Do things really change when you retire? (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
I used to carry a heavy briefcase to the office and stand around the tea point for a while talking absolute drivel.

Now one of my duties is to lug a heavy tiddle-tank around and stand around the blue lagoon talking absolute drivel.

Going back to an earlier life, we are parked up behind @emo at cite Europe and, having had our vans closely examined by illegals earlier on, it's now "stag on" in case they come back. I miss my pickaxe handle and useless green torch though.

Motorhoming is meant to be relaxing. I may as well go back to work!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
You'll soon get into the swing of things in the retirement fast lane.
I hate the idea of working again, gives me nightmares just thinking of it.
I did enjoy my career & can't imagine that I'd ever been anything else but a paramedic, but working 7 days at a time which was 24hrs a day where I worked was bloody awful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
It started off well 5 years ago, but I still have not been able to cast off my business fully to my son. I still get "Are you about tomorrow ? and of course Can you just? When we are away I really enjoy our lifestyle, and have long lists of places to see. But at home with a large garden and a 92year old MIL who lives 50miles away and is very demanding. it becomes a bit of a pain. I used to find time for a morning swim, or a good cycle ride, but I struggle to do that now. I would definitely rather be away.!!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used to carry a heavy briefcase to the office and stand around the tea point for a while talking absolute drivel.

Now one of my duties is to lug a heavy tiddle-tank around and stand around the blue lagoon talking absolute drivel.

Going back to an earlier life, we are parked up behind @emo at cite Europe and, having had our vans closely examined by illegals earlier on, it's now "stag on" in case they come back. I miss my pickaxe handle and useless green torch though.

The learning to relax bit is the challenge. :)

There can be a great temptation to drive too far each day and when driving not be prepared to deviate from your planned route if something interesting is spotted. After ten years I'm still learning how to do it. :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Binky , When you retire you can sometimes become a non person by which I mean people pretend that you don't exist especially in shops ,but I have learned that a smile works wonders, when you walk around in city centres people look and sometimes smile back .When they manage to look up from their mobile phones .:D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I love it, love, love, love it. I can do what I want, If I feel like a walk, I go for a walk.

Since Sunday I have been meaning to mow the lawn, Sunday we went for a walk instead. Monday the grass was wet with the heavy dew over night, Tuesday was the same. Today we went to Falmouth and had a jaunt around Pendennis Point and the grass was wet anyway with the overnight dew.:gum:
And guess what? It's going to rain tomorrow!:dance2:

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I retired early five year's ago, I intended to get a part time job in the winter months thinking I would be bored .My misuse said I would be back at work within a couple of month's ;).Well I proved her wrong:D. It is the best thing I did retiring. Always find something to do.My mindset has changed so much.If I feel like doing nothing then I don't feel guilty anymore, Before I always felt I should be doing something (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When I retired 5 years ago, I thought now I have got time to restore a few of the classic car projects I have.
5 years on I'm hoping to be able to make time to restore the cars.
For me, ever a dull day and along the lines of the TV advert for recruting Marine Commando's, retirement is a state of mind ............ you may already have it.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Haha Stag On!!!!

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We are six month in and never been busier. Our intent was to head South in the van and keep going. However, we go involved in some charity work which has sucked us both right in to the point we cannot let go for the moment. I have to say that things have been busy, but nothing will ever be as busy as a Saturday night in the ED Department.....yes I do miss it, never thought I would say that.
Things should return to normal in the next few months allowing us to start retirement officially in the new year. The charity work has been good and enjoyable but one thing I have come to appreciate is how much effort and energy people put into charity work they really need commended for it, they often work away for the good of others with no recognition, not that most of them would want it. Some real soldiers working out there to make lives better for others, I take my hat off to them.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Retirement the best job in the world
Work is now a four letter word
Never have time to be board , relaxed and the stress of work slowly draining away .:D

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I am 9 and a bit years into retirement - it's great. But I was fortunate enough to have a couple of years to plan my retirement

The plan worked well and I enjoy it, but I do see others 'falling' into retirement who finish up doing very little other than watching daytime tv

Mind you, if someone had told me 10 years ago, I'd have a motorhome I would never have believed them!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Took early retirement over 18 years ago but only been properly retired for 3 years.
The first 15 years were busy with all manor of voluntary things that I never imagined I would get involved in. Played a major part and wrote a lot of a Village Design statement and a Parish Plan. Heavy involvement in planning issues, set up a History Society and published a book, and 8 years working with Vulcan to the Sky.
Now our Vulcan is grounded and we have backed out of most local commitments we can finally get away in the van whenever we want.
Been a great and very interesting 'retirement' though.

Richard.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have retired 3 times now and this time I am enjoying it too much to go back

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've gone back to work for a rest. Talked me into 3day week. I do Mon Tue Thu. I'll have a few grand saved by Xmas for my hobby fund

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015

Hi again Did you sit up all night in case they came back? Must admit didn’t sleep as well as normal ,had my squirt bleach Bottle and detergent to hit between their eyes if they came looking under the Mo Ho again.
Did hear the police claxons a couple of times.We went around 6.30 still dark never saw any thing

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you have hobbies, interests ,etc; I imagine it can be quite pleasant.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have retired 6-7 times, first at 45.

Since then I have never been richer - both in capital and income. The best part of which is that for the last 7 years I have been able to give my Darling Basia experiences she probably thought she would never have had, after being brought up in Communist Poland and being left a widow in her 40s with 2 sons to bring up, which was financially tough.

Since then we have been skiing in Pyrenees, 4 Winter/sun holidays, sailing in Greece, plus 7 years touring in the MH in Scotland, England, Pyrenees, many regions of France, Germany and Slowakia. Not to mention her cook's ecstatic enjoyment of French food and wine.

Also she can go on health spa holidays whenever she wants, and is now away for a w/e with her old Scout colleagues.

After my first retirement I only 'played' at work and dropped it when I felt like it - mainly to sail Greece, but the extra income I earned and the house I paid for has made our current life very comfortable. I am even able to treat some friends less well off. [No begging letters please - unless you are already friends]

Retirement has certainly given us opportunities that I would not have missed.

Geoff

[The ability to pick up and drop work was because of my two quite highly-paid qualifications and experience, but I worked hard for those, including 4 years of doing a degree and professional post-graduate qualification while working full-time, but they paid off in both my working career and in retirement. Now I/We can enjoy the benefits]

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back