Do they do a crimp version of this? (1 Viewer)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
For heavier cables I use a Pipe Master to solder on terminals.

View attachment 197024

Umm - I've never see one of those before - looks a pretty good bit of kit for Yorkshire fittings and probably makes a very neat job!

Interesting theory of using it on lugs - if it's got the heat capacity may be another new way for me too?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This thread has made me laugh.

I love it when DIYers (at best, some of them not even that!!!) think they know better about something like this than people who have spent decades as electricians and engineers.

Soldering crimp lugs and home made crimpers :Eeek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Umm - I've never see one of those before - looks a pretty good bit of kit for Yorkshire fittings and probably makes a very neat job!

Interesting theory of using it on lugs - if it's got the heat capacity may be another new way for me too?

I've been using one of these for many years mainly for battery terminals when I was restoring classic cars.
It get bloody hot bloody quick and because the jaws are semi circular it applies the heat around the terminal which means you can apply solder quicker so less heat is transferred up the cable melting the insulation.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This thread has made me laugh.

I love it when DIYers (at best, some of them not even that!!!) think they know better about something like this than people who have spent decades as electricians and engineers.

Soldering crimp lugs and home made crimpers :Eeek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't think you will find that I said anything about soldering crimp terminals, maybe I should have specified that I use solder terminals to pacify the contempt from the all knowing people. :whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think you will find that I said anything about soldering crimp terminals, maybe I should have specified that I use solder terminals to pacify the contempt from the all knowing people. :whistle:

Then my post wasn't aimed at you. (y)

I'm sure you'd agree that using solder on terminals not designed for the purpose or using home made crimpers or vices, especially on high current terminals, is somewhere between a bad idea and outright dangerous (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
These are quite affordable and work well complete with dies for various sizes .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8T-Hydrau...770554?hash=item1c976fcbba:g:C3QAAOSwu1VW39SR

That's the one I bought to do all my Motorhome electrics. Despite being hydraulic it still needs and very very firm grip to squeeze the lug tight onto the cable and then they get either shrink wrapped or well wrapped in adhesive insulating tape extending up the cable sheathing.

Whenever I do DIY I buy any small tools I need to do the job properly. I still save a fortune compared to having the work done professionally. That said you have to have the inclination and aptitude to do DIY. Some I know just don't want to do it or don't have the time. There are some who should not contemplate it on any level!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It's got nothing to do with DIYers or not, but whether or not they've used the equipment and was it successful.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
9CB8B866-0C41-44F8-A600-6E831D986856.jpeg
I am always willing to learn and happy to admit when I am wrong.

I use 1.5% Ag 5% Sn bal Pb
Melting Temp 305 deg for the job.

If I should be crimping, then I will look to do this in the future. For what few jobs I do, would not be worth buying anything Hydrolic. But there are other methods.

I would suggest that in the case of the connection to my Victron Inverter (see google stock image). The Solder on the PCB board will melt first !?

TM

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( I don't have a clue what you are all talking about ...... again. Is this something I need to save, please, as I may need it someday on my mh?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
:( I don't have a clue what you are all talking about ...... again. Is this something I need to save, please, as I may need it someday on my mh?
Almost certainly not .

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
[QUOTE="TeeMyob, The Solder on the PCB board will melt first !?
TM[/QUOTE]

Solder melted on my 12 volt fridge supply for the second time in 6 years. Lucar spade connection terminal melted off the board on the Reich Ebox, poor design to a push on terminal that's pulling around 15 amps. I will try and repair it myself this time as the last repair was a new box under warranty, cost around £700.
20170902_173950.jpg
20170903_111714.jpg
20170903_111714.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back