Do people really pay this much (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its not just a two week holiday once a year to those who are working full time. Its also two weeks at Easter, a week every half term and countless weekends away.

We have owned homes on the coast in the past but didnt use them even 1/4 of the amount we use the motorhome.:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am looking out of the window, the Sun is coming up and "lighting" up the pine trees opposite, I have just been watching a red squirrel and yesterday there was a wee deer lurking about ! There is a cycle track through the woods to the deserted beach !:thumb:

I have leccy, water and wi-fi ! There is a great market in the village and an Aldi just down the road !I come here every year ! Research my posts and you will find it, it is an aire and it is FREE !!!! also there is no time limit on your stay ! I see the same people(French,Dutch,German and Swedish) every year :Cool::Cool::Cool:

I am also looking out of the window,
its dark and needs lighting up.
Can just see the trees , the road outside is open for works.

O how I envy you.

But you have not done a lot for my state of mind this morning.

Thanks anyway

Enjoy it

Mel

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We use municipals whenever we can. Problem is that those with kids in school don't have the luxury of off peak rates. I bet the site you are on now is 5 or 6 times more expensive in July and August.

We've now started schooling ours at home. Off peak rates and availability, here we come!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm also gobsmacked at campsite prices at all singing/dancing top of the range, seaside High Season rates, because I think if I was going to pay those prices, I'm fairly certain it isn't much cheaper than taking as someone said - a Thomson etc package. Which we had used to do, shopped round for the best prices and also did winter sun hols in a number of places further afield that we quite fancied - yeah even unto southern India with a side trip to the Maldives.

But ... Pete and I used to go camping in France on one of the motorbikes. We would book a naturist campsite (not cheap ever) for a fortnight and stay in budget hotels en route - eg BandB, Villages, Marmotte sort of price-range.

Then when we got to the site after a couple of days we'd get twitchy (Pete's even worse than me for this) and go and take off to explore. See although I wouldn't choose it upfront, you could actually stick me in a field with a tap and an elsan dump and I could do nothing for a couple of weeks (well I'd have to have books and obviously, a stock of food and drinks - don't even need alcohol) Cos you adjust your frame of mind to your surroundings, don't you? Think it's called compromise ! BUT if there is something of interest to visit or see 'just over there' - then I'm not gonna settle till I've been and seen that thing. And then while we are there I'll probably see there's summat else I should really go and see. I have a vast repertoire of touristique suggestions, as I keep them all. Pete whinges at the number of leaflets I pick up, and then gets annoyed if it's a completely new area and I therefore have no idea what may be of interest in the vicinity!

Anyway ..... So when we came to analyse how much money it cost and how much time we actually spent 'camping' at the end of our holiday - the answer was, we'd spent not all that much time actually ON the camping because we were at the beach, market, castle, river ....... and then we'd say after we'd gone say to Giverny which kind of took a whole day from where we were at the time - it looks nice in these parts, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of round here some time ......

I forgot to say - yes we'd go off to eg a Greek island at somewhere close to a naturist beach, but we'd most times hire a scooter to explore! (Hire chaps were a bit bemused, we did more Kms on Kos and Skopelos than there were possible roads - but he didn't know we'd been up goat tracks and across fire roads in forests!) (Cos we needed to know where 'this' went, as you do ....)

And we usually stay on aires but it's by no means compulsory, and do sometimes stay on sites, but it's always the same, after a few days, we've had enough. If we did find one that we didn't want or need to move from, then OK we could stay there as long as we wanted, it isn't actually the money per se - as long as we don't feel we are being ripped off, of course. And sometimes, we have felt that we were. That isn't relaxing. So we leave and go some place else.

So a MoHo really gives us everything - except the motorbike, which I miss and I think Pete does too, but he still has em so maybe once he's retired we'll find ourselves towing a trailer ... time will tell!

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I'm also gobsmacked at campsite prices at all singing/dancing top of the range, seaside High Season rates, because I think if I was going to pay those prices, I'm fairly certain it isn't much cheaper than taking as someone said - a Thomson etc package. Which we had used to do, shopped round for the best prices and also did winter sun hols in a number of places further afield that we quite fancied - yeah even unto southern India with a side trip to the Maldives.

But ... Pete and I used to go camping in France on one of the motorbikes. We would book [HI]a naturist campsite (not cheap ever) [/HI]for a fortnight and stay in budget hotels en route - eg BandB, Villages, Marmotte sort of price-range.

Then when we got to the site after a couple of days we'd get twitchy (Pete's even worse than me for this) and go and take off to explore. See although I wouldn't choose it upfront, you could actually stick me in a field with a tap and an elsan dump and I could do nothing for a couple of weeks (well I'd have to have books and obviously, a stock of food and drinks - don't even need alcohol) Cos you adjust your frame of mind to your surroundings, don't you? Think it's called compromise ! BUT if there is something of interest to visit or see 'just over there' - then I'm not gonna settle till I've been and seen that thing. And then while we are there I'll probably see there's summat else I should really go and see. I have a vast repertoire of touristique suggestions, as I keep them all. Pete whinges at the number of leaflets I pick up, and then gets annoyed if it's a completely new area and I therefore have no idea what may be of interest in the vicinity!

Anyway ..... So when we came to analyse how much money it cost and how much time we actually spent 'camping' at the end of our holiday - the answer was, we'd spent not all that much time actually ON the camping because we were at the beach, market, castle, river ....... and then we'd say after we'd gone say to Giverny which kind of took a whole day from where we were at the time - it looks nice in these parts, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of round here some time ......

I forgot to say - yes we'd go off to eg a Greek island at somewhere close to a naturist beach, but we'd most times hire a scooter to explore! (Hire chaps were a bit bemused, we did more Kms on Kos and Skopelos than there were possible roads - but he didn't know we'd been up goat tracks and across fire roads in forests!) (Cos we needed to know where 'this' went, as you do ....)

And we usually stay on aires but it's by no means compulsory, and do sometimes stay on sites, but it's always the same, after a few days, we've had enough. If we did find one that we didn't want or need to move from, then OK we could stay there as long as we wanted, it isn't actually the money per se - as long as we don't feel we are being ripped off, of course. And sometimes, we have felt that we were. That isn't relaxing. So we leave and go some place else.

So a MoHo really gives us everything - except the motorbike, which I miss and I think Pete does too, but he still has em so maybe once he's retired we'll find ourselves towing a trailer ... time will tell!

Google Euronat (just down the road from here) They do deals at the beginning and end of the season, usually around the 11 Euro mark !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Salopian, we have had a real prob with mozzies and worse as we've been 'ad before along that coast whilst cutting through em to get to the beach, so am somewhat dubious of the whole area.

Around La Tranche sur Mer and the S coast around La Grand Cosse area once you come off the beach itself to get back to wherever, can also be quite iffy. Bit of a nuisance and drives me potty as I'm just not a person who can NOT scratch.

Even your common or garden British midge round long grass or trees, shrubs, can cause me grief. Pathetic!

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Well, I never knew that !!

I am always here early or late in the year, usually at the Le Gurp municipal site ! Never, ever seen a mossy or a midge !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
this is one of those threads that mean different things to different people. Everybody has a different perception as to what is cheap or expensive, it depends not only on circumstances at the time but upbringing and the circles one moves in. coming as I do from an area where water and sewerage charges are the highest in the country because of the annual influx of holiday makers I do not feel guilty about wilding for free stopping on Aires and not paying for said charges as I pay them 52 weeks of the year at home. we all have different budgets to live on and apportion different amounts to "holidays", some like myself do not actually have a set limit as long as I am able to pay my expences as I go and come back without debt then I am satisfied, I don't rely on savings for a holiday as I live hand to mouth, its not a crime and PAYGO is a way of life I have lived for a long time. I never did have a job that paid better than £50 a week so never gained expensive habits. Other people earn colossal sums per month and are able to save, and invest income so they have a totally different perspective to myself. Good luck to them. We are not all the same we all live different lives that collide when we post on a forum or meet at a rally.
From Self build van conversions that require a public health warning certificate to Monster American RV's and everything in between all have different ideas as to what is acceptable.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Because I choose to, because I can, simples really. Hope that answers your question.

We have paid 90e per night on an all singing dancing fantastic site.... Full of Chav types, but it gave our young kids a great education.... It had the best surf beaches in Europe within walking distance, great entertainment pools etc, we returned year after year...
It is now a great memory, and memories are priceless and can not have a price put on.
I've had great memories motor homing with my kids all over Europe, staying on mountains, aires, people's gardens, car parks you name it we have stopped on it.
Would I pay it again? You bet I would.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Fascinating thread, read through every post...:thumb:
What a diverse crowd.::bigsmile:
Just discovered that our first CC site for Easter doesn't have a toilet block!!!:Rofl1
It's really good to read everyone's experiences and for sure if there was no demand for the all singing/dancing sites then they would not exist, not that they are my choice of site.
Just give me space, peace and security...:Cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I can't believe that people are willing to pay these high prices. When my kids were young, we had several summer holidays in either a tent or static caravan. They were never on sites loaded with facilities but the children really enjoyed themselves teaming up with other children, making their own entertainment and playing creatively. My son, who takes his 3 girls and their dog away in a caravan, said that although they sometimes pay for holidays on sites with entertainment, etc., the girls have enjoyed themselves just as much when they've roughed it.

Instead of paying loads of money to stay in an expensive site on the mediterranean why not rethink and look at some of the sites in the mountains/on lakes and rivers? I've just found Camping de Roybon in the Rhone Alpes in the ACSI book and in the middle of August the price for a week in a motorhome for up to six people is €98.

I understand perfectly what you say Mike and would probably have said the same if I had travelled in couple. But I was going away with my 2 kids on my own (from the age of 6 and 4 to the age of 17 and 15), and we were tenting. Sometimes I was taking my godson and his brother just the same , but only for a week ( driving them back and return in one day).
Never ever could I have had some peaceful hols if I hadn't chosen an expensive campsite which was providing all I needed to feel a bit relaxed. There were guards at the entrance , at night time they had disco but were well checked by other employees of the campsite. I could have some sort of holidays as well. I had friends in this campsite and we could go to the beach or the swimming pool (when they were young my children were always going along with me). When teenagers they could have some good time on their own.

As you know Mike I am a childminder all year long , and I must say that even if my children are different to me than the ones I care, somehow it always sounds a bit like working still. No one was by my side to help a bit and let me rest. It was the only way for me to do so ... paying a bit more.
Nowadays , I must say that I would be horrified to pay such an amount of money. The only time I would do it , would be to meet friends .... friends are worth every penny (not too long though::bigsmile: ... ) Or if I really need to stop one day for a "chores day" and some entertainement.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Aires are good for passing through but not for staying on more than a couple of nights (unless you're going to be out all day). Fortunately, we don't have to be there in the height of season but it must be hard for those with children of school age. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

How come 'height' has the 'e' before the 'i'? That's an oddity. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I understand perfectly what you say Mike and would probably have said the same if I had travelled in couple. But I was going away with my 2 kids on my own (from the age of 6 and 4 to the age of 17 and 15), and we were tenting. Sometimes I was taking my godson and his brother just the same , but only for a week ( driving them back and return in one day).
Never ever could I have had some peaceful hols if I hadn't chosen an expensive campsite which was providing all I needed to feel a bit relaxed. There were guards at the entrance , at night time they had disco but were well checked by other employees of the campsite. I could have some sort of holidays as well. I had friends in this campsite and we could go to the beach or the swimming pool (when they were young my children were always going along with me). When teenagers they could have some good time on their own.

As you know Mike I am a childminder all year long , and I must say that even if my children are different to me than the ones I care, somehow it always sounds a bit like working still. No one was by my side to help a bit and let me rest. It was the only way for me to do so ... paying a bit more.
Nowadays , I must say that I would be horrified to pay such an amount of money. The only time I would do it , would be to meet friends .... friends are worth every penny (not too long though::bigsmile: ... ) Or if I really need to stop one day for a "chores day" and some entertainement.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

You're a strong lady Frankie and I'm full of admiration. ::bigsmile::hug: Aren't you over here this year? I'd love to see you again. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You're a strong lady Frankie and I'm full of admiration. ::bigsmile::hug: Aren't you over here this year? I'd love to see you again. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Over here?? England ? Or Spain like last year? JJ and I willl be at Malvern , trying to help Brisey with marshalling. Now don't expect I'm gonna cook anything... you'll have to come to my place for that .... We've got a deal with JJ ....::bigsmile::winky: HE drives, HE cooks, He does the cleaning... and I'm just allowed to ... WATCH and better keep mute:Doh: ! I know ... so hard (to keep mute that is LOL!) :roflmto:

We'll be in a few other places too, but it all depends on the old Lady's (hymer!) good will. I'm sure she'll be a good girl!!::bigsmile:

Affectueusement

Frankie:Cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back