Do i need a regulator to run external bbq (1 Viewer)

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all,

We used our new Cadac Safari Chef 2 on the external BBQ point last week and it burnt out the gas burner on the Cadac. After 15 minutes the gas burner had completely separated from the rest of the Cadac.

Looked on internet and others have had the same issue, it appears that the burner is kept in place with a plastic joint.

Im wondering if i need a separate regulator as the external BBQ pipework seems to tee off without going through the regulator in the gas cupboard. Im trying to determine whether my current setup caused the problem is lack of regulator or the issue is the plastic joint on the Cadac?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-211518838.jpg
    tmp-cam-211518838.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 129
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If your BBQ point is connected between the bottles and the regulator then yes that's what's caused the problem and yes you do need a separate regulator for anything you connect to it.

IMO the BBQ point is not installed correctly and if it was me I'd be changing it to the right side of the regulator.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
It looks ok to me. It looks like the Tee is after the regulator and the pipework goes up over the top of the regulator to the external point. The yellow on / off tap is after the inlet pipe and this is before the Tee piece.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My external BBQ point is downstream of the regulator as it should be.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It looks ok to me. It looks like the Tee is after the regulator and the pipework goes up over the top of the regulator to the external point. The yellow on / off tap is after the inlet pipe and this is before the Tee piece.

It's hard to tell for sure from the picture but something doesn't look quite right to me. Also OP already thinks it's before the regulator.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
It's hard to tell for sure from the picture but something doesn't look quite right to me. Also OP already thinks it's before the regulator.
@Cardeau could we have a picture from a different angle? I am sure the tee off is after the on / off switch, but better to be safe than sorry.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it's running of the T piece it looks right to me as its downstream of the regulator, you can see the arrow! Should the Cadac have a different pressure to the standard regulator?

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you were running on unregulated gas you would have a lovely suntan off the meter plus high flame from the Cadac.
Bottle pressure is in the tens of BAR range....after the reg its MILLIBAR.

I suspect the plastic joint between body and burner was badly leaking , maybe not even tightened, and simply on fire and melted to nothing....you wouldnt see it in use.
From memory Haganap had his Cadac flame adjuster tap set on fire due to a leak.
Quality control is no guarantee until they test EVERY ONE.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The BBQ point is definitely after the regulator, so no, you don't need a second regulator..

as suggested by @pappajohn , a fault with Cadac , have it looked at by the supplier or dealer.. it's under warranty

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi all,

We used our new Cadac Safari Chef 2 on the external BBQ point last week and it burnt out the gas burner on the Cadac. After 15 minutes the gas burner had completely separated from the rest of the Cadac.

Looked on internet and others have had the same issue, it appears that the burner is kept in place with a plastic joint.

Im wondering if i need a separate regulator as the external BBQ pipework seems to tee off without going through the regulator in the gas cupboard. Im trying to determine whether my current setup caused the problem is lack of regulator or the issue is the plastic joint on the Cadac?

Thanks in advance.

Same happened to my Cadac, spoke to them and they sent another burner out foc, mine happened when it windy due to the flame being blown back down the alloy pipe melting the plastic locking nut
I used the Cadac with its own bottle with a regulator fitted, never happened since because j dont use it if any wind

OP
OP
C
Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all your help. Have spoken to the Cadac supplier and they will now replace the faulty part. His first reply was to question my external BBQ setup hence my original question. It's been confirmed by a Moho engineer that my external BBQ installation is 'perfecto'. (I'm at Bonterra Park in Benicassim and he had a quick look at it whilst working on another British van)

Apparently issues with the plastic connector are well known. Cadac have not admitted any design fault but seem to offer free of charge replacement as a 'goodwill' gesture!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back