Do I need water tank heaters? (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all

We have a 2013 model Autoquest 115 and had been thinking of trading it in for a later model but have decided that we will keep it - the newer 115’s have nothing really different to what our van had as standard or we have had fitted ourselves (solar, cruise control, outside shower)…EXCEPT the newer 115's have water tank heaters..

We haven’t really used the van over winter and when we have generally keep the tanks empty as we are on EHU on sites. This is okay except we are planning for next year and are thinking of going away over Christmas/new year up around the north coast of Scotland and wildcamping.

This will mean that we will have to have water in the tanks for showering, toilet and washing (we carry drinking water separately)

I have seen a place that sells tank heated blankets (https://www.tankblanket.co.uk) and am thinking that I might get some to install as a summer project!

Has anyone retro-fitted these or normal tank heaters, is it worth it, or am I just being over cautious and should I just fill the tanks, and get on with wild camping!

Any advice/help appreciated….
Richard

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is your fresh water tank inside or outside?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had them on an AT Tracker admittedly never did a lot of very cold weather but travel down through France in December, never used them at all and I think you need to be on hook up to use them as they use quite a lot of power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I think you need to be on hook up to use them as they use quite a lot of power.
They will work on battery and also when the van is moving - we have 4 x 110a leisure batteries so power isn't to much of an issue as we will be moving for them to recharge every day or two...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A couple of tanks and some pipelines could be taking 15 amps, I wouldn’t.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Best option is to build insulated boxes around the tanks and take a feed from the blow air heating into the box. That's what the German manufacturers do when they fit underslung tanks.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi RichardB
I had a New Autosleeper Warwick with outside tanks. Soon as I purchased it I fitted myself a small internal 12v heater as close as possible to the pump suction/tank outlet. I also lagged as much exposed piping with central heating pipe lagging. The grey waste I just left open with a bucket under the outlet. We went to Europe several times for the Christmas Markets and also winter camping off EH and never had a problem with freezing water.
I did consider the heater tank blankets but my dealer found they came unstuck after a while rendering them useless.
Colin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back