Do we have many full timers on the forum at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I wondered who in the forum is travelling without much of an agenda and an open ended time frame?
We've been on the move since end of Feb with short visits back in the uk for our sons wedding and Martin's mum's 90th birthday.
We have no plans now and only booked our return Eurotunnel in April to put a date on the return ticket. We can change the date!
We adore moving around as the whim takes us and are slowly working through Eastern Europe and have just reached Prague.
It would be lovely to meet up with other full timers or even to just chat on here.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
7½ years on the road for me now. Was only going to be doing it for 2 years but I just can't imagine living in one place for 6 months now never mind the rest of my life :(

I think you either love the life on the road or the novelty wears off pretty quickly. There seems to be a lump at around 4-5 year period where lots drop out and go back to normal life but the ones who last past that point seem to have it in their blood.

I don't dive about like I did when I first went fulltiming. So far this year I have stayed at 5 places. By the end of the year it will be either 6 places or maybe 7 at a push.

I tend to stay in one place for 4 weeks or so then move on. Apart from my winter downtime. I try not to drive at all during the winter or only on clear, dry days as I don't want to risk my van/home due to other crazy drivers. But after 4 months in one place I am really really ready to move on. It drives me nuts much longer than that.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Or people who have done it
Was it like you thought?
The only thing we miss is ongoing relationships with other people - we rely on the internet for that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Pia
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The only thing we miss is ongoing relationships with other people - we rely on the internet for that!

That's one thing I don't really miss. I am not great with people. I find the solitude of fulltiming solo brilliant. I can always go to the pub and have a chat should the urge come over me :p

Love chatting on here. Keep in touch with family via facebook and Skype.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds nice @klaatu
Any reason for choosing Scotland? @Gromett we would use pubs more but the dog who can't be left holds us back a bit but we do take him with us. I'd like to I introduce myself to people we camp next to but often feel too shy.

Reactions: Pia
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I am always very impressed by @dippingatoe Sue on here who always said hello to the people on each side of her. I think travelling solo is probably really different from travelling as a couple

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'd like to I introduce myself to people we camp next to but often feel too shy.
I sometime introduce myself to my neighbours as we are passing but only if I am in one of those rare sociable moods. I probably spend more time talking to horse :rofl:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Any reason for choosing Scotland?
We live here - although in the opposite corner - and like it here. We didn't want to go too far to begin with.

we would use pubs more but the dog who can't be left holds us back a bit but we do take him with us.
Since we left home we have introduced the dog to pubs - there seem to be quite a lot of dog-friendly pubs here.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
If I pick up unfriendly vibes I don't bother.
I had expected we would entertain a lot more in the van than we do. We might have the odd chat at the door but the only people we've had in are prearranged visitors.

Jayco

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Jayco Greyhawk
Exp
20 years
Hi Jac We have been 2 1/2 years full timing. We spent a year or so in Dorset as camp wardens and finally this year we are going to winter in Spain trying La Toretta in Benidorm from January on recommendation from people on the site. We met Dipping@ toe in Stratford she is lovely. Before we Motorhomed we spent 4 years on our narrow boat.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
@Jayco hi, we made a special trip to meet Sue and spent 4 days at camp verger last April. We enjoyed it so much we'd love to meet other people from here. We plan to do Spain and Portugal next winter so I'd like to hear how you find that site in Benidorm.
@webby1 we're sort of doing the opposite and heading for Sicily in January so you'll beat us there. We're meeting family around Florence for a week end of Jan. After Sicily we're heading up for the skiing maybe in Eastern Europe rather than the Dolomites (other than a week) due to cost. As my partner can't ski now I'm always looking for a ski companion but don't mind going on my own and tagging onto groups I find out there. Would be interested in how you find the camping in Italy and availability of LPG .

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We sold up & moved into the van end of 2010.
Have roamed around UK and France, most of the time, helped out on a campsite for 3 seasons (8 months each time) & property sat in France.
Spent 7 months-total-in France this year.
Want to see more of Scotland very soon.
Still enjoying it and I think we would get bored in one place for long now, used to get a bit bored, before, on the campsite for 8 months!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I sometime introduce myself to my neighbours as we are passing but only if I am in one of those rare sociable moods. I probably spend more time talking to horse :rofl:
Gromett where do you stay while out on the road - campsites or wild spots ? laybys,carparks etc ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett where do you stay while out on the road - campsites or wild spots ? laybys,carparks etc ?
It varies year to year. By the side of the road, Ind Estates, Friends, pub car parks, CL's, Rallies, Wild, garages (at weekends with permission) plus other places.

Since my battery bank died last year I have been stopping on CL's mainly to get the hookup. Next summer will have all new massive battery bank and will be able to go back to wild camping, Ind estates and road side.

I should mention I don't really do wild camping as much as wild parking. I keep a very very low profile in a panel van conversion. It is fairly stealthy.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
On our 3rd year out. Can't see ourselves back in UK long term. Medical issues might however override although hoping that this won't be for quite a few years yet. Fingers crossed!
(Just see UK as our income stream through renting our house.)

Currently slowly making our way 'sarf on Med coast.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We started full timing in April, Mrs Badknee still works so we upped sticks and now live a mile away from her job instead of thirty two. Our youngest is staying in our house and we also have a static caravan we use when she is off duty.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
IMG_0152.JPG
We are off after Xmas we are renting out but we do an all inclusive deal with the two who rent our rooms. So we can come back when ever we want and stay in our own bedroom. Pick up mail and so on
We are having a scooter rack fitted and picked our new scooter out this is so we can stay on farms and places just out a bit as they are cheaper to stay on hence the scooter. As u can see it's not a stelth lol . So we will see u all on our travels Scotland is looking good and on to Spain in the winter .

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
This is an interesting thread. I have often read posts where funsters mention they are fulltiming, I wonder what percentage of members on here live full time or long term in their vans?

SWMBO and I sold our house in 2012 and spent about 18 months fulltiming but since then we have been back in bricks and mortar. Not for much longer though as when I finally retire we will be off to who knows where?

Paul

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I've been full timing for over 5 years now - 3 years as a solo and the last 2 with my partner David (who used to full time on a yacht). Have met quite a few Funsters during that time and will always go and introduce myself if I see a Fun sticker on a van. :)

Have no intention of giving up full timing and going back to a static way of life - although next year we will be swapping the van for a catamaran. :D

So next year there will be a Hobby 750 up for grabs all kitted out with full timing essentials such as 3 hab batteries, solar panels, inverter, led lighting, Gaslow, Strikeback alarm and deadlocks. ;)

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We are going to be in Sicily December, January then who knows. Where are you going to be ?
Kev n Fi

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
Count us in jac. Just last minute hoovering and scrubbing the bricks and mortar for our tenants. No bed here now so moving the motorhome (WHEELIEBACH II) from storage to a camp site nearby and from tonight we sleep there. 12 days time we catch the Plymouth to santander ferry and will be making our way slowly to southern Portugal for Christmas. Then(idle speculation this) across spain, France, Italy, Baltic states to Greece perhaps. The world is our bivalve mollusc.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Count us in jac. Just last minute hoovering and scrubbing the bricks and mortar for our tenants. No bed here now so moving the motorhome (WHEELIEBACH II) from storage to a camp site nearby and from tonight we sleep there. 12 days time we catch the Plymouth to santander ferry and will be making our way slowly to southern Portugal for Christmas. Then(idle speculation this) across spain, France, Italy, Baltic states to Greece perhaps. The world is our bivalve mollusc.
Have you decided what site you are going to stay at for Christmas? And what sites in Spain?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back