Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Hmm near the Swiss boarder south of Alsace. I understand l will need a vigenette to drive but will l be asked for my drivers licence as l have left this in the UK by mistake.. lf thus shouldn't be a problem as a newbie is the Terrain going to be difficult ..l don't want to just drive motorways and l'm heading down towards ltaly .. so any advice will be appreciated.
:Doh:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I don,t know if things have changed, but when we went to Switzerland two years ago we just bought a vignet at the Border, (they tried to charge us euros but we had Swiss Francs which was cheaper) lovely Country enjoy. Pete :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
They just asked us for money.
No please, thank you or even a smile.
Pulled up at the cabin, bloke said "you destination?"
I said "Italy, tomorrow".
He said "40 Francs"' stuck the sticker in my screen, turned and returned to his cabin.

Miserable, bad mannered GIT.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
He said "40 Francs"' stuck the sticker in my screen, turned and returned to his cabin.

Thanks for the replys .. do l take it that you still pay the toll charges and how long does the Vignette last for? .. Sry Newbie here but learning fast..

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hmm near the Swiss boarder south of Alsace. I understand l will need a vigenette to drive but will l be asked for my drivers licence as l have left this in the UK by mistake.. lf thus shouldn't be a problem as a newbie is the Terrain going to be difficult ..l don't want to just drive motorways and l'm heading down towards ltaly .. so any advice will be appreciated.
:Doh:

Are you over or under 3500kg?

If you don't want to drive motorways, you don't need it, although they can be hard to avoid on some routes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DAVWOD

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Are you over or under 3500kg?

If you don't want to drive motorways, you don't need it, although they can be hard to avoid on some routes.

3.5 t unladen cmcardle75 .. but concerned it ain't flat in Switzerland. Want just a few days then heading towards Milan san Remo then back up through France..
Cheers

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the vignette cost us 30 Euros, you only need it if you intend to use motorways and includes all toll charges and tunnel charges so if you are going to Italy it will save you money. Have plenty of change as the charge you in Euros and give you change in Swiss francs, which you may find difficult to spend if you are only passing through. The terrain is like France roads excellent no problems that we encountered. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09

Agree, miserable buggers. When I last went it was on the bike, slapped vignette on screen and demanded money. No Ps and Qs. Miserable.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
What they said, and the vignette lasts 14 months if you buy it at the right time. December of the previous year until January of the following year, so 31st January 2015 for one bought now.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have been through twice and been forced to buy, no option to discuss not using motorways, and you only get the rest of the year, so buy in October and only have a few weeks for same money

But we also activated 2 cameras and heard nothing, possibly our weight triggered them, they flash red in your face, so overall a nett draw maybe

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
we have been through twice and been forced to buy, no option to discuss not using motorways, and you only get the rest of the year, so buy in October and only have a few weeks for same money

But we also activated 2 cameras and heard nothing, possibly our weight triggered them, they flash red in your face, so overall a nett draw maybe

Hi David

Did you use a go-box or just vignet.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread