LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
The van we have ordered has Remis blinds around the cab. We have seen a lot of M/H with the Taylor made silver screens on the outside, Mrs T is not over keen on them so with the Remis blinds inside do we need the silver one outside as well?

Thanks

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Apologies for the highjack, but it is on the same lines. Is paragon a type of, or make of windscreen cover. I've heard of Silverscreens and Taylor Made, but not paragon. Is £169 the right price for a Ducato 2015 from Silverscreen? - Remember I'm a newbie and there is no such thing as a stupid question!!:D

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Paragon make Silverscreens
However the term silver screens has become generic so often taylor mades are referred to as silver screens

EDIT Silverscreens make "Paragon" silver screens :LOL:
Broken Link Removed

Ducatos etc
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/Multijet page.html

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Got it. Many thanks. Apologies again for the highjack. The Price of £169 good, just for cover and £30 for no see me blind?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
Maz and I have also found Silverscreens to be essential, both summer and winter, for all the reasons given above.(y)

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I've noticed this before. Those who use these screens get very defensive about them. :)

I suppose that we must be lucky that our MH doesn't need them.

KH

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
One important point to note when ordering is regardless of year make sure you order to suit your Remis Blinds as early ones and todays are a different depth. This is detailed on their website.
CA_05161422581229-X2.jpg

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've noticed this before. Those who use these screens get very defensive about them. :)

KH
I don't think anyone is being defensive about them, we've just discovered they can be very useful in some circumstances. I've found in southern Spain for example, they make the front of the vehicle significantly cooler compared to just using our internal blinds. If that doesn't bother you because you are cool enough where you are sitting and sleeping then you don't need an external screen.

I'm on a Murvi rally at the moment in damp Gloucestershire. A few have fitted their screens but most haven't. It isn't particularly cold at night at the moment but we are off to Wales for the weekend and the maximum temperatures forecast for Saturday are 4C - so I think I will be shaking out my external screen by then! :)

OI000017~2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Skiing and -20° essential - not for condensation but for insulation! These vans have massive windows
Equally, hot and 25° keeps things cool
however if you are staying uk only a night at a time here and there probably not worth it

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We park up on sites and have seen others get out the screens and put them on as soon as they park up. They are then left on for the duration night and day. SWMBO and I always think how dark it must be inside their vans. We have seen external screens used in hot weather and cold weather.

We enjoy the light, the views and the people watching and can not understand why so many motorhomers seem to prefer sitting inside their dark 'caves'. We have speculated that they are all people who live in cities and who have net curtains at home and are obsessed with privacy. This seemed particularly prevalent over in France. Perhaps they are symbolically pulling their shutters closed as they do on their houses. It also strikes us as a signal that the occupants want to keep themselves to themselves!

KH

Wow - a fair number of speculations/assumptions in your post KH. :wub: Or maybe it's more of a :reel: trip?

I'm not going to defend my choice to use silver screens - because I don't need to. However, after fulltiming in my van for over 4 years, I can say that I would much rather be with them than without them. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Another vote for, especially if you travel with a dog. Whilst here in Spain we can keep our van at a comfortable 24-26°c with a combination of external screens and the Fantastic Fan. We know we can go out on a morning bike ride for 2 or 3 hours and the dog will be comfortable. We just could not keep the van cool enough with out the screens.

Equally, when we go skiing the screens will be on and staying on for the duration, I have even made some extra internal ones for the side windows. Easy to take down during the day but make such a difference to the warmth of the van during the evening.

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

KH

I am beginning to concur.....

Tho I must admit.... I'd seriously considered having some made to measure screen covers...... after reading those that support them...

However, My experience so far is.... I have yet to suffer from condensation... after lots of nights in all weathers... insofar as I was in Keswick a week or so ago with my three teenage lads.. ( all sleeping on the drop-down at the front)... in the damp and rain... (and after steaming veg etc for tea).... and not once did we have any condensation on the large A class screen.... whereas as I walked to the "Block"on many a morning .... there were lots that where well and truly steamed up... all types too!... Which puzzled me!

My only conclusion is - night-time ventilation... Both myself and the lads like some fresh air.. and leave roof-lights cracked open when sleeping .. :)

Although.... I do think that in sub-zero temperatures they certainly would make a difference to heating costs... and likewise... extreme summer heat :)....

So I'll stay sat on the fence until I meet those two conditions :)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think the correct answer is actually: No you don't NEED them, but they are highly desirable! :D
We don't actually have any, but I can see they would be very useful in extremes of weather.

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
We use external screens but still get internal condensation when its cold

Upvote 0

GEOMAR

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Yes they are great for stopping condesation
GEOMAR

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have a set of external screens which we have only ever used if it is very cold, in which case we have them on overnight or if it is very hot. We can pull the front down or off leaving a perforated screen.
This summer at the Maverick Festival I clipped the central section of the screen on to a side window to keep the sun out and have now decided to make my own side window screens from off-the-shelf car sun screens so they will fit nicely and we can have the window open with the screen still in place. The window is quite large and opens up and out.

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Only a few minutes to fit if you do it right
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/Fitting Video.html

I looked at you video Andy and it reminded me of a problem I had this year with the way those screens fix. Its when we put the wipers over them and velcro to the wiper..

I put the cover on our van. Did it exactly as in the video.

On our van a 2013 Autosleeper the only way to get the gauge to show its contents is to actually start the engine. Full ignition does not do it !

Dopey here turned the key and started the engine and away went the flaming wipers. I must knocked the wiper switch ! Result was a snapped off wiper. It snapped where the clip fixes to the wiper arm. Not funny as we were in France at the time.

Worth remembering folk as it might save a load of hassle !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back