Do not errect your awning level! (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Parked up ,wound out the awning, anchored it down and went to the pub in the rain.
Came back to find the awning collapsed one side with the front bracket half ripped out of the van.:cry:
Seems as the water collected in the centre of the awning in a large pool ,forced down the friction support leg,tipped it over to the ground one side, trying to rip itself off the M/H.
Moral is--put a slant on your awning so the rain can run off to one corner not collect in the middle :thumb:
Nearly repaired now :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Even having a pitch on your wind-out awning isn't always sufficient.

We had it happen to us with our awning sloped quite considerably. The rain was so hard the result was the same!

It's probably best to put it away before leaving it, especially in our rapidly-changing weather!:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I can think of 2 occasions where I have seen awnings collapsed through bad weather.

First was at one of the Midsummer Shows at the Lincolnshire Showground when there had been so much rain the awning of the camper next to us was literally ripped from the vehicle. Lots of damage and very unhappy punters when they returned from the displays.

Second was at Fairfields C C site near Chester, we were only overnighting so didn't bother with very much but many of the caravans had their awnings out and a strong wind blew them right over the top of the caravans, doing a lot of damage to the poles etc.

Moral is, be very cautious when using the awning and if unsure, put it away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do not seem to have that issue on an RV awning

May be because we are a small RV and our awning is only about 16' long, we do not have this issue... the material is pulled out taunt due to the fact the roller is the bit that comes out on the arms and the material is held to the awning rail... with the use of flappers (we use 3 per side) that makes a very firm canvas ..... we may put a slight pitch on it to help run the water away to one side.. but it does not sag the material on our RV, and we have had it out in some very nasty rain.. i.e Peterborough... Takes a lot of wind before we pull the ground stakes and canvas strops and roll it away.

I am hoping tomorrow to put it out in France and leave it out for the next 3 weeks, even if it rains.

Bob:Blush:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I was extremely lucky whilst on Isle de Noirmoutier 2 yrs ago-awning was out (and level)
it was raining quite lightly when I left to go to reception for bread.Suddenly the heavens opened !! I got soaked and was aplauded for actually reaching reception by those trapped in there ::bigsmile:
I picked up our baguette and pain au raisins-stuffed them under my soaking 'non-waterproof' and legged it back to our pitch.The awning was sagging in middle and I couldn't push it up to empty it.I had to let one leg down and was deluged with what seemed like gallons.
Fortunately there seemed to be no damage and it's still working on now.
Now put a pitch on it !!

Mike.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
A word of caution when using tie-down straps. We had the full safari room out and pegged all the way round the bottom. The wind was quite strong so I tightened the tie-down strap. It was not moving at all until a really strong gust came and due to a combination of wind and tensioned strap the awning was forced DOWN twisting the front rail. Fortunately I have managed to straighten it out but it could have been a lot worse.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we use large tension springs

A word of caution when using tie-down straps. We had the full safari room out and pegged all the way round the bottom. The wind was quite strong so I tightened the tie-down strap. It was not moving at all until a really strong gust came and due to a combination of wind and tensioned strap the awning was forced DOWN twisting the front rail. Fortunately I have managed to straighten it out but it could have been a lot worse.

In the American tie down kits they come with a long tension spring to allow for a bit of whip.

We do not use a safari type room, but do have the wind blockers on the front and normally one end.. that allows wind to pass through on corners and not allow the awning to create a trap for the wind. As I said the RV's have a large roller that is the front of the awning when it is down and there are arms to the side of the RV (Can be disconnected to act as legs)... but I tend to keep them connected to the RV .. with the flappers we have found that works for us... well it has now for 25 years.

And we have had much longer awnings than we have now in the past.

Bob

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Centre support

Our Fiamma has a central bar that fits between the centre of the cassette and the centre of the section that winds out. Doesn't help much with wind but does help to prevent the middle from sagging.
I have seen that later version have a similar bar which is curved, thus pushing the centre of the awning up. Probably even better for water-shedding but must be a bit of a sod to find a good place to stow it.
Don't know if they are available as after sales, though if you didn't have one to begin with I imagine you'd need to fit the 'clipping' points as well.

John

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
And I think his safari room might be a tad loose when attached.:Eeek:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
And I think his safari room might be a tad loose when attached.:Eeek:

Can just imagine the mess that would cause when the automatic retracting mechanism kicked in. :roflmto:

Posh, though. And a snip at £1400 plus the price of a inverter to get 230v.

John

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a guaranteed, 100% reliable method of avoiding all awning problems and difficulties...

A method developed after over forty years of using live-in vans of one type or another... and twenty years of living fulltime in one...

I don't have an awning... not now... not then... not ever...

My van gives me freedom... I will not tie it down to the ground...

JJ :Cool:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

:Eeek:4mtr awning fitted 4 support upright rails to assist against weight and wind
tie over roof inside fitted tie,s [stuck on] tied to internal supports,roof ertect adjustable [wide] support to stop water resting on top:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Parked up ,wound out the awning, anchored it down and went to the pub in the rain.
Came back to find the awning collapsed one side with the front bracket half ripped out of the van.:cry:
Seems as the water collected in the centre of the awning in a large pool ,forced down the friction support leg,tipped it over to the ground one side, trying to rip itself off the M/H.
Moral is--put a slant on your awning so the rain can run off to one corner not collect in the middle :thumb:

It actually states in the instructions (who bothers to read em, eh !) to make one corner of the awning lower than the other to allow rain water to drain off. :thumb:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
This raises my own question ---we have bought the windblocker curtains (we tried them out last week) and so the awning is out all the time we have the straps on the front and a storm strap but we hated leaving the awning out at night. every time the wind got up we worried.
Are they ok to leave out or are taking a risk ??

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Bungee used to tighten Fiamma.

I have the Autosleeper Amethyst. The door is fairly high and the awning needs to be almost horizontal running away from the vehicle to clear the door when opening it. I always put a steep slope running front to rear.
The secret is to put in the central bar and then retract the awning a little to tighten the whole unit. Before lifting it to its working height I put a couple of bungee cords between the 'bendy' arms, to stop any sagging. The combination of the slope and the bungees completely stops the buid up of water. If there is any chance of windy conditions I use the Fiamma Tie Down Kit. The one with a spring.
I am about to buy the Wind Blockers, but the problem is that the front, normally supplied, screens are rectangular, because most users can slope the Fiamma away from the van. With the Amethyst and I presume other Autosleeper Monocoques this is impossible. Luckily the manufacturers have move into our town, Macclesfield, so only a mile or so to travel, so I can discuss the problem.

When we had a caravan that we left for the summer in Wales, our neighbour left his Fiamma up for all the summer, even when unattended, Complete with glass topped table and chair underneath. Amazingly it survived with no problems.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm amazed anyone can sleep through the noise the awning makes if the wind gets up, I normally wind mine in if the weather looks dodgy, the first time I left mine out the noise was terrific (we'd had a good bevy session as well),it frightened me to death, I could,nt get back to sleep, I went out at 2am and put it away.:Eeek:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I always use two roof rafters on my Omnistor awning and pitch it level.
The rafters are spring loaded and keep the awning fabric nice and taut.
The awning sheds rainwater really fast and it never gets a puddle. I've even woken up to 6 inches of snow on it.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun