Do people really pay this much (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Im sure people realise they can get cheaper sites if they want .. it would be a little naive to think people dont realise this... its a choice .. plain and simple.
Isn't this the opposite thread to the freecamping ones that spring up

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
use aires most of the time and sometimes a campsite for maybe a couple of days but after that
i want to see whats over the next hill.
but its is all about what you want still think if you are going to stay put on a site you might as well have a caravan.

unless you are one of the lucky ones on here who can travel when you want you lucky so and so's.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve stayed on good sites with beach front pitches pool showers etc and are happy to pay for it but we also have stayed on some beautifull aires on river and lakesides just depend what our needs are at the time most aires near good beaches do tend to be overcrowded dusty car parks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I went to Las Dunas last year and paid the rates Jim quotes. I think I actually paid more than that as we had a super pitch.

I don't go for the entertainment but I do go for a nice pool ( only in the mornings when it's quiet) and a bike ride to deserted areas of beach and some seriously good restaurants and tapas bars.

I can't do it every year but I plan on doing it every other year.

I love that area and in July/ August a villa near to the beach costs a bomb.

If I could go out of season I would. A few years ago we went to a smaller site not far from Las Dunas, right on the beach and it was €100 for the week but that was late May.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
use aires most of the time and sometimes a campsite for maybe a couple of days but after that
i want to see whats over the next hill.
but its is all about what you want still think if you are going to stay put on a site you might as well have a caravan.

unless you are one of the lucky ones on here who can travel when you want you lucky so and so's.

my sentiment altogether , when you are looking at a £1000 a week you would be better off with a static on a site and save your diesel

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
campsites

Hi all aires are for overnight parking they are not campsites caravans not allowed also most aires are not free we have paid 10 euros on many occasions Thanks Bernie

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I must say am shocked by these prices. I could never pay the likes of £40 per night for a campsite, even when I was working. But then again that's probably how I managed to retire at 50 and travel as and when I like. There is obviously a plus side to being a skinflint :winky:. Have never felt the need to use ACSI as I dont have to worry about campsites that charge more than a hotel, I much prefer local municipals in France anyway. Whatever happened to camping as it used to be, grubbing around in rock pools and undergrowth, looking for mushrooms and BBQing over an open fire whilst sitting around it with a beer. This all singing, all dancing camping is not for me. Why do people buy a motorhome and then demand campsite showers,toilets and all the comforts of a 5 star hotel. Why not just have a holiday in a hotel and have done with it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well I must say am shocked by these prices. I could never pay the likes of £40 per night for a campsite, even when I was working. But then again that's probably how I managed to retire at 50 and travel as and when I like. There is obviously a plus side to being a skinflint :winky:. Have never felt the need to use ACSI as I dont have to worry about campsites that charge more than a hotel, I much prefer local municipals in France anyway. Whatever happened to camping as it used to be, grubbing around in rock pools and undergrowth, looking for mushrooms and BBQing over an open fire whilst sitting around it with a beer. This all singing, all dancing camping is not for me. Why do people buy a motorhome and then demand campsite showers,toilets and all the comforts of a 5 star hotel. Why not just have a holiday in a hotel and have done with it.

Sorry but what does it matter what other people want or do?

Surely it's about personal choice?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Why?

That could go for everything in life why spend £80k on a motorhome when you can get one for £20K its personal choice, i for one would never question someone who wants to stay offsite all the time as thats their choice some would call them free loading tossers though:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have been to France several times and have used Aires, France Passion, Municipal site to all singing all dancing sites. Why do we pay £40 because i want my daughter and normally her friend to have a good time and if it cost me £40 to see her smiling making friends and having fun then its a bargain. Sophie will be 16 this year so when we go abroad we tend to use a mixture of the above mentioned i do admit some of the best sites we have stayed on are free or very cheap.

When we went to Lake Garda a couple of years back we booked it through the cc and got it at a discounted price of £25 a night for a lakeside pitch we turned up two days early and asked if we could book extra two nights it cost us £45 per night and after pitching up and drinking a cold magners as i watched Sophie and Emma (friend) playing in the Lake i though thats money well spent.

We are hoping to head to Slovenia this summer so think it will be sites for most of the holiday.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry but what does it matter what other people want or do?

Surely it's about personal choice?

Doesn't matter a damn what people do, I just wonder sometimes why they bought a motorhome in the first place. I think some of em also forgot why :ROFLMAO:.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
yes aires are for one or two nights only but that suits me fine. i am happy to pay 10 euros a night for a aire near a in a nice village ect.
as i feel that it supports the local community and i love touring. but if people like staying on site chilling out thats also fine. i am lucky that my daughter and wife also have the touring bug.
ahh roll on summer.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I can only answer for myself here .. we have a van and a tent and we like to move around. Im not interested in grubbing around and the van has a bbq point. I like nice clean things in great areas where I can decide how long to stay. I dont mind paying for quality (within reason of course). Stopping in a car park just doesnt appeal.
In fact .. this year we were going to go to Huez to watch the TDF .. but the teenagers would never cope with the 4 days in advance parked on the side of an alp.. so we're off to a lovely site near Nice instead.. pool .. nice food .. great weather. Awesome scenery too. I font mind paying for that.

... remember .. as someone said
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Doesn't matter a damn what people do, I just wonder sometimes why they bought a motorhome in the first place. I think some of em also forgot why :ROFLMAO:.

I can see that. We bought one to please ourselves and we do.

We will be spending Easter in Wales right on my favourite beach for about £300 for two weeks. if I rented a cottage it would cost me £1200.

Thats why I bought a motorhome. We would probably be better off with a caravan but I can't be ars*d towing and all that setting up.

Last edited:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

After too many years travelling the World staying in 5 star hotels when I was working, I have had my fill of them. I now have my 5 star hotel room on wheels, if I want to have a change of restaurant or scenery or neighbours then I can. For me, I like the comfort and good facilities but under my control.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I wish more people would use these expensive sites....

It would mean more space on aires for people like me :thumb:

I have never used a campsite in europe. 100% aires and wild for me.

In Wales I also only wild camp. Although this year I may be staying on a small very friendly site :winky:

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
aires or campsites

Hi all
Regarding aires or campsites if you have teenagers and maybe a pet you would not want to be parking long term on aires or carparks kids get bored and there not a lot of room in a camper if you are on a campsite you can unload put all your gear out and enjoy the weather if its for 2 weeks then try another site for a change :Cool:

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
you dont just have to sit in the dust aire car park in your van though you can always visit the local surrounding areas on your push bike or local transport for a change.
i just leave the wife, dog and child in there cooking dinner ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We were in the Dordogne the beginning of September last year and as it was too hot to wild camp, we went onto a municipal so as we could run the aircon. We paid 6 Emus per night and it was a super site right on the river with a small bar and the village petanque courts just outside the gate. Have paid 10 Emus per night for the odd couple of nights in France but I never realised that people paid the sort of money talked about on this thread. I must be using some very run down areas of France :Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We were in the Dordogne the beginning of September last year and as it was too hot to wild camp, we went onto a municipal so as we could run the aircon. We paid 6 Emus per night and it was a super site right on the river with a small bar and the village petanque courts just outside the gate. Have paid 10 Emus per night for the odd couple of nights in France but I never realised that people paid the sort of money talked about on this thread. I must be using some very run down areas of France :Blush:

We use municipals whenever we can. Problem is that those with kids in school don't have the luxury of off peak rates. I bet the site you are on now is 5 or 6 times more expensive in July and August.

We stayed at a lovely site in Brittany last May half term which I enjoyed more than the expensive sites. That was €100 for the week but is €700 in the summer.:Sad:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i wouldnt pay that price at anyother time apart from my summer trip then i will pay anything from 30 to 60 euro a night for a nice camp in spain or italy these trips i class as my holidays other trips are just relaxing journeys we even sometimes get a static caravan or chalet if our daughter or family want to join us :Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
As I type this.....

I am looking out of the window, the Sun is coming up and "lighting" up the pine trees opposite, I have just been watching a red squirrel and yesterday there was a wee deer lurking about ! There is a cycle track through the woods to the deserted beach !:thumb:

I have leccy, water and wi-fi ! There is a great market in the village and an Aldi just down the road !I come here every year ! Research my posts and you will find it, it is an aire and it is FREE !!!! also there is no time limit on your stay ! I see the same people(French,Dutch,German and Swedish) every year :Cool::Cool::Cool:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
We do pay that in the summer and its worth every penny if you get the right site. We take a motorbike and use that explore and do sometimes a few hundred miles a day.

If I go off on my own then my wife can amuse herself at the site as there will be plenty to do.

It is also nice to now that the chances are everything including the trailer will be there when we get back.

Other times of the year we use Aires and Camping Cheques or similar.

I suppose you pays yer money you takes yer choice

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I am looking out of the window, the Sun is coming up and "lighting" up the pine trees opposite, I have just been watching a red squirrel and yesterday there was a wee deer lurking about ! There is a cycle track through the woods to the deserted beach !:thumb:

I have leccy, water and wi-fi ! There is a great market in the village and an Aldi just down the road !I come here every year ! Research my posts and you will find it, it is an aire and it is FREE !!!! also there is no time limit on your stay ! I see the same people(French,Dutch,German and Swedish) every year :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Sounds really nice i bet you could have stayed there in a cheaper motorhome to the one you have though allthough you chose not to just like people choose to pay extra for sites they like and want to use.

everyone to their own or it would be a boring world

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You get what you pay for ! and I don't do cheap !!

Sounds really nice i bet you could have stayed there in a [HI]cheaper motorhome to the one you have [/HI]though allthough you chose not to just like people choose to pay extra for sites they like and want to use.

everyone to their own or it would be a boring world

Admittedly it is a "luxurious" MH, but I have been full timing in it up until a couple of months time, so a "cheap " van was out of the question !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Hi
been looking at les's excellent downloads of France and Italy , but am astounded at the prices, if they are for one night, do people really pay £40 a night for camps in France when you can park up for nothing anywhere you want on aires and France Passion.
Not knocking anyone or anything , I just had never looked at campsites before because I thought they would be dear but this is right off my radar.
You could have bed and breakfast for that

We generally stop on aires but there are many times when the aires are full in popular locations.

also the camp sites that do charge high prices offer absolutely fantastic facilities, I have yet to see a campsite in the UK that comes anywhere near them, almost every campsite abroad also have larger pitches as well.

generally the ones that we have stayed on are around €14 - €20 and still have great facilities.

Also Now you can see why it is necessary to know about the campsite BEFORE you get there :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just for the record am not saying that paying £40 plus per night is wrong or for that matter right. Its just not for me as my trips abroad tend to be for months rather than days, so its just not practical. I have friends with £200000 plus RVs and friends with £5000 campers, but they are all friends and they all have different ideas of what is the best situation for them. In answering the original post, yes SOME people do pay £40 per night for campsites, but as I said earlier its not for ME, quite simply because if I did pay £40 plus for a campsite there would be no money left for beer, and I like to take one occasionally. I can understand if someone is working with a small family and has 2 weeks holiday in France per year paying £40 per night, but for someone touring for 6 months that would be financial suicide. Having said that, if I only had a couple of weeks holidays per year, the last thing in the world I would buy is a motorhome, but that's just MY thoughts, not necessarily right or wrong.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Just for the record am not saying that paying £40 plus per night is wrong or for that matter right. Its just not for me as my trips abroad tend to be for months rather than days, so its just not practical. I have friends with £200000 plus RVs and friends with £5000 campers, but they are all friends and they all have different ideas of what is the best situation for them. In answering the original post, yes SOME people do pay £40 per night for campsites, but as I said earlier its not for ME, quite simply because if I did pay £40 plus for a campsite there would be no money left for beer, and I like to take one occasionally. I can understand if someone is working with a small family and has 2 weeks holiday in France per year paying £40 per night, but for someone touring for 6 months that would be financial suicide. Having said that, if I only had a couple of weeks holidays per year, the last thing in the world I would buy is a motorhome, but that's just MY thoughts, not necessarily right or wrong.

They may be just your Thoughts, But they are exactly right ::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i agree each to their own but consider we used to pay around 2k for a Thomson al fresco holiday in italy or spain my wife always flew i always drove that price is now down to 500 per 10 days @50 a night and thats in euro not pound i know i now have a mh to insure and tax but for us its still a massive saving and also gives us the freedom to take more trips than before it depends on your budget and also what you was used to paying before you owned a mh but like said before thats my opinion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back