on from a previous thread and the replies i was wondering how many people had other security measures on their vans.
We have the normal door lock and alarm system. When going to bed we lock the doors but don't alarm the motorhome.
If i thought i needed extra security on the van , apart from the built in system , i don't think i would feel safe sleeping in the location anyway.

So out of interest who does what before sleeping ? (Lock wise :Blush::Doh:)

We have the standard alarm fitted and set it before sleeping
We have the standard alarm and don't set it before sleeping, only when leaving the van.
We have a strap , bar , chain or cable between driver and passenger door and use it every night.
We have a strap , bar chain or cable between the doors and only use it if we are parked up somewhere we feel we would need to use it.

Ive tried to do this as a vote , but it didn't worked and then i cancelled it but its still posted.
So it will have to do as it it. Sorry folks. I didnt preview it but you get the gist.
Yes when needed just fit a strikeback and have a peaceful nights sleep. The thing about eddievanbitz vanbitz is their system has been developed with MoHo users in mind. When I had two vehicles stollen and despite the keys being taken they left the MoHo behind I think the external LED’s deterred them and knew if get pressed a wrong button the alarm would go off and it probably has a tracker which it does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back