Do tyre pressures go down when it's cold? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Possibly a silly question, but we all know tyre pressures go up when the tyre is hot but do they go down when it's cold? I checked the pressures on mine today and they were all 3-5 psi down from last week. It was freezing cold though!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Recommended tyre pressures are based on an ambient air temperature of around 20 degrees C.

So, yes, they will reduce when the air temperature is less, but I guess this is allowed for in the 20C recommended setting.

I wonder what they use in places like Iceland where the temperatures are generally much lower.

Interesting question :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Absolutely! You need to adjust pressures at least twice a year, picking a suitably warm day and a suitably cold day to get it right. If you have something like TyrePal pressure monitoring, it will soon start bleeping if you don't. The variation by season is significant enough to affect wear, tear and handling.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Travelling from Spain to UK in summer (July/August) my tyre pressures usually drop by around 5 psi - and, of course, rise by the same amount going from UK to Spain.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Possibly a silly question, but we all know tyre pressures go up when the tyre is hot but do they go down when it's cold? I checked the pressures on mine today and they were all 3-5 psi down from last week. It was freezing cold though!
Your nuts do so why should'nt the tyres.......................:imoutahere:

Yes as air expands and contracts (cold) due to temperature

Peter

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

*Anorak alert*

The tyre temperatures on my MH a minute ago were 11c offside, 8c nearside. That's more significant than just the ambient air temperature because direct sunlight also affects tyre temperature and consequently tyre pressure. Before I check the tyre pressures I check that they are all the same temperature.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Yes. Here's the Physics:
Gay-Lussac's Law shows the relationship between the Temperature and Pressure of a gas. At a fixed volume, the temperature and pressure of a gas are directly proportional to each other. Since temperature and pressure have a direct relationship, if the pressure goes up then the temperature goes up and if the temperature goes down then the pressure goes down (and vice versa)

The equation for Gay-Lussac's Law is:

gay_lussac's_formula_1.png

T1 = Initial Temperature (Kelvin - K)

P1 = Initial Pressure (atm or mmHg)

T2 = Final Temperature (Kelvin - K)

P2 = Final Pressure (atm or mmHg)

Note: Temperature must be in Kelvin for the equation to work. You calculate Kelvin temperature by adding 273 to the Celsius temperature.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We've got tyre pressure sensors in our cars and know when the weather has got cold, flashing warning displays saying the pressure has dropped below acceptable minimum.
I wonder how many drive around with under inflated tyres.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yep, tyre pressure monitor on the car went off this morning. Only got the vehicle in May, and today was our first sharp frost, so time to pump the tyres up.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

Note: Temperature must be in Kelvin for the equation to work. You calculate Kelvin temperature by adding 273 to the Celsius temperature.

So if the temp goes from 17degC (=290K) to 27degC (=300k) it represents a change of 10/300 = 3% (approx).

If your tyre pressures are nominally 60psi, a 3% change is 2psi.

That is within the range of inaccuracy of most tyre pressure gauges, especially those analogue ones in garages :whistle:.

Hence, I wouldn't worry about it ;) - Gordon

PS My brother checks (and changes) his tyre pressure every trip, depending on how many passengers he has in his car. I keep telling him that life is too short :LOL:

Deleted User
So if the temp goes from 17degC (=290K) to 27degC (=300k) it represents a change of 10/300 = 3% (approx).

That is within the range of inaccuracy of most tyre pressure gauges, especially those analogue ones in garages :whistle:.

PS My brother checks (and changes) his tyre pressure every trip, depending on how many passengers he has in his car. I keep telling him that life is too short :LOL:
Could not agree more

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years

My (HiFi) mate brought some floor standing speakers down to us from Romford, before he set off on the return trip he asked to use my pressure gauge as he'd increased the rear tyre PSI to compensate for the extra weight:rolleyes: & wanted to reduce it before leaving, I just laughed & said, so when we were at your's last time did you do the same when all four of us went out for a meal? he looked sheepishly at me & said "Tosser" I think that was a No:D2

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Does that also apply in Australia?;)
I've never been but pretty sure that they would only go flat at the top in Australia. This is because the water goes down the plug hole anti-clockwise there

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Is it really necessary to adjust pressures when it gets colder. If the correct pressures are set at say 20 deg c then in the summer when temperatures and pressures are higher I would not adjust the pressures to a lower level.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
If the TP's were set at an ambient temp of 20c and the temp drops, they'll lose a bit of pressure. However, as soon as you start driving they'll warm up so I wouldn't adjust them.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Yes. Here's the Physics:
Gay-Lussac's Law shows the relationship between the Temperature and Pressure of a gas. At a fixed volume, the temperature and pressure of a gas are directly proportional to each other. Since temperature and pressure have a direct relationship, if the pressure goes up then the temperature goes up and if the temperature goes down then the pressure goes down (and vice versa)

126F83D2-7C5B-4EBA-92FA-33172F152908.jpeg

Not as easy as just inflating to the recommended pressure then.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
They warm up when you’re driving, though, don’t they?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Of course tyre pressures vary with temperature. Do you need to adjust them for summer and winter? NO! But you do need to check them regularly, at least monthly, preferably weekly and definitely before any journey.

D.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
According to my Tyrepal sensors. We Started yesterday 58psi(F) 70psi(R). Leaving S-Shields, by the time we hit the A19, they where up to 61(F) and 74(R) and stayed that way until Home. I did get a "warning" Beep (several) but that was the F-N/S battery is low and due changing. I am lowering the "cold" pressure by 1-2psi progressively in order to find the best "comfort" (Ride) whilst maintaining stability and consistent Temp/Pressures.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Blimey so not only do we have to check the tyres but the nuts too, is that in case they fall off? :wondering:
Harley riders have to check for loose nut's I'm told :whistle:;)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Temperature affects pressure , a lot. On the bikes we set base pressure cold, and then measure it again when the warmers come up to temperature, that will make 3-4psi more, even with pressure as low at 23psi.

For your MH, set them in the spring, and reset them for the winter.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It’s a natural phenomenon, when it’s cold the tyre pressure goes down and naturally gives you more grip
in the wet and cold... see, nature looks after you,.... naturally.....(y)

:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back