Do I really need the desktop? (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We are in the throw of moving and looking at the desktop thinking do I really need it as it's alway occupied by Irina and takes up loads of space and hate all the leads.

I have my laptop so if I bought her one with the new all in one printer we have do i really need the desktop?

The desktop memory is full 40 gigs and in need of help anyway.

Advice as to why I need to keep the desktop?

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
laptop for general stuff, desktop for secure transactions... less likely to be stolen than a laptop...

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

A dilemma we have been considering John. We have a laptop and a desktop like yourselves. I absolutely hammer a machine when I am working. Often I am using Photoshop working on one image and printing another to the printer. At the same time I am connected to the internet and often have a number of sites open.

I have a reasonable laptop and the desktop is of a similar spec. When this is the case the desktop will win every time as they operate faster. It also nice having the larger screen although of course you could plug this into the laptop and even have a seperate keyboard so they laptop is in essence a desktop.

We set the desktop up yesterday and you are right - cables everywhere. We ahve decided a second laptop is the way to go. Our current one is an asus and we are looking at another one of those. Mind you Asus also do a mini desktop with quad speed, high end graphics, 4 gig of ram for under £500 so we are still thinking

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have been in the position of having no desktop for the last 5 years. About 6 months ago I bought Steph a laptop as well as my own machie. I recently decided it was time to upgradeand having looked at the options came to this conclusion. To get a new laptop of the same spec as my old one would have cost me £2500 :Eeek:
I bought a desktop which has a much higher spec for £1000. (HP Pavillion Elite m9180 uk-a) this included a LG 22" flatron monitor which is better for editing photos than a laptop.A lot depends on what you use it for, my intention is to get into the depths of photoshop CS3 which needs power a good CPU and plenty of RAM. Also the desktop has 3 500gb hard drives 2 internal and one external which slots into a drive bay. All in all the desktop exceeds my expectations. BUT and it's a big but if you are using the pooter for internet access and the odd letter and photo then a mid range laptop is great about £400-£500. Personally I would avoid the bottom end £200-£300 machines. Hope this helps you decide John. ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A few years ago I went the route of laptop only but subsequently went back to a desktop for every day use and laptop whilst away for two main reasons.

1) I found the laptop screen tended to give me more eye strain than a desktop monitor. I know I could have used an external monitor but that would have been extra cables etc.
2) I found that it was a pain to keep the battery charged appropriately - removing it and using mains power/charging and then discharging fully before recharging etc. I ended up with a dead battery.

Graham

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi John,

As everyone else said depends what you use it for. I have a desktop & Dawn has a lappy.
With the desktop you can upgrade the spec easier & cheaper than a lappy, I use Photoshop CS3 all the time & prefer the desktop for that, plus the larger screen for working on graphics, Dawn uses the lappy for E-Mail, Surfing & working on the website & has no problems.
Only downside to the desktop is its a perment fixture with spaghetti junction behind it ::bigsmile:
At the end of the day, each to their own :thumb:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Laptop or desktop

Hi John.
I went onto laptops in 1999 and have not needed to concider a desktop since.
I have just purchased a high spec Sony using vista, this do's every thing I need.
Plus you can take it with you werever you may 'wander' I could not do with all the wirer work now. But it is horses for courses. :Smile:
Pudseykeith
PS- Plus you can use it in any room in your home, the garden, and for a bit of peace, use it in the MH

Last edited:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
quite agree with you Pudsey. got my lappy about 5 yrs ago and with my 3g i can go anywhere:thumb:. just trying to convince myself to upgrade:RollEyes:. Nevr go back to deswk top, take up too much room in my van:ROFLMAO:

phinbo

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
Funster No
Hi John,
I would stick with a desktop, for all the reasons everyone else quoted, also they are a bit mor robust. I just bought a new desktop 2 weeks ago from a local firm, 3000rpm, which has quite a good spec for the money, it is a Dell Inspiron, so miht be worht a look. Happy computing!
regards
phinbo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back