Do I need an alarm system (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
My first post on here so pls forgive me if this has been asked before .

Am taking delivery of my first ever MH this Saturday and although the 2008 Autotrail Cheyanne is fitted wih a smart tracker and Fiat immobiliser it does not have an alarm system .
As far as can see the cost of a system is circa £550 so am wondering how important it is to have an all singing and dancing system .

Seems to me that the majority of MH have them fitted or am I being paranoid ?

If the vote is to put one on is there a nationwide fitting service that I can use or will the local car alarm fitter be OK to use on a MH ?

Thanks in advance

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi wp1234 if it has a tracker and immobiliser fitted I would not bother,be sure to tell your insurers about the tracker it should reduce your premium
terry
BTW WELCOME

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Well, if they are able to overcome the immobiliser they'll get caught because of the tracker but remember how much valuables will be in the van when you're on holiday and do you want to come back to a van that's been trashed inside? :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi and WELCOME

I personally would have an alarm fitted, had ours fitted by dealer.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Alarm systems are of little value when you are no where near the van.. I would spend the money on decent deadlocks for the cab and habitation doors..

and for night time peace of mind, fit a hab door alarm.. about a fiver each .. available from the likes of Maplins, these are cheap but very effective.. can also be fitted to vulnerable windows.

for example ...

Link Removed

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, with all your existing security you really only need to disuade the opportunist thief. I fitted a wireless diy alarm to our van, covering the interior with a pir and doors with a contact.
Its now very obvious the van is alarmed plus stickers on glass, so hopefully it will seem too much bother .
Cost very modest compared to dealer fit.
Plus I fitted extra door locks, again very visible deterrent.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

With the security that you already have I woudnt bother. Perhaps buy a local alarm for doors etc.

The only reason that I have one is because it was an insurance company requirement.

I was going to use the word prerequisite there :Eeek: but thought about the grammar and spelling police and discarded the idea. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Jim
:Smile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Definately have an alarm system, every little helps as they say. Mine has a facility to alarm the van but allow us to leave an animal inside or us move about inside when enabled. If any door or locker is opened when set the alarm sounds, how many posts have you read where someone is asleep in their van and get robbed and know nothing about it till they wake next day, well if any one entered my van with alarm set all hell would sound and I sure would wake up.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm also in favour of an alarm.

Ours is fitted with quite a sophisticated system - all the doors and windows are alarmed, including the garage, gas locker and Thetford hatch. Theres a lot of 'value' kept in the outside lockers, and we actually had a casette stolen from our last van:Eeek:

There is a setting which disables the internal sensors, so that we can sleep and move about the van, with all the external doors locked - great if you are wild camping, or on some of the 'less salubrious' Aires in france and spain. It also arms the alarm, and disables the engine if the doors aren't locked after about 10 minutes.

We also have deadlocks fitted.

The complete system was supplied and fitted by Brownhills.

As far as a 'tracker' is concerned, we have an old mobile fitted 'secretly' and hard wired to a12v charger. This means that the van can be tracked within the UK, whilst not as accurately as a purpose built tracker, it can be tracked to an individual cell, costs nothing, and there is no annual service charge. I ring it every so often, just to make sure that it is still working.:roflmto:

Mick H

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Near Leicester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 yrs
I only had an alarm professionaly fitted because the insurers wouldn't insure it without, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered with one.
Please be aware that most trackers can be blocked, so they are NOT as good as people think! Also, most have a very high cost.

Mick H.

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Definately have an alarm system, every little helps as they say. Mine has a facility to alarm the van but allow us to leave an animal inside or us move about inside when enabled. If any door or locker is opened when set the alarm sounds, how many posts have you read where someone is asleep in their van and get robbed

Hi Vindiboy - thanks for that I think im convinced to fit one if only for peace of mind ... can you tell me if you had yours retrofitted and am I right thinking its around £500

0zzy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2009
sherborne
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 months
what alarm

dont bother with a alarm
when they go off nobody takes any notice.
if someone wants to get in they will. also by the time you alarm goes off the thief has already broken your window/door. making it a insurance job anyway.
we have just a tracking device and the burstner factory fitted imobilizer in our 747-2:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They are if you are parked where there are passers by,i.e. parked in a town ,supermarket etc.:thumb:

sorry derek but i have to disagree.

alarms go off on a regular basis...usually false alarms, so no-one takes a blind bit of notice these days. maybe a qiuck glance and walk on.

try it !!!!

next time you're in a supermarket carpark, sit in the car/van and press the alarm fob panic button.
see how many people come and ask what you're doing...

NONE ! :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I only had an alarm professionaly fitted because the insurers wouldn't insure it without, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered with one.
Please be aware that most trackers can be blocked, so they are NOT as good as people think! Also, most have a very high cost.

Mick H.

before a tracker signal can be blocked (if it can) the thief would need to scan the tracker for the transmitter frequency then set the blocker to that frequency.

how many 'T' leaves are going to spend loads of money on a scanner/blocker, spend a while scanning, while the tracker has been activated, and then drive off knowing the police have been alerted anyway.

PS....i would have gone elsewhere for insurance if mine insisted on a tracker.

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User

Mick H.

Tell me how to block it so I can do it on my works van .:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
as it'll be GPS based just drive in tunnels ALLthe time....job sorted. :ROFLMAO:

Yes but they will know when and where I go in and come out , on the other hand ain't got many tunnels down here. Could cover the ariel in lead or foil , but don't think i would get away with it .Sackable offence . :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes but they will know when and where I go in and come out , on the other hand ain't got many tunnels down here. Could cover the ariel in lead or foil , but don't think i would get away with it .Sackable offence . :thumb:

Hey!!!!
who said anything about coming out ? :ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I know a chap who has an alarm fitted although he never has it turned on. When the wind blows the alarm goes and so does his battery.

Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My first post on here so pls forgive me if this has been asked before .

Am taking delivery of my first ever MH this Saturday and although the 2008 Autotrail Cheyanne is fitted wih a smart tracker and Fiat immobiliser it does not have an alarm system .
As far as can see the cost of a system is circa £550 so am wondering how important it is to have an all singing and dancing system .

Seems to me that the majority of MH have them fitted or am I being paranoid ?

If the vote is to put one on is there a nationwide fitting service that I can use or will the local car alarm fitter be OK to use on a MH ?

Thanks in advance

Hi wp1234

Welcome to Motorhomefun. Thanks for posting
:thumb:If you are ever going to leave your motorhome in a public place, even for a moment, then you should consider getting an alarm fitted. By public place I include your driveway at home, the supermarket car park and the service station forecourt. This is only my opinion. I know full timers that do not have an alarm and do not feel the need for them

If you do decide on an alarm, at the very least you should choose an alarm system that will immobilise the motorhome and sound an alarm if anyone tries to gain illegal entry to it. If your budget runs to it, a good alarm addition will allow you to protect individual lockers and secure the bikes on your bike rack as well. The best alarms will also be able to protect the interior whilst you sleep.

The ability to sleep in your motorhome with the alarm turned on is one of the best reasons for having an alarm. The best systems allow this by shutting down the internal sensors so you can get up to use the toilet or make a pot of tea without the alarm being activated, whilst all the time the immobiliser is set and the perimeter of the motorhome such as doors, windows and lockers are protected and will activate should anyone try to break-in. This facility is even more useful if you have a pet as you can alarm the system and not worry about the pet activating the alarm whilst you shop or pay for fuel at a service station. The benefits of this system when wild-camping are obvious and plenty of wild-campers would not dream of parking up without having their system set to “exterior only.”

You can read a lot more about Motorhome security in the Motorhome Security Handbook. The link is in my signature::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi WP1234 I think the question should now read DO I WANT ONE :ROFLMAO: you already have a Tracker and immobiliser so any cheapo alarm will do :Eeek: What are the odds on you getting a all singing and dancing alarm as well ? Pretty high I think :ROFLMAO: The only reason I fitted a cat 1 alarm/immobiliser was because it did not have one
terry

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I know a chap who has an alarm fitted although he never has it turned on. When the wind blows the alarm goes and so does his battery.

Jim

I had a car with the same problem ( I think the neighbours were getting a bit fed up with it).
I got the sensitivity changed and it was fine after that.
If an alarm is fitted, it may as well be used.

S.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I had a car with the same problem ( I think the neighbours were getting a bit fed up with it).
I got the sensitivity changed and it was fine after that.
If an alarm is fitted, it may as well be used.

S.

Hi Sue

I didnt know that they had a sensitivity changer thingy. I must get this fella to read the handbook/instructions

Jim
:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back