Do People buy vans 'requiring attention'? (1 Viewer)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
They do do small repairs like that, I smashed my front bumper in two in Morocco in Feb this year, cost me £48 to have it fibreglassed and re sprayed, result I'd say, although to be fair, smashed it again when I hit a block of ice in the Atlas Mountains!
You don't have much luck with your bumpers then?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
for a start we always carry rolls of Gaffa tape for this sort of thing! better then drilling and fixing plates me thinks...Looks better then I expected to be honest..just throw a few quid at it:)

people can get a bit precious regards campers..whereas car damage you just shrug..funny that:LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
They do do small repairs like that, I smashed my front bumper in two in Morocco in Feb this year, cost me £48 to have it fibreglassed and re sprayed, result I'd say, although to be fair, smashed it again when I hit a block of ice in the Atlas Mountains!
sounds like the replacement needs to be made from rubber on your van. my late mother in law used to drive by "touch" as well. she knew the car was in the garage when she heard the crunch as the bumper touched the wall at the back. her last car wasn't viable to get repaired at 2 years old when she thankfully gave up. not a straight panel or trim on the entire car despite only having about 2000 miles on the clock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The damage actually isn't as bad as I expected from the photos you've posted. Get in touch with some local car repairers and see what they say, or if there's a local garage/one who does your servicing etc who you trust ask them where they'd recommend such work is done as you can bet that's where they'd use if the need arises.

You'd be better getting it repaired and then selling it otherwise you'll get silly offers from people and also put a lot off who are not able or prepared to sort out for it to be repaired.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hoped no one would ask! On a lovely site on the Quiberon Neck, alongside beautiful beaches, was taking dogs for a walk through the site to where they could be off lead, the dogs are big boys, usually gentle and calm, had one of them on an extending lead, nylon type rope, typical of your awkward French motorhomer, one of them had a catflap, and cats !!

Harold saw the cat, I didn't, I heard the unravelling sound of the lead, tried to disintangle myself, too late, 29kg of hairy Harry and the lead left my fingers/ hand in quite a mess, French pompiers summoned, very efficiently collected all the bits, 40 mile ride in Fire appliance, two tones and all!

Within 2 hours was in operating theatre being stitched back together, 5 stars to the French health service, 10 out of ten to the friendly helpful peoples on the campsite, two fingers to the French cat lovers!
Not 'literally' I hope! o_O

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I seem to remember someone posting up that this firm will make you a mould for a complete new panel, using the remains of the old one, if need be. I reckon what you've got there is repairable though.

http://motorhomebumpers.com/

As for if someone will buy it as it is now, yes of course, but only at the right price, i.e. a low one. I can't see dealers being interested, most won't want the hassle.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
What you can't see from the pics is that the fixing area along the top, hidden by trim, is completely missing, the screwed plates and bodged in self tappers are holding the whole thing on, gaffa tape wasn't strong enough.

As I can't drive the van it's tricky getting opinions/estimates, we are about 12 miles from nearest town, going have to bite the bullet and get a mate put on insurance, but you know what it's like allowing someone else to drive your van.

And yes, literally!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would ask for photos of the hand ... but I think it would put people off their tea and probably come under the heading of an 'unsuitable image'!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like minor damage to me. Body work easily filled and sprayed in by any good body shop. Bumper faily easy to repair grp tape and resin behind and fill the gaps on the front side with gel coat filler then respray.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Right, now the suggestions for the van's repair are done, who's willing to help 'repair' the damaged hand ... I've got a good few power tools we can utilise!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ouch, sounds painful..........
Hope the bodywork is soon repaired as good as new.....the hand and the Hymer that is :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Right, now the suggestions for the van's repair are done, who's willing to help 'repair' the damaged hand ... I've got a good few power tools we can utilise!
take 2 aspirin and it will be better in the morning. seriously though micro surgery has really moved on over recent decades. Even 20 years ago, my dad had an accident with a saw. which was repaired by the good old NHS with stitches and some metalwork. back to work almost straight away even then. These days they can work what would once of been called miracles, even repairing damaged nerves and the holy grail of hand transplants that work.

A few torn tendons and soft tissue damage will heal with help and you adapt to a point you no longer notice. Mind you, from experience with multiple fractures and spinal damage, the cold weather reminds you. all the more reason to chase the sun

Last edited:
OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Does he look sorry??
harryhand.jpg

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Could have all been a lot worse, could've got the cat!! Harry is a rescue only been with us a couple of months, so the cat obsession is new to us.
Hopefully tendon will be sorted at the end of the month then time will tell. Thanks everyone

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
I seem to remember someone posting up that this firm will make you a mould for a complete new panel, using the remains of the old one, if need be. I reckon what you've got there is repairable though.

http://motorhomebumpers.com/

Got a quote on line from here, thanks feltwell, cheaper than I anticipated, so repair with new bumper is feasible, just bodywork quote to get now, or try to sell 3 grand under market value, still can't decide will sleep on it.

OP
OP
bhs

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Given it a whirl in classifieds, should be in Portugal now not NHS Derby! Doh!!!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
sounds like the replacement needs to be made from rubber on your van. my late mother in law used to drive by "touch" as well. she knew the car was in the garage when she heard the crunch as the bumper touched the wall at the back. her last car wasn't viable to get repaired at 2 years old when she thankfully gave up. not a straight panel or trim on the entire car despite only having about 2000 miles on the clock.
Used to drive by touch when I had a Volvo, rubber bumpers, much more precise than proximity sensors!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back