Do I realy need one of these? (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi fellow MH's
I'm thinking of going abroad next year and from another thread earlier in the year on MH'er said they take a EHU spliter with them just in case you need to share the EHU connection supply.
Doing a search onlne I found one as below.

Amazon product ASIN B001CDFI1A
as you can see this one has three connections on it, would it be sensible to take a three rather than at two splitter or not?
Many Thanks Tony

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Always handy to have in the locker. We use ours 3 or 4 times a year mostly at rallies but sometimes on tour.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello life member!!!
We've been abroad but never used a splitter , some of the joining together to get EHU has much to be desired and we don't use it if we have to share.plastic bags over joints doesn't hack it for me!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Always handy to have in the locker. We use ours 3 or 4 times a year mostly at rallies but sometimes on tour.
Hi There thanks for that do you have the two spliter or the three and if you are spliting from one connection does this not limit the amount of currant you can draw?
Many Thanks Tony

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We tour for around six months a year and have never required a splitter abroad.

And only once at a rally in UK.

Been touring in the motorhome for five seasons now.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We rarely use a hook up when touring and on the occasions we have decided to use leccy on an aire, there was no need for splitters.
But, I can see they are a good idea, if I were to buy one, I would go for the double and brush up on your foreign so you are confident asking if you can plug your splitter in to share the power with someone.

Remember, you could be drawing twice the current if you share with someone, the supply might not like that and keep tripping

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've had one several years and used it only once.
Chances are you can use someone else's, if needed, so I don't think they'e really necessary unless an EHU is essential for you. You'd still need to negotiate with someone to agree a split. Get in 'first' and you've not got a problem.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We've been going abroad in the van for four years now, and never needed an EHU splitter. In fact, some of the EHU posts have such a pitifully low output, it would be unwise to use one! On a site in Germany, the EHU was 6amps max!

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
wouldnt be without ours, although wouldn't do as we saw once about 8 vans into 1 post

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Two more points:
- EHU is often a charged for extra, so little chance on those occasions (although I have seen it).
- The rigid ones are not flexible(!) and don't fit very neatly. I'd get (or make) a pair of sockets wired to a single plug. At least you could re-use them for something else later. Would you really want to share a frugal supply with two others? Get them to use their own splitter. I have been on a 4A supply and have heard of some as low as 2A.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
As stated elsewhere after 7 months in France we never needed a splitter, but go for a 2 way, most EHU are quite low power.
Might be a good idea to have a second EHU cable too, you can sometimes be a long way from a power point!
If you've got solar panels, batteries and LED lights in the summer you shouldn't need EHU much.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
i have had mine for four years and only used it twice, but i think they are worthwhile if you really need a hook up,
I have more solar now so probably will leave it out of the tool box this year,

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always carry a splitter.. Which I made up from bits and bobs at a cost of about £3.00
Old EHU leads discarded and a visit to a boot sale for a nice little connector box makes for a decent job that is both flexible and useful
The solid splitters work ok of course, but having a couple of females and a male plug and sockets on short leads going to a waterproof junction box make it all very usable in all sorts of situations

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We don't have one and have never needed one but we don't need EHU and never assume we're going to get it when abroad.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
An additional (shorter) length of EHU cable would be more useful than a splitter. If you need a splitter, it could be more convenient part way along the reach rather than at the supply or your van.

Take an 18” length of 4” (orange plastic) drainage pipe to cover the connection. Half-hitch the wires together before connecting them up through the pipe and that will prevent it from being pulled through. The visible tube should deter someone from driving over it, which can happen.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi fellow MH's
I'm thinking of going abroad next year and from another thread earlier in the year on MH'er said they take a EHU spliter with them
Many Thanks Tony

We've survived 10 years without one. The amps available is more of a problem, if there are only 6A on offer you can't realistically split that in two.

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Similar here, year number 7 touring abroad, never seen the need for one, and anyway a lot of aires are on 6 amp.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never needed one ... we've been using aires/wild camping for the last 11 years (prior to that we only used sites or CLs often without electric though and tended to ONLY use it when we had to pay for it whether we wanted it or not!) and have never ever felt the need to have electric, never mind wanted to share it so I wouldn't say it is in any way an essential piece of kit especially as I believe you've got/are getting solar panels anyway.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Due to work we tend to be away in the winter , using mostly aires and have used our three way splitter many times. A little electric is better than none when the batteries are low.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Never had the need to use one. Ive got a small space in a drawer in the garage though so I think I'll get one ordered. Can never have enough might need it one day items can you.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have had a 3 way one one for years (6 years full timing) never needed it on a foreign site or Aire. That said I did use it in Spain to feed a coolbox in the awning but not as a shared supply with another van. I have used it to tap into a family supply where he was supplying his greenhouse. I used a 3 pin plug to the blue outlet lead, then the 3 way adapter, to which I connect the vans lead and an outlet to a UK 3 pin socket to which I plugged the greenhouse back in. I have always carried plenty of cables and plugs but have rarely needed to use multiple leads except in the UK in winter to be able to use a hard-standing area and feed from a site outlet on a grass pitch.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking about this a bit more, once in Germany due to flooding there was one hook up for two of us, all we did was plug a standard UK mains extension lead into the UK plug inside our fellow travellers MH. That got the batteries charged.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use ours quite a bit.. But then we also carry two full length HU leads as well
Even use one at the Thetford Bash to keep @Don Quixote fed with electrikery :)

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Depends how much you rely on an ehu we manage fine without so if theres no spare slot no big deal!
Agree entirely! On our last five-week trip to France we didn't have an EHU once and had no problem. So buying a splitter is not something we would consider.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We carry one, it's rarely used/shared but handy to have nonetheless.
We find it most useful if staying on-site for a week or more, splitting our own ehu to provide power in the awning (normally for 240v freezer)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back