Do Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers etc. ever really retire? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know Doctors, and to some extent Pilots, hate being introduced as such at a party.

Some of us in certain professions seem to be called upon long after retirement to advise.

I currently have 5 Legal matters on which I am working. Two are my own, one in Poland and one in UK.

I am also trying to help three other people with advice, although not formally acting for them.

I do not resent giving my help, but do other professional also get requests and do you respond positively?

Geoff

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I know Doctors, and to some extent Pilots, hate being introduced as such at a party.

Some of us in certain professions seem to be called upon long after retirement to advise.

I currently have 5 Legal matters on which I am working. Two are my own, one in Poland and one in UK.

I am also trying to help three other people with advice, although not formally acting for them.

I do not resent giving my help, but do other professional also get requests and do you respond positively?

Geoff
I’m a Building Control Surveyor and regularly get asked for advice, which I don’t mind too much. However I’m due to retire at the beginning of August and since announcing it to all and sundry I have been inundated with offers (some quite lucrative). Even the LA I work for want me to stay on part time. I’ve been planning this for sometime and have ferreted away extra funds into my pensions ready for the great escape but am now having to rethink the whole deal!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

Geoff
I'm an engineer with added benefits, or so I'm told :unsure: (commercial, business and some contracts experience). Technically I retired back in 2008, but it's a myth. The only difference now is I no longer get paid :(:(, but some nice things do occasionally come my way (y):LOL:. I rarely say no as to be honest I enjoy the challenges.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Surgeon: 'The Bad News is that this is a very tricky operation, and there's only a 2 per cent chance of survival'
Patient: 'And the Good News?'
Surgeon: 'My last 98 patients died ...' 😂

Steve

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’m a retired plumber, gas fitter and heating engineer, I retired nearly 8 years ago and don’t do any of my ex work, I don’t give advice either as legally I’m no longer qualified for this work, and enjoy retirement to much.
John.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not much call for advice from a retired old trucker,,BUSBY😁

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
My employers F.I.L. was a surgeon. He was retired when I first started working for the company, and only recently passed away so got about 35years in retirement!!
Mike

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I turned down requests to carry on working when I decided to retire. Over 40 years fighting other peoples' battles is enough. Burnt my bridges by taking voluntary removal from the Roll so I am no longer qualified. I still get bad dreams where I am in a large office. PTSD, possibly.

The legal method training is permanently ingrained. I find myself helping family members with their legal problems. That's life. You can't get rid of them as informal "clients". In fact there are 3 solicitors (including former ones) in the extended family but I'm the one everyone goes to for advice.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I worked with an 82 year old man who only retired to look after his ill wife ,he was a sharp as a knife mentally his father was the Bosun on the Cutty Sark

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Not much call for advice from a retired old trucker,,BUSBY😁
I was going to ask for some advice, but then reread your comment, " retired old {Trucker} " ah ;).
Mike

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Retired Independent Financial Planner, I switched off completely for the first 6 months of retirement which meant lock down and the space in between . Since then I have had a few discussions with people who need guidance but I am the first to admit I have stopped doing the amount of continuous study and research needed to keep on top of things so I would be shy to give ‘advice’ as things change so often in Financial Planning.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hated disclosing I was cabin crew for BA... from then on the conversation was always about how to get an upgrade or what nightmare they had on their BA flight (they only got what they paid for and not what they thought they should...)
My dad (RIP) got annoyed about folk wanting a free Vet consultation.

I suppose its human nature, wanting expert advice... we're no different... mining motorhome technical advice from those who know...

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I’m a medically retired soldier. Don’t usually get asked advice on military matters 💀. The one I do get asked about drives me crazy. I’ll let you work it out 💉💀👍😷🥃

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hated disclosing I was cabin crew for BA... from then on the conversation was always about how to get an upgrade or what nightmare they had on their BA flight (they only got what they paid for and not what they thought they should...)
My dad (RIP) got annoyed about folk wanting a free Vet consultation.

I suppose its human nature, wanting expert advice... we're no different... mining motorhome technical advice from those who know...
Didn't know you were a Trolly Dolly 🤣🤣 BUSBY.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Didn't know you were a Trolly Dolly 🤣🤣 BUSBY.
Absolutely - 3 decades, mostly loved the early years.

Ironic really, when I was at hotel & catering college, I vowed it was the last thing I'd ever do.

Turns out it was...
So much more fun staying in luxury hotels than working in them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back