Do we motorhomers really boost the economy? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We often see claims of how much motorhomers contribute to boosting local economies where we stay so during our holiday starting with the Sandy meet I decided to keep a rough track of how much we spent.

After Sandy we used a CL, MCC rallies and had 3 nights free camping at a pub.

Average daily spend worked out at about £47.50, of which about 16.5% was accommodation fees (average about £8 a night).

We ate out several times and didn't stint ourselves so we weren't choosing "cheap" for the sake of saving money. Granted we have bus passes, which we used quite a bit, but is £47.50 a day (for two people) really a major boost to the economy?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In the winter time we go to a CL near Harrogate quite a lot, we can walk into Harrogate and there is a bus to Leeds where they have some nice jewellery shops and art galleries, I will not say how much we have spent but we could have bought a nearly new motorhome for the same money.

I am not saying we would not have spent the money if we had not gone to those places with the motorhome but there is a fair chance that we would have spent it somewhere else, so YES staying in the motorhome did directly impact on the local economy, of course we buy food and drink as well but we do that wherever we go in the motorhome.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
And not forgetting the costs of fuel to get to wherever you choose, unless you are running on bio juice but burning more than the average car.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes but dont forget what you buy where you are you are depriving your local shops etc .
does it really matter . ones gain another,s loss .
you go there . they might come here .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
better off arguing the right to roam, in a motorhome, as I have said before I live in an area with the highest water rates etc in the country I pay my dues to the economy. People come here , we go there. It all balances out in the end, why should we even have to justify our existence.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
yes but dont forget what you buy where you are you are depriving your local shops etc .
does it really matter . ones gain another,s loss .
you go there . they might come here .
Yes, I thought of that but, as you say, it could well balance out over time. If we had stayed at home we would not have bought diesel and lpg - but that would have been offset to an extent by using petrol, gas & electricity at home. We would not have eaten out as much and would not have gone to visitor attractions.

What I am really getting at is whether the average amount we spend overall is sufficient to provide a valid argument of economic benefits (as often quoted in support of calls for aires).

EDIT - Certainly not a matter of justifying our existence Roger.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder what other categories of tourist need to justify how much they are to spend before being deemed suitable to be allowed? Should families who bring a picnic be shunned? Are cyclists flying through pretty villages to be turned away? How long before our beaches are to become Pay On Entry? and only food purchased here to be consumed. Is this the way we are heading?

Wyn

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, I think we are good for the economy. It's not just a bit of grub and a pint, think of all the windbreaks, bits of tubing, hooks, 12v adaptors, awning pegs, visits to the £ shop, crocs and flip-flops and the rest of the paraphernalia. Not to mention all of those BIG purchases and fitments!(n)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m like wildman and several on here sw water charge the highest water rates . the population here x 20 ,in summer . i dont have any worry about going any where else.
i might not buy anything when away . yet i might buy alot.
very rarely eat out . hardly ever have eaten in a restaurant better than i can cook.
if i shop its probably in a supermarket .mind staff get paid .
dont support expensive little shops . they have to learn to buy better and sell cheaper.
dont buy beer etc in uk . far too expensive , buy it in spain .
mind you do need a good payload on your camper .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What I am really getting at is whether the average amount we spend overall is sufficient to provide a valid argument of economic benefits (as often quoted in support of calls for aires).

Very unlikely I'd say. We all buy at Tesco. We may have the odd meal out.

I think you need properly charged aires for the sake of the locals. God knows what the correct price would be though.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If we didn't , why do so many german and french villages have aires and with the baker dropping by every morning? IMO uk is missing a trick.
That's what I'm trying to get at. Is the UK really missing a trick or do the differences between the UK and France/Germany (and their motorhome using populations, both domestic and transient) mean that the economic benefits which are oft claimed to come from creating aires are just so much smoke and mirrors?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Graham I think it would be hard to justify having tennis courts, bowling green, swimming pools, athletic stadiums and the cost in maintaining them etc in local communities that is unless you use them.
I think am right in saying there is over 1 million M/H in the UK, that's without our friends from across the water so I don't see it can be that hard to justify aires in the uk when am sure there's not that many using some of the above
At least when you do have aires there will be money spent in the local areas and some of the more remote parts of the uk could certainly do with the vistors
Our European friends think they are worth the investment so why not in the uk

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
aires in france were set up for a reason . nothing to do with shops .
originally france was tenting country ,hardly any caravans at all.
when motorhomes /campers started in numbers the french couldnt use them on campsites they were set up for tents only . they parked anywhere . very often creating a mess . the authority and the new m,home clubs got together and arranged the first m,home stop overs . many in police station carparks or council office car parks . etc . later they built the bournes etc and aires took off . wine places agreed to help by letting you use their carparks usually you bought some bottles of wine . but now many have forgotten why aires started .
i remember being turned away from campsites when travelling with my parents in the early 60,s . we were in campers . some places we had used before with tents .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
At £230 a year road tax and £1.35 a litre of diesel im positive im good for the economy

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On our recent trip across to Belgium and France we paid site/aires fees, we took some food with us but also spent in local shops and restaurants and we bought fuel . We also visited local attractions and museums.
I guess our contribution X however many other visitors in motorhomes is certainly a positive contribution to any economy.
As already said aires/stellplatz etc in Europe have proven to be a success otherwise they would be closing. We visited one at Watten in France which looked a very recent addition, it was free but we spent 45€ in a local supermarket .
Our local councils do not seem to be able to identify this demand, odd, as they are the losers.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you sit in your van and drink supermarket beer and eat supermarket food why on earth do you have a motorhome??? Might as well sit on your drive. :mad:

Just a personal opinion(y)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
aires in france were set up for a reason . nothing to do with shops .
originally france was tenting country ,hardly any caravans at all.
when motorhomes /campers started in numbers the french couldnt use them on campsites they were set up for tents only . they parked anywhere . very often creating a mess . the authority and the new m,home clubs got together and arranged the first m,home stop overs . many in police station carparks or council office car parks . etc . later they built the bournes etc and aires took off . wine places agreed to help by letting you use their carparks usually you bought some bottles of wine . but now many have forgotten why aires started .
i remember being turned away from campsites when travelling with my parents in the early 60,s . we were in campers . some places we had used before with tents .
Isn't this similar to the development in this country in the decade or so after WWII? Except here it was towed caravans not campers/motorhomes - hence the legacy we have.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham I think it would be hard to justify having tennis courts, bowling green, swimming pools, athletic stadiums and the cost in maintaining them etc in local communities that is unless you use them.
I think am right in saying there is over 1 million M/H in the UK, that's without our friends from across the water so I don't see it can be that hard to justify aires in the uk when am sure there's not that many using some of the above
Far less in fact - about 174,000 according to a MCC article I read today.
At least when you do have aires there will be money spent in the local areas and some of the more remote parts of the uk could certainly do with the vistors
Our European friends think they are worth the investment so why not in the uk
Has anyone reading this actually asked the councils where they live/visit?
Those who have what was the reaction?
Those who have not why not?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
having been going away just about every winter since 98 in fact only missed one . i think its nicer than sitting in my drive. i dont have to go top restaurants i am a trained chef . army catering corp. . i dont need to go to bars to buy expensive beer and i know i have plenty of fun .
its cold in uk and wet in winter . only had 20 days rain last winter in almost 6 months . thats good enough . i like riding my m,bike . i can with comfort most days while away . best of both worlds in my eyes .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Isn't this similar to the development in this country in the decade or so after WWII? Except here it was towed caravans not campers/motorhomes - hence the legacy we have.
yes graham . uk catered for caravans . they didnt have caravans in france they had big continental tents . put up on sites at the begining of summer and left up all the time . families visited or stayed in them for months . spain was similar.
germany had caravans . holland had caravans .
one of my mates made a fortune selling caravans in france for site use in the 90,s . as in park homes . he ended up with the biggest park home site in brittany . but all the caravans came from uk.
the campsites couldnt cope with motor homes never really wanted tourist caravans either.

Reactions: GJH

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
C
If you sit in your van and drink supermarket beer and eat supermarket food why on earth do you have a motorhome??? Might as well sit on your drive. :mad:

Just a personal opinion(y)
Because my drive has a view of other houses ....when I wild camp in Scotland I see mountains lochs beaches no neighbours no noise and grass I don't have to cut :)

It's why I don't like campsites....i don't understand why anyone goes to them and parks in neat little rows like streets ....seems just like home to me but in a smaller place :)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
The problems with campsites are,
They are seriously overpriced, one near us is £40 a night, for a few square feet of grass? If I stayed a week I'd expect to own that grass!They say it's to pay for the toilets, showers(which are usually c!!p) & hook up, non of which I want or need.
They are miles away from anywhere I'd want to be. The Aires system is superb, we have stayed on Aires by the beach, in the town, at a museum, at a chateax etc. etc. etc. and for next to nothing(or even nothing).

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
At £230 a year road tax and £1.35 a litre of diesel im positive im good for the economy

Not to mention what is spent buying a motorhome & servicing, accessories etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back