Do I buy a new or second hand motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Justlooking
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Just Joined today.

My dilemma is I am in the process or purchasing a 6 birth motorhome in the not to distant future but I cant decide if to buy a new one or second hand one. My budget is up to 35K max. I have read that motorhomes depreciate in there early years. This is my main concern as I don't want to just throw good money away. Is it better to buy one that six months plus old or buy a new one what are the pros and cons. I'm not bothered if its not brand new or not.

Also can anybody help me with the correct choice 6 birth: the best buy and value for money, make and model. As I have never purchased one before.

I also may possibly want to hire my motor home out for so many months in the year. As I work abroad so it would be sat on my drive for a while. Can anyone recommend if this is a good or bad idea? If a good idea can anyone recommend any companies who are good at rentals and could handle this for me. :helpsos:

Hope to see you all on the road.

Regards

Gra1

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am no expert but be careful if you are buying a secondhand Euro model from a dealer. Currency fluctuations appear to have affected the market.

We bought our Burstner new in 2008 for £47k but the equivalent model is now about £67k and vans a year older than ours are being sold at our dealer for £45k.

The new price seems to have dictated the s/h value.

What pi$$ed me off with our dealer is I asked for a price for mine against a new £89k van and he grudgingly offered me £33k, when he was selling older vans than mine (same or lesser spec) for 10 grand more.

The tw@t I spoke to even had the temerity to lecture me on depreciation when I protested.

I am all for making a profit but there are limits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just looking at 2nd hand 6 berth vans. So far have not found one with more than 4 travel seats with belts. Perhaps 6 berths are not designed to actually have 6 people in them:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Just looking at 2nd hand 6 berth vans. So far have not found one with more than 4 travel seats with belts. Perhaps 6 berths are not designed to actually have 6 people in them:Blush:

ours has 4 belted seats in the hab area and 2 in the cab so i guess mine is a true 6 berth although it would be quite cramped with 6 in it.
here are a few examples.
Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi Just Joined today.

My dilemma is I am in the process or purchasing a 6 birth motorhome in the not to distant future but I cant decide if to buy a new one or second hand one. My budget is up to 35K max. I have read that motorhomes depreciate in there early years. This is my main concern as I don't want to just throw good money away. Is it better to buy one that six months plus old or buy a new one what are the pros and cons. I'm not bothered if its not brand new or not.

Also can anybody help me with the correct choice 6 birth: the best buy and value for money, make and model. As I have never purchased one before.

I also may possibly want to hire my motor home out for so many months in the year. As I work abroad so it would be sat on my drive for a while. Can anyone recommend if this is a good or bad idea? If a good idea can anyone recommend any companies who are good at rentals and could handle this for me. :helpsos:

Hope to see you all on the road.

Regards

Gra1
EASY..... buy a second hand one and give the savings to me !!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back