Do I need to prebook sites in Black Forest in August? (1 Viewer)

Banjoblue

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Hi folks.

Taking MH to the Black Forest in August. Will probably pre book a site for first couple of days but will I need to do that afterwards? Can I rely on finding a pitch on stellplatz and other sites or are they going to be really busy?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No, you should be ok just booking them. ?

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
In my, limited, experience you should be ok just turning up but perhaps other, more experienced, folks can confirm.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed at Belchenblick, Staufen for ten days during September 2018 , we did book ahead as two vans so wanted surety.
When checking in we were given a free transport pass for trains and buses throughout the Black Forest region, a beautiful place.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We spent September in the Black Forest and Bavaria a few years ago and did find the campsites busy and some full, Freiburg for example. It's a beautiful area and well worth a visit but if you have specific places you want to visit i would either book ahead or turn up early.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Certainly if youre thinking of Rhine on Fire nights then it would be imperative to book, other well attended places would need booking but normally good to stop with normal provisos of turning up at a reasonable time.

JohnT UK

Free Member
Mar 1, 2015
FoD
Funster No
MH
Elddis 165
Exp
since 2014
Was in the black forest last year in July. stell platz were available if you were early ( Schluchsee area ). Freiburg im Breisgau campsite was ok short walk into town, you do need the Umwelt sticker to enter. Dependant on the weather watch out for ticks we were pulling 20 plus nymphs a day off of each of our 2 dogs.
The whole forest was infested - speaking with some locals they had never known it so bad so maybe we were just unlucky.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Was in the black forest last year in July. stell platz were available if you were early ( Schluchsee area ). Freiburg im Breisgau campsite was ok short walk into town, you do need the Umwelt sticker to enter. Dependant on the weather watch out for ticks we were pulling 20 plus nymphs a day off of each of our 2 dogs.
The whole forest was infested - speaking with some locals they had never known it so bad so maybe we were just unlucky.
Timely reminder
A lot of Europe Tick-borne encephalitis can be an issue (different thing from Limes disease)
You can get vaccinated but not on NHS but can be arranged at chemists
Three jabs to get the three years protection
We are due to get a booster

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Timely reminder
A lot of Europe Tick-borne encephalitis can be an issue (different thing from Limes disease)
You can get vaccinated but not on NHS but can be arranged at chemists
Three jabs to get the three years protection
We are due to get a booster

We didn’t book ahead last August in Germany and always found somewhere. We are due out 3rd TBE vaccine this spring.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Another up-vote for Belchenblick https://www.camping-belchenblick.de/. However, we were there in late Aug 2018 and it was chocker. I was very glad we booked as a Dutch latecomer caravan was squeezed onto a patch of scrub barely big enough for my barbecue.

Last year we stayed at Kirchzaten https://www.camping-kirchzarten.de/ also in late Aug. It's a big site and although busy, still had a few spaces. Incidentally, the pool next door is the best I've ever seen. The circular swimming trainer thingy is just the most fun you can have in water. Ablutions are 10/10 and they are incredibly friendly. campsite of choice if we travel back from the Adriatic through the Black Forest.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Another up-vote for Belchenblick https://www.camping-belchenblick.de/. However, we were there in late Aug 2018 and it was chocker. I was very glad we booked as a Dutch latecomer caravan was squeezed onto a patch of scrub barely big enough for my barbecue.

Last year we stayed at Kirchzaten https://www.camping-kirchzarten.de/ also in late Aug. It's a big site and although busy, still had a few spaces. Incidentally, the pool next door is the best I've ever seen. The circular swimming trainer thingy is just the most fun you can have in water. Ablutions are 10/10 and they are incredibly friendly. campsite of choice if we travel back from the Adriatic through the Black Forest.

Enjoyed the little bar at camping Belchenblick and the old lady that came out of her front room to serve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back