Do I have grounds for rejection (1 Viewer)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
A 6 speed manual and it the latest 140bhp engine

good point .
Anyway I’m having a meeting with dealer on Thursday so watch this space
We agreed with our dealer here to use our van for the winter with an agreed mileage and exchange price so they might be open to that

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No we haven’t gone off the van we really like it but it’s just the very possibility that it could be absolutely months before it’s fixed
I just think it’s unreasonable to have to wait even longer when we could have had something else by now .
The wife is in tears after months of waiting as we’ve already cancelled two trips away and we’re supposed to be going to Spain at the end of this month .
Which won’t happen now .
How about asking the Dealer for a 'Loan' Vehicle from their stock whilst you wait that way you can still go on holliday and they keep you as a customer and you will still have your new MoHo (which I am assuming you took a lot of deliberating over)

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
How about asking the Dealer for a 'Loan' Vehicle from their stock whilst you wait that way you can still go on holliday and they keep you as a customer and you will still have your new MoHo (which I am assuming you took a lot of deliberating over)
We still have our existing vehicle although it’s totally empty and cleaned ready to exchange and we don’t really want to use it although I think we may have to
It’s also past it’s Habitation check date which should have been done at the beginning of July
But we should have had the new Motorhome back in June so it’s the dealers problem

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Trouble is that you may be biting your own nose off.

How long would it be for you to get another one? My guess would be a lot longer than getting the repair done. Annoying I know but I would try to get some compensation for inconvenience from the dealer in cash or additional goodies fitted and then wait for the repair
My view is there will be another one popping up anytime soon. Reject vehicle if not fixed within 30 days and move on otherwise potentially months of frustration.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We still have our existing vehicle although it’s totally empty and cleaned ready to exchange and we don’t really want to use it although I think we may have to
It’s also past it’s Habitation check date which should have been done at the beginning of July
But we should have had the new Motorhome back in June so it’s the dealers problem
Yup you are correct it is the dealers problem and have empathy for you and your wife as it os very frustrating and some what Stress full, as I say if it means going on holliday or missing out hopefully the dealer will allow you to keep your MoHo until your new/repaired one is ready

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If they try to fob you off, think about this.

If the owner had bought this for one of his family to go away in, would he have to wait as long as you?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Yup you are correct it is the dealers problem and have empathy for you and your wife as it os very frustrating and some what Stress full, as I say if it means going on holliday or missing out hopefully the dealer will allow you to keep your MoHo until your new/repaired one is ready
why can the dealer not do a quick had check for you they are going to have to do it to sell it and if you are going to reject it the hab check is your responsibility and sit at home or do a bit of cleaning there no competition and I don't do cleaning :rofl:

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Once the gearbox is sorted it will be brand new and should be fine, if you still have your van carry on using it and enjoy the summer do NOT hand it over until you are happy with the new van.

If you really really want the van give them chance to put it right . If you are having second thoughts (not just because of the gearbox) reject it and get out and about in the tried and tested vehicle (why were you changing it)

sounds like you have gone off the van so if you can find an optout go for it
Absolutely spot on nannie if its the van you want you will put up with abit of a wait crap happens now and again and you have to be a realist and accept it now and again

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Is this the dealer that has just recently taken on the franchise? Nr Plas Madoc? We recently went to look at the 650 a class but decided less room than Mh we’ve got.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
FYI: We rejected our brand new 2020 Swift @ 6 months old due to a low pressure oil pump failure which Fiat could not source at the time anywhere in Europe or the UK so that was there one attempt to fix and failed and through no fault of theres so we rejected it with our supplying dealer under the Sale of Goods act, we now have a brand new 2021 Rapido, a happy ending eventually :giggle:

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I would get my guidance from the right people, therefore the legal profession who deal in consumer law.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Ok here go's I'll try and keep it short .
We reserved a new Pilote A -class back in 15/5/21 and paid a deposit now DVLA eventually registered it 1/6/21 although we didn't receive the V5 until 24/6/21
We asked for a Thule canopy to fitted which only arrived last week due to it being on back order in the meantime the dealer noticed a noise from the transmission
they took it to Motus Commercials Wrexham who are a Fiat Professional garage and I've just phoned them and they think the gearbox is knackered .
They have emailed Fiat in Italy for authorisation to replace the gearbox and are awaiting confirmation but it most likely have to come from Italy or wherever as there isn't a replacement of the shelf here in the UK which means it could be months considering there is huge delay in getting parts from Europe
Bare in mind this is a new motorhome which we should have had by now , I've paid a sizeable amount of cash upfront and the balance is my 19 reg Pilote coachbuilt .
What grounds have I since the vehicle is not fit for purpose due to a major fault in the transmission preventing us from taking ownership
Check https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/#:~:text=Rejecting%20a%20car%20–%20your%20consumer%20rights%201,3%20Rejecting%20a%20car%20after%20six%20months.%20
but don’t hang about! Time is of the essence!

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Good luck tomorrow (y)
Been to Fiat Professional at Deeside today , and the gearbox is defective
They have submitted a warranty claim to Fiat for a replacement and are just waiting on authorisation.
Couldn’t give me timeframe on how quickly a replacement would arrive but the Workshop manager said he would make it a priority .
As he says if there is replacement in the country he will have it within two days and if not it will have to come from Italy but he would do his best to get it fixed ASAP .
Spoke to the dealer and he was supportive and just said use your existing Motorhome and don’t worry about any extra mileage just go where you want .
So although I’m disappointed about the gearbox failure in a brand new van it’s nobody’s fault just bad luck .
Anyway I can wait and at least we can still get away so happy days .
Feeling a bit more positive now I know what’s happening :dance2::dance2:

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Check https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/#:~:text=Rejecting%20a%20car%20–%20your%20consumer%20rights%201,3%20Rejecting%20a%20car%20after%20six%20months.%20
but don’t hang about! Time is of the essence!
Hi Tony thanks for the link
But I’m going to sit it out because if I reject the van I could wait months for a replacement model coming from Pilote in France
Fiat professional have been quick to diagnose the problem and have set the ball rolling for a replacement new gearbox so here’s hoping it won’t be to long

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Having successfully rejected 2 new MoHo’s , ( one was a faulty gearbox ) , sounds like your Dealer is doing everything right & I would have faith in them , new MoH’s are very hard get just now , it’ll get fixed , if it takes awhile to get sorted get fiat to extend your warranty

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
No we haven’t gone off the van we really like it but it’s just the very possibility that it could be absolutely months before it’s fixed
I just think it’s unreasonable to have to wait even longer when we could have had something else by now .
The wife is in tears after months of waiting as we’ve already cancelled two trips away and we’re supposed to be going to Spain at the end of this month .
Which won’t happen now .
I sympathise as it took my garage 4months to get hold of the gear change cable for a 6 speed manual Ducato due to it being on back order from the factory

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
They have submitted a warranty claim to Fiat for a replacement and are just waiting on authorisation.
Couldn’t give me timeframe on how quickly a replacement would arrive but the Workshop manager said he would make it a priority .
As he says if there is replacement in the country he will have it within two days and if not it will have to come from Italy but he would do his best to get it fixed ASAP .
Spoke to the dealer and he was supportive and just said use your existing Motorhome and don’t worry about any extra mileage just go where you want .
So although I’m disappointed about the gearbox failure in a brand new van it’s nobody’s fault just bad luck .
Update - Motus Commercials (Fiat Professional agents) called me this morning and they have ordered a replacement gearbox which will be here in 7-10 days .
Fiat have authorised a replacement and are shipping it from Italy , Top marks to Motus commercials at Deeside in getting things moving and the keeping me in the loop .

Second bit of good news DVLA called me today to say they are sending me updated V5 registration document as the original was misprinted with
MIA under vehicle manufacturer instead of FIAT , its taken them 6 weeks to amend the mistake but at least its done .
Just need them to return my driving licence now

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Update - Motus Commercials (Fiat Professional agents) called me this morning and they have ordered a replacement gearbox which will be here in 7-10 days .
Fiat have authorised a replacement and are shipping it from Italy , Top marks to Motus commercials at Deeside in getting things moving and the keeping me in the loop .

Second bit of good news DVLA called me today to say they are sending me updated V5 registration document as the original was misprinted with
MIA under vehicle manufacturer instead of FIAT , its taken them 6 weeks to amend the mistake but at least its done .
Just need them to return my driving licence now
Here is a useful link to see where the DVLA have got to on their backlog. Different dates for different types of applications listed lower down the page. Looks like it might get updated at the start of each week.

Feb 17, 2014
Leek, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
V Line 635 Sport
Exp
4th year done and counting!
We had a similar problem the gearbox on our Fiat PVC, some serious crunching into 5th and 6th at only 500 odd miles on the clock.

Fiat Professional in Derby were brilliant, gearbox removed and sent away for repair to synchromesh thingy ma bobs and back to us just over a week later.

That's nearly 3 years ago now and it's never missed a beat so hopefully in a few weeks time you will be all up and running and you can put this behind you and enjoy your lovely new motorhome.

Best of luck 👍

Wanda Homers

Free Member
Sep 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Ok here go's I'll try and keep it short .
We reserved a new Pilote A -class back in 15/5/21 and paid a deposit now DVLA eventually registered it 1/6/21 although we didn't receive the V5 until 24/6/21
We asked for a Thule canopy to fitted which only arrived last week due to it being on back order in the meantime the dealer noticed a noise from the transmission
they took it to Motus Commercials Wrexham who are a Fiat Professional garage and I've just phoned them and they think the gearbox is knackered .
They have emailed Fiat in Italy for authorisation to replace the gearbox and are awaiting confirmation but it most likely have to come from Italy or wherever as there isn't a replacement of the shelf here in the UK which means it could be months considering there is huge delay in getting parts from Europe
Bare in mind this is a new motorhome which we should have had by now , I've paid a sizeable amount of cash upfront and the balance is my 19 reg Pilote coachbuilt .
What grounds have I since the vehicle is not fit for purpose due to a major fault in the transmission preventing us from taking ownership
Neil did you ever get a resolution to this? We are in a eerily similar position and don't know the best option.

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I realise that this is an old post, but for Wanda's (and probably others) benefit, there is one crucial bit in the Consumer Rights Act highlighted in yellow below, however the definitions of "reasonable" and "significant" are clearly open to debate.

1662144592953.png

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Neil did you ever get a resolution to this? We are in a eerily similar position and don't know the best option.
Yes we eventually took delivery of the van and it was fine in the time we owned it , the dealer by the way bent over backwards and I have nothing but praise for him .
It was just an unfortunate series of events one after another .
Anyway To cut a long story short we only kept it 4 months and sold it for more or less what we paid for , did a 1000 miles and decided it wasn’t working for us the layout .
So at present we only have a car and caravan which suits us fine .
Not saying we won’t ever have another Motorhome but not at the moment as we’re quite happy tugging :dance2::dance2:

Wanda Homers

Free Member
Sep 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Yes we eventually took delivery of the van and it was fine in the time we owned it , the dealer by the way bent over backwards and I have nothing but praise for him .
It was just an unfortunate series of events one after another .
Anyway To cut a long story short we only kept it 4 months and sold it for more or less what we paid for , did a 1000 miles and decided it wasn’t working for us the layout .
So at present we only have a car and caravan which suits us fine .
Not saying we won’t ever have another Motorhome but not at the moment as we’re quite happy tugging :dance2::dance2:
Thanks for the prompt reply. It's good to know the outcome and that things have worked out well for you. I think we may need a little patience to overcome our problem. Hopefully all will be well for us too in the end. :rolleyes: Happy times tugging 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back