Do people have CCTV in their vans? (1 Viewer)

Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
ideally i want a gps tracker system as well but in an ideal world i'd love a 360 system that I could use as cctv that would be accessible from an app on my phone. Dont know if it exists.

For those of you that have cctv on your vans, what do you use? does anyone have the footage sent to 'the cloud'. I'd want to be able to remote view the van if i was away from it and concerned.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do have 360 cameras but only live when engine or ignition on

guess it could be wired differently but would think hook up would be essential

mine does record , but fairly archaic download via removable card

my system though is 4 years old they might well have improved that side of things

just struggling now to recall the fitters

omni vision rings a bell

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Just a thought 🤔how about a door bell camera they run from batteries (rechargeable) they can be programmed to record to the cloud and can be viewed on your smartphone. Search Google for camera doorbell £25
PS you would need wifi

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you have wifi in your van these or similar work ok, is best to have it upload to the cloud or the intruder could just take out the memory card or even the camera.(if left in full view)
I have installed one of those recently to pass a few hours.
Mine was installed to monitor the doggie if I need to leave him in the van. Doesn`t happen often but sometimes I need to leave him for an hour or two.
Seems to work well but not tried it in action yet.
It connects to the mifi so you need a data card. On one occassion it wouldn`t show the live video and I had to go in the van to restart the mifi to get it to connect. That would have been annoying if it had happened when I wanted to spy on the doggie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
planning a conversion
I have installed one of those recently to pass a few hours.
Mine was installed to monitor the doggie if I need to leave him in the van. Doesn`t happen often but sometimes I need to leave him for an hour or two.
Seems to work well but not tried it in action yet.
It connects to the mifi so you need a data card. On one occassion it wouldn`t show the live video and I had to go in the van to restart the mifi to get it to connect. That would have been annoying if it had happened when I wanted to spy on the doggie
Does it use much data?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I think some of the you tube full timers have them. I will be installing one in my new van, just for at home as an additional protection in case anyone tried to take it off my drive (along with additional alarms etc)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is off a 12volt battery sent wirelessly to my router. Not exactly what your looking for, however it's been running for 6 months, plus voice Comms for £12.58

f11b39e38b9a11e4_0.jpg

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Ive just bought a Neos smart cam about £30 connects to wi fi from house because van is on drive will use mi fi when I am away. It sends a message if someone enters the van and records it to the cloud.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Some countries in Europe don't even allow dashcams* or restrict their use, and there are heavy penalties, so so fitting CCTV would restrict where you can travel.

[*Maybe this is why car manufacturers still won't fit them as standard even though some fit forward facing cameras for other safety systems that could also be used as dashcams if they installed suitable software.]

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Does it use much data?
From the limited testing I've done it seems it can be turned on and active but only uses data when your pan and tilting the camera. I can record video or stills onto my phone and there is a mini usb on the camera but not used that yet and I doubt I will as its not intended as security, just look to see what the dogs up to lol.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My Garmin dashcam records movement to the Sim when the ignition is off (extra £30 for D+ sensor) but I've never bothered to look at them. I could turn it inwards to record internal activity if I wanted but it does not transmit to mobile.
Someone I know had an iPad stolen which had software on that reported back where it was. He followed it to some foreign country and was then able to watch the new owners as they used it. Fun, perhaps, but not much practical use.
I only mention that to suggest that you consider what you intend to do with the information you get.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back