Do things really change when you retire? (3 Viewers)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It was only you said 3 kids in school costs us a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, they do, even in normal State schools. The crux of my post though is that I'm at the younger end of the scale for this forum - and at 46, it's a very rare now that I can say I'm at the young end of anything ;) - so others on here must have been through the same process 10, 20+ years ago of being 10 or so years away from retirement and trying to work out what their retirement outgoings will be and trying to judge when they would be able to stop work and if their planning was adequate or not for the years they had left in work. I want to draw on the experiences of those who've been through it already!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
How did you lot judge what annual income you'd need in retirement? Was it simply a case of waiting until you're close to the date and then basing it on your actual annual spend then, with any notable adjustments such as your mortgage finishing adjusted for ?

We were in a similar position five or so years ago. We set up a spreadsheet that we detailed every piece of expenditure we made and monitored over that time. The bottom line is that if we want to have the lifestyle we currently have and a suitable contingency for home improvements, replacement cars etc is that we need £40k pa. I accept that this seems a lot and we compared it with some of our friends and they'd settled on £30 and £35 after a similar process, so we're leaving that as the target figure. It is important though to remember that in the early days of retirement you will spend more on your "lifestyle" than in the latter years, although obviously this doesn't include care fees.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you Fastpat. Yes, our pensions man said outgoings tend to be high as first as you're still relatively young & active, then drop as you get older and less active, then go up again with care costs etc as you get really elderly - which makes sense. I presume your £40k is gross, i.e. pre-tax?

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Feltwell said:-
  • How much will I need when I retire? How the hell do you judge this? I earn a decent salary and live a pretty modest life, don't smoke, hardly drink, rarely eat out and am happy driving older cars - but still seem to need a lot more than the numbers some of you are quoting! 3 kids all in school - state school, but even so - still cost us a lot, how that will change by then I don't know, chances are it will be 1 in work, 1 in university, 1 doing A levels.
  • And of course the biggest unknown of all, how long will I & Mrs F need a pension income for?
Taking the first dot, which I have placed in bold. Two big questions here. I was at a business meeting many years back, the subject of retirement income came up., the question the guest speaker asked us was basically what you have said and I have made bold. He told us this, work out what you feel you can live comfortably on, then work out what do you want to bring in for a pension which would be similar to what you earn, but to remember it will have to last to until the end of your lifetime. And remember this, all costs go up, including fuel, food, and anything you spend out. We were told that we needed in excess of 300K of income, and if anyone of us could afford it to pay in pension pots a certain amount towards that end. All this will now be out of date, I suppose one could say a decent pension would be a total around the 500K mark.

So how much do you need when you retire - around 500K, how the hell do you judge this, by your present yearly earnings, times the amount of years before you want to retire. And if that falls short of 500K, then...

The above is taken on an assumption, I may well be out here, I am no financial adviser. But to me it is basic workings out. Or look at it another way, take the 300K, Divide that by 20 (the 20 being years) you would roughly bring in per year? do the same with the 500K. would either be suitable... for you?

The last dot question is simple is simple, for the remainder of your days, or you wind up broke.

I hope I have been able to shed a little light on your questions.

Flook

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
How did you lot judge what annual income you'd need in retirement? Was it simply a case of waiting until you're close to the date and then basing it on your actual annual spend then, with any notable adjustments such as your mortgage finishing adjusted for ?

When we first seriously thought about retiring early I started to check and question all our expenditure and was surprised, and rather ashamed, by how much wasn't really necessary. We then started to see how we would survive on our predicted pension income, and saving any surplus. Five years into retirement we haven't fallen into penury although we have dipped into our savings at times.....but we expected to do that until the state pensions kick in. We don't live a high life but don't do without either and we're certainly managing on rather less than the figures you were quoting.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I forgot to add, that 20 years was taken from when I retired at 65 (six years back), I gave my life span of 85 years, hence the 20 years. If you or any one is looking to retire, take a look at your family, if they have a long life span, then take an average, then take your age when you are looking at retiring, subtract the two, and that leaves you with a rough idea how long you may need your pension to last. The earlier you retire, the more you would need, unless you have a good inheritance left to you...

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Trouble is if you work longer you hopefully can build up your pension but that reduces the time you can enjoy retirement :(
Striking the right balance is the difficult bit

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Indeed! And thank you to all who have replied. One thing's for sure, I've no intention of working to 67 as our beloved Government would like me to! Ahh well, we shall see - at the moment it looks like being able to retire at 55 is optimistic (but not out of the question), 57/58 is realistic, and 60 is highly likely. But it could all change.........

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I wish..

Basic State Pension weekly rate for 2017 to 2018

Maximum qualifying years £125.95

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/basic-state-pension-rate
But @Techno meant 'capped ' as in " maximum " you can get .Not basic amount.

am aware of that.. but it is Not pegged at £164.35.. I can assure you..

I have max qualifying years and only get £130.52
You are under the old system. My ma-in-law ,as I posted before ,is 84 & paid in all her working life + serps + graduated ,etc; & receives around £280 then + other benefits. attendance allowance ( no idea why ?) etc. That's under the same old system you are on.

I see now Jim (y)
That is my forecast rather than the current pension
You have to be careful as " the current pension" depends on whether the person retired prior to april 2016 = old system = lower amount but entitlement to any benefits going , subject to status OR post April 2016 = new system = a flat amount ,at present what you posted, but increases around 3% each year . No entitlement to any benefits though except housing support . ( why I've no idea?)

My state pension forecast is based on today’s pension, by the time I retire that could have risen by 3% year on year
It will do as the new pension april 2016 forward started at £155/week

Yes, they do, even in normal State schools. The crux of my post though is that I'm at the younger end of the scale for this forum - and at 46, it's a very rare now that I can say I'm at the young end of anything ;) - so others on here must have been through the same process 10, 20+ years ago of being 10 or so years away from retirement and trying to work out what their retirement outgoings will be and trying to judge when they would be able to stop work and if their planning was adequate or not for the years they had left in work. I want to draw on the experiences of those who've been through it already!

We were in a similar position five or so years ago. We set up a spreadsheet that we detailed every piece of expenditure we made and monitored over that time. The bottom line is that if we want to have the lifestyle we currently have and a suitable contingency for home improvements, replacement cars etc is that we need £40k pa. I accept that this seems a lot and we compared it with some of our friends and they'd settled on £30 and £35 after a similar process, so we're leaving that as the target figure. It is important though to remember that in the early days of retirement you will spend more on your "lifestyle" than in the latter years, although obviously this doesn't include care fees.

I've never met anyone of my era who even remotely thought about pensions or what amount they needed to live on after retirement ?
I certainly didn't .

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would think a lot now days on zero hours could not put away as much as they used to for pensions

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My pension was built up over many years, but about 20 years ago I stopped paying in as anuity rates were so poor. If I had know it would change to cash draw-down I would have payed a lot more in. Now I am part time I'm not able to put much more in. So the longer I leave it before I draw it, the longer it will last. I will let you all know how it woked out. In about 20 years::bigsmile:

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
We retired 7 years ago at the age of 55 and using my meagre police pension as a sole means of income we moved to France. We had a lump sum, enough to buy a house, car and cheap motor home over here, and the plan was to eat into the rest of our lump sum each year until we reached the age when the old age pensions would be payable. Then we'd be quids in!

But within a few months of arriving over here I accidentally become a mole trapper and the income from that, whilst not huge bearing in mind I only do two days a week at most, is enough to stop us needing to erode our savings. In fact we are now adding too them year on year, and we sold our apartment in Cyprus last year enabling us to fund a better motor home and put a bit more into the bank.

Being self-employed means that we don't have as much to pay into the French health care system and the taxes I pay for my work in will entitle me to a small French pension when I hang up the mole traps in a couple of years time.

The only down side to retirement is that I honestly do not have enough spare time. I used to work 40 hours a week on a three-shift system, do pest control on a small pheasant shoot, do my share of the house work and I still had more time to go fishing than I have now. It is unbelievable just how little spare time I have.

But when I think back to my youth and remember seeing all those retired miners wheezing and coughing their guts up, barely able to walk to the club, I count my blessings that I had the opportunity to get out of my work early while still fit.

You can't buy your life back so if you do get the chance, don't even think about it. Just do it!

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I worked in the NHS and was lucky enough to retire at 55 in 2009. I had what was called mental health officer status which meant that after 20 years service each year was doubled up. This condition of service is no longer available. It meant that after 30 years I had reached maximum pension of 40 years. I then returned to work 2/3 days a week until last year when gave up for good. My wife, younger than me also took nhs pension but chose to go early.
I have to say that because my parents scrimped and saved and because I was the only beneficiary I have a lot to be thankful for, likewise our 3 children.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
in will entitle me to a small French pension
You will actually come under 'EU pension' rules which means that it will be combined with the UK one & have to be claimed in the country you reside in , or last country worked in if you never worked where you live when claiming, & both will be 25-30% greater than if you had only worked in one country.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I retired two years ago and have spent the last two years dodging peoples request for me to go and work for them for free. They seem to think I might get bored on my own during the day. How wrong can they be.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Had the discussion with the chairman today, plan is phased retirement from 1st April next year through to 2020, if the board agree. If they don't I'll finish next September at 56. Either way I hope things do change!

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
I plan to get out of Dodge Dec, 2019 - already had discussion if there is flexibility for another 6 months....

Flattering, but I will resist...

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.