Do I Need a VISA to Travel to USA? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Hi guys

Angie and I are going the Philadelphia in September and I just wondered if we require VISAs? We're going for 5 days on a business trip.

If we do require VISAs, what is the best way to get them?

Cheers

John

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

Yes you do. You can do it on line & that's the preferred method.

US Customs are not the most helpful & co-operative of organisations - so I would advise that you are sorted well before you go.

Regards

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Check Broken Link Removed. You may not need one if you qualify under the Visa Waver Program(me). :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I believe its led to the type of passport you have. I understand that the newer editions do not require a visa,but I wait to be corrected,may be best to contact the Foreign office
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

"The US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) allows most British Citizen passport holders to visit the US for up to 90 days without a visa. If you’re arriving by air or sea, you must get an authorisation via the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) before you travel."

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We went to New York last year and had to pre-purchase an ESTA. Details are here: -

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We go to USA quite a lot. A couple of things to add to the above.

If you are a British Citizen you do not need a visa but you do need to register and pay for an ESTA online. Make sure that you go direct to the correct website as agents operate and charge you for it. There is a fee and I think from memory either USD 14 or 15 and the ESTA is valid for 2 years.

You must put the address of the first place you stay each time you go, so have this handy. Payment is online and very easy. Make a note of the very long authorisation number when you get it. Usually takes only seconds for approval

You must have a machine readable passport - look at the strip of numbers and >>>>>>>>>>> at the bottom. If you have that then ok.

USA border protection has zero sense of humour. Don't joke with them.

There is no landing card to complete because the ESTA is exactly that, but you will have a customs form, one for each family. Make sure that you put your allowed duty free on this or you risk confiscation.

The whole process is much easier now than before. Have a good trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The customs official we encountered in Seattle in June on our way to Fairbanks was the most miserable person I've ever seen, I think that they have to ungergo a personality removal before they can qualify, miserable grumpy sod! :swear:
In comparison the same official in Fairbanks was helpful, cheerful and wished us a good vacation, he made our day.!! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back