Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
... Carry the jack and tools for wheel changing in a motorhome?. I have no intention to attempt a wheel change I would always call Aa or equivalent.
Dave

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fiat jack is useless, but the kit includes the towing eye and spare wheel lowering tool if fitted so you need to carry those

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Ah it is a fiat I have got. I think that I will just carry those and leave the rest at home. Just need to identify the lowering tool. Luckily my next job is to look through the handbook.

Any other views out there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Some breakdown companies insist you have the tools to change a wheel otherwise you are not covered, look in the small print. If your vehicle does not come with a spare from new, then this does not apply.
Thats interesting, do you know which ones off hand. I wouldn't want to come unstuck and am just thinking of renewing.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Not sure without going through our paperwork. We have breakdown cover included in our insurance with Safeguard, plus we have breakdown cover included with our Nationwide Flex Plus account and then on top of that we are also covered with ADAC.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Silly question maybe......but have you checked your spare wheel i.e.size,pressure. It has been known for the wrong size wheel to be found onboard.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Some breakdown companies insist you have the tools to change a wheel otherwise you are not covered, look in the small print. If your vehicle does not come with a spare from new, then this does not apply.

Really?
Does anyone actually have a link to any such contract term?
I have never seen that on the small print of any aa/rac/green flag cover that I ever had in the UK.

All the recovery guys carry their own, much more robust, hydraulic jacks and wheelbrace etc tools anyway.

I've never ever seen one using the made-of-cheese stuff that a car or van comes with instead of their own trusted professional-duty kit.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The only time (up to now :worried:) I've needed a wheel changing - except for full tyre changes of course - the guy asked to use the vehicle jack and tools, managed very well.

BUT it was in Morocco and he had arrived on a moped. And, I kid you not, he took the wheel away to be repaired on the moped - wish I'd had the camera handy.:cycle:

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
Son's friend is mobile tyre fitter and works under contract to a couple of the well known breakdown providers, he has recently commented on the number of people who have vehicles without space saver or spare wheels, and no idea where the locking wheel nut socket is, with someone even admitting to having removed it from vehicle as it was just rolling around the glove box, resulting in an expensive suspended tow recovery.
He will only ever use his own equipment for insurance liability and safety reasons.

Deleted User
the fiat jack is useless, but the kit includes the towing eye and spare wheel lowering tool if fitted so you need to carry those

I found the fiat scissor jack very good, locates securely, does not need massive effort to lift, not as stable as a trolley jack but as good as the 8 ton hydraulic jack that I also carry.

Wouldn't like to undo the wheel nuts with the supplied equipment though.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I've just had a wade through the entire current Terms and Conditions contract pdf document from the RAC.

No mention at all of any requirement to have wheel-changing tools on board in order to validate a "change my wheel" flat tyre breakdown request, either within the UK or elsewhere in mainland Europe.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in spain there was rules about carrying a spare and all tools etc to allow wheel changing . not sure if its still the rule but it was on the 08v-74 paper work a few years ago. part 5 equipment .
might be worth a look.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have ditched the Fiat jack and carry a 6 tonne bottle jack and tools, a jack can be used not just for wheel changes but if you get stuck in the mud etc somewhere remote you may be able to 'jack' yourself out of trouble, worth carrying one IMV.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When I was coach driving, we used to carry a jack but not a wheelbrace, weren't allowed to change wheels ourselves. So what was the jack for? Well if you managed to run someone over, you could jack up the bus to get them out....................:eek:

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I found the fiat scissor jack very good, locates securely, does not need massive effort to lift, not as stable as a trolley jack but as good as the 8 ton hydraulic jack that I also carry.

Wouldn't like to undo the wheel nuts with the supplied equipment though.
Agreed. Got home from picking up new van and found I had a screw in the fos tyre. Jack worked perfectly. Used an extended wheel brace to get wheel nuts off. No probs. Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back