Do Silver Screens Make A Difference (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I thought silver screens were just used for privacy but I've read a few posts that they can in fact help to keep the motorhome warm.
I have a set for mine but have never used them as I have blinds fitted in the cab area.
Now I'm wondering maybe I should use them when it get a bit chilly outside

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends on your van they made a huge difference with a Hymer Tramp we had with the standard Fiat cab, but not bothered with them on our current van as it has an insulated front roller blind with heating outlets between the blind and screen.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yes! They are a wonderful invention and they dry very quickly too.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm never sure about the thick insulated ones. People insist they work well, but I much prefer the silvered/black thin lightweight ones, they're much easier to handle and store, and seem to me to be very heat efficient. Our van came with the thicker insulated internal type, they take up a whole small locker, you get condensation inside the screen, and they're a fuss to handle. So we leave them behind. We have bought external lightweight ones which don't have the condensation issue, and have made our own internals from the same silvered material, so we can use those on dubious aires or wild camping, so that we make a quick exit without going outside to remove. Between the two they take up much less space than the padded type. We could even use the two if necessary, inside and out, for extra insulation, but have never felt it necessary. But we never have done that, being quite happy with one layer but having the choice of internal or external.

I do wonder if the padded are worth the extra expense and space, but someone who has spent that much might happilly justify the purchase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the replies think I will put them on next time ( 2 weeks time Bath ) as we do get a bit of condensation on the windscreen

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have both internal and external screens and I wouldn't be without them. The external screens are the better ones but not so good if you are wild camping and want to move on in a hurry. We have even used both sets of screens together along with built in the thermal curtain when it has been really cold! They do take up space but it's not really an issue for us - they can either go on the bed when travelling or in the shower if they are wet. When pitched up and not on the screen they go on the floor behind the revolved front seats.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes they do make quite a difference - the cab is just a single piece of glass, not double layer with an air gap like other windows, so you loose a lot of heat through the cab windows - just stand there one night and compare it to the rest of the camper and you'll certainly feel the chill.

The internal concertina blinds are really just for privacy with no real insulation properties at all, the internal padded ones are better but you still get condensation with those, with external padded one you don't get condensation at all.

We've had lots of different types of covers - curtains, blinds, internal and external screens etc and the ONLY ones that keep condensation at bay and the cab warmer are the external type - we never pay full pop for them though as we always bought a good second-hand set so that someone else has had to stump up the full price! (y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Depends on your van they made a huge difference with a Hymer Tramp we had with the standard Fiat cab, but not bothered with them on our current van as it has an insulated front roller blind with heating outlets between the blind and screen.
We’ve got the insulated electric front blind too, but we still get condensation. Do the vents need to be switched on, or are they permanently open?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
External blinds keep the condensation to the outside of the glass and they don't rely on suction cups.

Disadvantages is they get wet and they can flap about a bit in high winds. Worth it though.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We’ve got the insulated electric front blind too, but we still get condensation. Do the vents need to be switched on, or are they permanently open?
I think Lenny is talking about the habitation heating vents most likely Alde not just cab heating.

Martin

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I wouldn't be without them for Winter nights. They make a huge difference and also reduce your heating bills. I've never used them in the summer but might do if I was in a really hot climate.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think Lenny is talking about the habitation heating vents most likely Alde not just cab heating.
Martin
Nope, I have Truma heating, Hymers from around 2012 have a row of vents along the top of the dash between the blind & screen fed from the Truma blow air.

They are permanently on, if it's damp & wet it's OK until you put the blind up. As the heating on the dash is fairly gentle we then get a bit of conensation when you put the blind up if we have been roasting ourselves but not much compared to a van without those vents. Week before last we were away Mon - Fri only had condensation of one day, screen bone dry rest of the time.
Our last van an Exsis had the same, bought external screens for it and in 3 years only used them 2 or 3 time so didn't bother with this van.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have a set of "Silver Screens" made by that company and they are intended for external use, although they can be used internally, their prime function is for the exterior and they do work.

I can't comment on the cheaper or alternative screens, internal or external, that are commonly referred to as silver screens, as I've never used them.

........We have bought external lightweight ones which don't have the condensation issue,........

Still not convinced! Will still leave them behind! Mind you, I do well remember those north easterlies of yours!

I'm confused as to how your external lightweights seem to be working correctly, in that they prevent your condensation issue by raising the temperature of the glass, yet you're still not convinced that they work ?

Unless you're comparing internals to externals ?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have a set of "Silver Screens" made by that company and they are intended for external use, although they can be used internally, their prime function is for the exterior and they do work.

I can't comment on the cheaper or alternative screens, internal or external, that are commonly referred to as silver screens, as I've never used them.

I'm confused as to how your external lightweights seem to be working correctly, in that they prevent your condensation issue by raising the temperature of the glass, yet you're still not convinced that they work ?

Unless you're comparing internals to externals ?
Yes.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
When you responded to @Minxy Girl earlier saying you weren't convinced, I take it you missed the part where she said that the only ones that keep the condensation away, were the external ones ?

Like yours that prevent condensation ?
Erm, getting a bit lost with this thread, but I agree externals are best to negate condensation. But we tend to not get too much condensation with our home-made internals which are made to hang loose from the screen, whereas our commercial suckered on padded internals are not good.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Excellent product, always use it but I have now bought a Cab Jacket mainly for when the MH is in storage, but I will try it out in the winter months . We never have condensation but ours is a coach built. I know many A class do suffer with condensation and carry a Karcher vac to dry it out.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
How do the external padded ones attach to the van? Is there any modifications required like press studs fixing etc or do they just wrap round and fix inside the door jars with a careful close?

I have internal padded ones for the side windows then the consatina thing for the front that is only for privacy as it offers very little in the way of insulation.

I had held off getting externals as I thought I'd have to have them fitted somehow. I would be 100% tempted if it's just a throw on job as for sure it would save on gas for the heating on cold nights.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the reply. Just found Paragon Silver Screens in West a Yorkshire. Watched there fitting video on YouTube and looks perfect for what I am after. No prices on the website or way to order other than calling them so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Anyone know what price to expect on a 15 plate Fiat Ducato?

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for the reply. Just found Paragon Silver Screens in West a Yorkshire. Watched there fitting video on YouTube and looks perfect for what I am after. No prices on the website or way to order other than calling them so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Anyone know what price to expect on a 15 plate Fiat Ducato?

£179 inc delivery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back