Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I know that the motorhome community on the whole wave at each other as they pass. I love this and enjoy waving and receiving waves too. So far I've not waved at a caravan! It seems to me that they always are looking the other way or are otherwise gainfully occupied. So what's the score? Do we wave or ignore? Do they look down on us or do we them? It may be that tuggers are just another species altogether. I've read posts from one time tuggers who have converted to motorhomes but so far have not heard of the reverse but I guess it must happen. Be interested to hear others experiences

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Good grief.....no. Travelling back today from Somerset, today if we had waved at tuggers as well as Motorhomes I would have developed repetitive strain in my arms. :roflmto:

Aside from that, my I pad auto corrects tuggers to thuggery :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You wave at tuggers if you want....but dont expect a response. :Doh:

purely a motorhome (wave) and motorbike (nod and/or wave to other bikers not M/H'rs :RollEyes:) thing.

could be wrong but i think it originated with the VW camper drivers of yesteryear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We always wave back at a tugger or caravan if they wave first.

Who knows, they may be one of our funsters.

We did start waving at caravans but no one waved back hence we now wait for them to wave first.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
nah i dont wave at caravaners as i feel they are different. i used to be a caravaner but i feel i only found my freedom once i started motorhoming. it really is great being able to think lets go somewhere fill up with water and lpg and go. am sure thats why most motorhomers wave its like saying yes we can go anywhere we want as well. its a bug motorhoming once youve done it. be intreasted to hear how many go back to caravans. after motorhoming

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
They're too busy looking backwards to see if their home is still there:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know that the motorhome community on the whole wave at each other as they pass.

Oh yes. There is a special wave. Because they tow an A frame we acknowledge this raising our hands and making an A shape with our first two fingers. Wave vigorously and they usually respond.

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
you have now.. see my profile , under avatar

Hi jim....I would be very interested to hear your reasons for switching to the caravan also your views on the pros & cons of both vehicles.

Cheers
Tony

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Hi Tony
I'm a tugger and have been since the late 60s. When we retired we got a motorhome cos we'd always fancied trying one. SWMBO suggested we keep the caravan in case we didn't like the motorhome :cry:. Several years on an we've still got both cos the holidays are so different. If we're going to one place and looking round we take the caravan - more space and more comfort especially if we erect the awning and we then have a vehicle for exploring and being a 4x4 Landy we can explore anywhere.

If we want to tour we take the motorhome - easy to up and move on and faciliities always ready to use but once on site have to rely on push bikes for getting about or struggle to find parking in towns. Also swmbo forgets we aren't in 4x4 and has even got us onto the beach in the motorhome.

I have no preference for travelling - I do about the same speed towing as in the motorhome but I suppose I could do 70 in the motorhome if I wasn't too botherd about fuel consumption .

At the end of the day it's personal choice they both do the same job but both have advantages and disadvantages. If I had to choose one or the other I'd go caravan but it'd be a hard choice so for now we do both:thumb:.

B

Bradplus6

Deleted User
I used to find it really funny when people started waving at us because we were in a motorhome - but we did quickly realise it was a motorhome thing. I did used to wave at caravans too but they didn't wave back often. Now I find it hard to resist waving at motorhomes when I'm in the car - every time I see one I'm pointing them out way before anyone else spots them. So if you see a woman in a black jeep waving crazily you'll know it's me.

Dot

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
You wave at tuggers if you want....but dont expect a response. :Doh:

purely a motorhome (wave) and motorbike (nod and/or wave to other bikers not M/H'rs :RollEyes:) thing.

could be wrong but i think it originated with the VW camper drivers of yesteryear.

I didn't realise that John, it explains why the VW '.ers are always the first to wave, it hadn't clicked until I read your post,thanks :thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Our tikes got VW engine and loud exhausts so everbody looks and waves at us sometimes I don't think there all happy waves but he ho kids love it when we go past so my beloved demented one puts her big daft grin on and gives them the royal wave
Make it big and loud

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
We often wave at caravanners. Just because they haven't quite fully evolved yet, doesn't mean we shouldn't be friendly :winky:

Actually, we also tend to wave at horseboxes, refrigerated vans, in fact any one of the many vehicles that resemble a motorhome at a distance :Cool:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
When we had a caravan we never waved to other tuggers, nor did they ever wave to us:Sad: but we would certainly have waved back if they did.

Since we've had the mh we always wave to other m'homers and 99% will wave back enthusiastically. It's a great feeling of "woo hoo, we're off somewhere nice in our van"!!

Even on sites, we've found that motorhomers seem to be more friendly towards other motorhomers. Tuggers tend to associate with other tuggers, but I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

We spent a week in Edinburgh at Silverknowes site recently and spoke to other motorhomers who were all very sociable, but the tuggers on the next pitch to us spent most of their time sitting inside and looking completely miserable and never bothered to look over and greet us:Sad:

We're on another forum and there is a definite "split" between the two, some tuggers on there seem to resent motorhomers, but can't think why:Confused:

Having said all this, when we started out in the caravan, other caravanners were always very friendly and helpful if you had a problem. This is now the case with fellow motorhomers, but at end of the day, life's too short and we like to be friendly and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
There's always plenty wine to share around when we go away:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Is this why you prefer a gap between you on site, so you can sit in your van and wave to each other.....:roflmto:
Broken Link Removed

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
But do you all wave like demented looneys

Absolutely.

:wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo:

I've noticed often in return we get a slow, single raise of the hand :Cool:. Wish I could be that cool.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Used to wave at them but gave up in the end.. Always flash them in if they over take though.. They can be as rude and up their own importance as they like but that does not stop me being polite :Smile:

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
nonsence

does it matter if they wave or you wave your on holiday you should be waving at everybody except white van man a nice middle finger would do for them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Absolutely.

:wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo:

I've noticed often in return we get a slow, single raise of the hand :Cool:. Wish I could be that cool.

Yes, I am always ready to wave like a looney, however, some motorhomers exercise just a subtle lift of the finger (just the one finger:winky:)

As far as I'm concerned, if you're gonna wave, make it worth your while and wave enthusiastically:thumb::roflmto:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Wave at tuggers?

Good God no! Perish the thought! They're a different species altogether!

Would you wave at a person towing a cement mixer on a trailer? or someone who just happens to be driving a Toyota or a BMW? of course you wouldn't . . . . for crying out loud, pull yourself together and have another glass of vino ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Only time I wave at campers is when I'm overtaking with my caravan, as they wheeze and struggle up long gradients.. :winky:

a two fingered wave that would be :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back