Do Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers etc. ever really retire? (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
As an ex computer programmer / analyst / manager I apparently can diagnose and fix any PC in the world. O and can determine the ideal PC / Printer etc etc for someone just by them saying "I want one"

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Nearly 25 years as a social worker and now trainee solicitor there’s always “I have this friend “ scenario 🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not much call for advice from a retired Scaffolder........thank god. (but people do query how we achieved what we have having been a Scaffolder. Keep em guessing i say)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I thought my days on the wards were well and truly over when I hung up my stethoscope a few years back. The plan was to spend the rest of our days touring Europe, if only I were to know what was ahead. I spent a number of years working the Air Ambulance, then moved onto Medic One in a number of major cities, as my career progressed I was part of Gold Command Incident Management Teams and had the misfortune to be involved in a number of tragedies, throw in running inner city ED's along the way! But nothing, and I mean nothing, has been like the hell of the last 12 months, instead of driving around Europe I have been back working the wards and doing what I can to support the amazing, and by God do I mean amazing NHS family. Anyone not involved do not appreciate a fraction of what these teams have gone through it has been complete and utter hell. But as we move back out of lockdown the politicians and public quickly start to forget the sacrifice the teams have made. But don't worry their dedication, passion and commitment means they shall still be there to do it all over again even if it is the result of peoples foolish irresponsible actions.

I had it easy I was only "helping" but what these team have done is nothing short of a miracle.

So to get back to the OP, no Doctors never retire :)

Stay safe everyone and please follow the rules.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
As a retired Chartered Accountant I am Treasurer of my Target Shooting Club and Finance Director of my son's pharmacy business and do accounts for extended family. I draw the the line at that as that's time consuming enough. I demur on most tax questions as its a subject I haven't studied or practised in for years!

Deleted User
I thought my days on the wards were well and truly over when I hung up my stethoscope a few years back. The plan was to spend the rest of our days touring Europe, if only I were to know what was ahead. I spent a number of years working the Air Ambulance, then moved onto Medic One in a number of major cities, as my career progressed I was part of Gold Command Incident Management Teams and had the misfortune to be involved in a number of tragedies, throw in running inner city ED's along the way! But nothing, and I mean nothing, has been like the hell of the last 12 months, instead of driving around Europe I have been back working the wards and doing what I can to support the amazing, and by God do I mean amazing NHS family. Anyone not involved do not appreciate a fraction of what these teams have gone through it has been complete and utter hell. But as we move back out of lockdown the politicians and public quickly start to forget the sacrifice the teams have made. But don't worry their dedication, passion and commitment means they shall still be there to do it all over again even if it is the result of peoples foolish irresponsible actions.

I had it easy I was only "helping" but what these team have done is nothing short of a miracle.

So to get back to the OP, no Doctors never retire :)

Stay safe everyone and please follow the rules.
I worked in NHS for 28 years, not in a direct clinical role but often working alongside nurses and doctors in theatres and on the wards. I can only admire them for what they did even in the quiet times. What they have done recently is beyond praise as they all faced the known dangers of Covid and put the patients first. I thank you for your contribution.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As an ex computer programmer / analyst / manager I apparently can diagnose and fix any PC in the world. O and can determine the ideal PC / Printer etc etc for someone just by them saying "I want one"
Ditto, and diagnose and put right over the phone!

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Not much call for advice from a retired Scaffolder........thank god. (but people do query how we achieved what we have having been a Scaffolder. Keep em guessing i say)

I need scaffold for 3 gables on my house. Any advice?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I’m 72 currently”retired” the phone never stops, I’m still Gas Safe registered so until I get seriously ill or fed up, I will carry on. I love the job.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I often get asked stuff but I assume I am out of date and will often look things up. I can often help family and friends interpret what they’ve been told by their doctors or if they’ve looked something up themselves. You know what it’s like sometimes, you think you understood what the doctor meant but you get home and then start thinking and wondering especially if you’ve been given a lot of information.

If I’m in any doubt though I will send them back, not worth the risk.

A gynaecologist, long retired, when asked what he did he’d say he was a butcher to save any awkward conversations when on his holidays!

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Have you been keeping your hand in (so to speak) then? 😎

Ian
Not one bit. Enjoying the motorhome too much. Those that remained have been underemployed due to c19 limitations so no need for me.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And they say motorhomeing is the poor man's holidays :doh: what wide spectrum of members are on here who the man in the street would never think(y):sun::sun:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I turned down requests to carry on working when I decided to retire. Over 40 years fighting other peoples' battles is enough. Burnt my bridges by taking voluntary removal from the Roll so I am no longer qualified. I still get bad dreams where I am in a large office. PTSD, possibly.

The legal method training is permanently ingrained. I find myself helping family members with their legal problems. That's life. You can't get rid of them as informal "clients". In fact there are 3 solicitors (including former ones) in the extended family but I'm the one everyone goes to for advice.
There's a joke in there somewhere about deciding to stop soliciting, if I could but find it ... :rolleyes:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
And they say motorhomeing is the poor man's holidays :doh: what wide spectrum of members are on here who the man in the street would never think(y):sun::sun:
When I had my 2nd hip replacement, the anaesthetist was bored during the operation, and asked me if I liked travel. He then went on a travelogue of his adventures in his Merc m/home ['could sell it for more than I paid for it 3 years ago'], claiming that he had driven to all accessible points North, South & West; and was planning on getting as far East as it was safe to do, in the then late Summer of 2015. Took my mind off the hammering to fit the new hip, and gave a hint of the possibilities of motorhome travel!

Steve

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I’m a Building Control Surveyor and regularly get asked for advice, which I don’t mind too much. However I’m due to retire at the beginning of August and since announcing it to all and sundry I have been inundated with offers (some quite lucrative). Even the LA I work for want me to stay on part time. I’ve been planning this for sometime and have ferreted away extra funds into my pensions ready for the great escape but am now having to rethink the whole deal!

If you can get another 12 months or so at non-public sector rates you'll be startled at what you can put to one side, I was. If you are offerred contract work, become familar with tax rule IR35 if you are not alraady.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Go careful Mel, you don’t want to get accused of sexual harassment!
I don't understand the problem with this; mainly because I've never had any, despite being readily available and charging very reasonable rates ... 😂

Steve [can be relied upon to lower the tone to new found depths]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back