Do I want a Cadac Safari Chef? (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have decided that for this year we will not tour with our Carri Chef, as it will not fit in any of our side lockers, only in the garage, which will be full of bikes and skis. Plus we will be staying on Aires in the main and an occasional longer stop on a site.

However, we love a good slow cooked roast joint or chicken and the Carri Chef was perfect for this, so thinking of getting the smaller Safari Chef. Has anyone got a better suggestion for a relatively light weight compact gas BBQ?

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We've tried quite a few different grills over the years including a larger Cadac and a Baby Weber, both were very good but we have now had a Safari Chef the past two years and can't really fault it. It's small and compact, easy and quick to set up and a doddle to clean up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so thinking of getting the smaller Safari Chef.

We've had the LP version for years and it really delivers, very flexible, great Wok, unless it's blowing a gale then it can't cope.

But "slow" cooking, never managed that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
But "slow" cooking, never managed that.
Just think Tagine - a few sacrificial onions and carrots under the meat. After searing the meat, turn the heat right down, chuck on the veg, meat on top, cover with foil, put the lid on and have faith. Water or beer in the moat to keep it moist. Only check a couple of times, don't turn the joint or chicken. Once cooked remove meat to rest and whatever onions are left leave on the pan, add stock and an oxo or chicken cube and make lovely gravy.

If there is room in the pan, roast spuds can be put on an hour before the end of the meat cooking time ( if you cut them the right size) and more chunky cut carrots or parsnips. I never par-boil the spuds because I am lazy but you could do.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
We have decided that for this year we will not tour with our Carri Chef, as it will not fit in any of our side lockers, only in the garage, which will be full of bikes and skis. Plus we will be staying on Aires in the main and an occasional longer stop on a site.

However, we love a good slow cooked roast joint or chicken and the Carri Chef was perfect for this, so thinking of getting the smaller Safari Chef. Has anyone got a better suggestion for a relatively light weight compact gas BBQ?

Awe............just get rid of the bikes and skis and concentrate on being unhealthy bastids like the rest of us.:LOL:(y)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp

We had the same problem a few years ago so bought a Safari chef. Even now we have a bigger van with more storage we still only use the Safari chef rather then the Carri chef which we use at home now. The Safari chef stays lit better in the in the wind as well.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ours doesn't like wind, especially when turned down to the lowest setting but I discovered I could make a very good windbreak using a folding chair laid on its side. Without this the flame gets blown out in anything more than a gentle breeze.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
i have been asking myself the same question. we have never cooked before whilst motorhoming but i think i have finally convinced hubby it would be a good idea to have one. is the safari chef the smallest one and does it have pizza stone etc?

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
i have been asking myself the same question. we have never cooked before whilst motorhoming but i think i have finally convinced hubby it would be a good idea to have one. is the safari chef the smallest one and does it have pizza stone etc?
You can get a pizza stone for them, some deals include the stone.

The lowest price I can find (not including the stone) is £69.00. I will post a few links as I am researching where to buy from.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
You can get a pizza stone for them, some deals include the stone.

The lowest price I can find (not including the stone) is £69.00. I will post a few links as I am researching where to buy from.

Thankyou, that would be great. As hubby hates traditional BBQ food it is a huge feat that i have managed to convince him to even consider one, but he keeps seeing peoples pics of cooked breakfasts and he is a sucker for a good fry up lol. im hoping as time goes on he will agree to try some other type meals once i start experimenting with it. I am trying to convince him that as a fussy eater (very!!) , he will find it difficult in France and Spain once we start touring in Europe and that having one of these at least means he can have good old english grub to fall back on.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just think Tagine - a few sacrificial onions and carrots under the meat. After searing the meat, turn the heat right down, chuck on the veg, meat on top, cover with foil, put the lid on and have faith.

Wow! That sounds good! I must try it. Think the 'having faith' bit may be the hardest part!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think this is the option I am going for. No pizza stone as I already have one, goodness knows where I got it!

Broken Link Removed

Here is the pizza stone option.
Broken Link Removed

The £69 ones I saw yesterday are from Germany but by the time the postage is on they are more or less priced the same.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I just use one or maybe two of the little campingaz stoves that run off the small bottle.

They are cheap, light and can do everything a Cadac can.

We also have a little windbreak that sits on the table which allows you to cook on low.

My wife cooks a wicked paella on it.(y)

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We love our Safari Chef!
Great for cooking a full English on and good for burgers and stir frys

We got the LP version and bought the adapter regulator to be able to use camping gas cans as well so we can also use it away from the MH

Only big enough to cook for two though

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Hoping to purchase 'Cadac Safari' - going to have a "Gaslow' system fitted in our new motorhome ( when it arrives)
Do I require a Safari LP or HP model ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hoping to purchase 'Cadac Safari' - going to have a "Gaslow' system fitted in our new motorhome ( when it arrives)
Do I require a Safari LP or HP model ?
LP version. Get a BBQ point installed and then everything is an absolute doddle

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Thanks for prompt reply - will flex my plastic and purchase
Yes having BBQ point installed - will be perfect for hubbie cooking my breakfast

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Plastic flexed - Purchased from Hamiltons Gas Products Ltd - best price

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've just bought a pizza stone from pro cook for £10, much cheaper than the cadac one but just as good.

Have you looked at the cobb bbq. Friends of ours have one and it's compact, light weight and you can roast, etc on it. It's a great bit of kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back