Do not visit Motorhomefun before buying a van. (1 Viewer)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Please do not read Motorhomefun before you buy a van. You will find the forums so full of scary stories, be drawn to troublesome things like payload and worry you need to spend thousands on security and redesigning the electric system.
Best to buy the van then use it. After a while it will be safe to visit the Forum as by then you will know much of it is nonsense.

A Proper Read Indicates Liability, Forget Other Options Likely.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If this is not an April 1st wind up..

Why would you spend 10's of thousands of pounds blindfolded.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, looking back over your early posts in 2019 you do appear to be giving a lot of advice on quite a few threads...... A case of do as I say, not as I do?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hefty grain of truth in the OP. Want to confuse yourself? Visit a forum (this one or any other popular one) and you'll find as many different recommendations, dos and don'ts, horror stories and happy endings as would keep the average person engaged for the next lockdown and beyond.

Better you spend some time cruising local dealerships until you find something that you feel comfortable with and then maybe start seeing what other people think. Took us the best part of a year before we chanced upon our current moho and the research we did once we'd found it enabled a productive discussion with the dealer to lay various potential problems to rest.

Reactions: 68c

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't believe anyone thought this was a serious thread! :rofl:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Please do not read Motorhomefun before you buy a van. You will find the forums so full of scary stories, be drawn to troublesome things like payload and worry you need to spend thousands on security and redesigning the electric system.
Best to buy the van then use it. After a while it will be safe to visit the Forum as by then you will know much of it is nonsense.

A Proper Read Indicates Liability, Forget Other Options Likely.
Can you post something sensible tomorrow please.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Can’t believe somebody has tried to put an April Fools wind up on the forum, and after midday too.

Reactions: 68c

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do what I did......spend a shed load of money on one, then look at it through the window parked on the drive. Makes a great garden ornament. ;)
No, do what we did. Spend a shed load of money on one only to find that it is too long to go on the drive so we can’t even look out of the window to see it on the drive:doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I must say there is a certain amount of truth in the op, if we had read this forum before we bought our first van we probably wouldn't have done half of what we have.
We bought the first van unseen on eBay for the princely sum of three grand, set off on a three thousand trip around Europe within a month, no travel insurance, no breakdown insurance, stopped on motorway Aires, talked to Spaniards in black mercs, parked up anywhere, one door wouldn't even lock, hadn't a clue about grey water, black water, just went and did it, best trip ever.
Now since we have been on here all that has changed.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
only if you are a sheep type person

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our first motorhome was a 28ft RV with Chevy v8 diesel which served us very well with U.K. and trips across the channel .
I wonder how many funsters would have recommended it as a good buy.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
No, do what we did. Spend a shed load of money on one only to find that it is too long to go on the drive so we can’t even look out of the window to see it on the drive:doh:

I measured, chalked the dimensions on the ground, measured again, chalked the dimensions on the ground again.

Then, called my nearest and dearest out to check and double check.

Then fretted for 9 months until we took delivery, parked it on the drive, and guess what........it fits!:Grin:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Ooops! Should have bought a suitable house with a longer drive ... then ordered the MH ...

Have you decided to move yet? Old Mo may have some tips. :unsure:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I measured, chalked the dimensions on the ground, measured again, chalked the dimensions on the ground again.

Then, called my nearest and dearest out to check and double check.

Then fretted for 9 months until we took delivery, parked it on the drive, and guess what........it fits!:Grin:
Drive measuring was one of our first “can we do it” steps.
One of the steps we did AFTER putting down a deposit on one was tell the neighbour we had a motorhome turning up 😳
We have a shared drive 😜
But luckily they were excited for us and totally on board.
They even offered to park offset which is handy but not essential.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back