Do continental sites ever ask for Hab / Safety certs? (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
I've never had anyone look at our van in France Spain or Portugal, but I have a dull memory of posts where German, Dutch or Belgian sites have asked for safety certificates along with your passport. (I don't have any, having a DIY PVC, but with minimal gas and mains anyway).
Am I right right in this? How common is it? Posh sites only?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've never been asked in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain or Portugal. Or in the UK for that matter. ;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Nope. Never happened to us in forty years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Some german sites used to ask their own nationals for gas certs as it used to be a big thing, an mot fail for not having one, but it is not so stringent now, not heard of any 'foreigners' being asked for it

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Never even crossed my mind I think there would be loads of reports in here if it was a thing.

OP
OP
B
Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, I was just slightly concerned I'd get stuck, knowing the German's reputation for authoritarianism and operating to the "Norm".

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've never been asked in
France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands,Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Republic San Marino, Croatia, montenegro, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary,Slovakia, czechia, Spain, andorra, Gibraltar,Portugal, Scotland England or Wales.

But I've not been on any sites or had any hab checks done either 🤣

I'll get ma coat.

*edit ...I forgot Bosnia. Didn't get asked there either. 😁

Last edited:

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks, I was just slightly concerned I'd get stuck, knowing the German's reputation for authoritarianism and operating to the "Norm".
How could you say such a thing 😀 ... 100 % correct though...
The Germans require a bi-annual gas check seperate from the MOT, which is a different sticker on the back of the van showing the expiry date, if this isn't there then they can ask for the certificate, this is for German registered vans.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What would be the point for an UK-registered MH as there is no qualification in UK for a hab check inspector. One could knock a certificate up oneself. And probably not in most other countries also.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I never have in my 10 years but I too have some very vague recollection of something being said at a campsite in Spain once that you must have the gas inspected within the past 12 months and be able to provide the safety check certificate. I remember it as I didn’t carry my service docs with me.

PS, just had a second recollection and it may have related to overwintering on one site.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
One UK van kept tripping the site electrics, making the French site manager somewhat grumpy, but that's as close as I remember. Although I was getting a bit grumpy too when our electrics kept being cut off. Bloody Brits.

OP
OP
B
Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thank you all, I'll not bother digging out the old primus stove then (or teaching my beloved how to not flare it inside the van) :unsure:.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Here at Alannia Costa Blanca you can hire Spanish gas cylinders from the site. To be able to do so you have to produce either a gas cert or habitation check check showing the gas system has been checked with the last 12 months.
That may be what I recall now 😜 talking about getting gas for over winter.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Credit card or prepaid on line seems to be the only “certification” needed. Never been asked for anything else.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have never been asked for one but I do test the gas and electric every year, I write out a report form. I'm lucky I'm qualified to test both gas and electric systems and kept my test equipment when I retired. I do it for my own safety and to show a buyer when I sell. I have a damp meter and do a damp report every year too.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Here at Alannia Costa Blanca you can hire Spanish gas cylinders from the site. To be able to do so you have to produce either a gas cert or habitation check check showing the gas system has been checked with the last 12 months.
I expected that one to show up...Spanish LPG regulations...to LEGALLY buy or rent a Spanish LPG cylinder you are required to have the installation checked, then certified, going back as long as 2003 we had a new Spanish motorhome...first port of call..Repsol agent to have the van checked over...yes a new van..then we received our certificate and 2 new cylinders...
Very similar to what Alannia do...asking for Gas certificate....or you nip down the Rastro an pick one up for a Tenner....Rules is Rules..👍🇪🇦😃🤔

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've never been asked in
France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands,Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Republic San Marino, Croatia, montenegro, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary,Slovakia, czechia, Spain, andorra, Gibraltar,Portugal, Scotland England or Wales.

But I've not been on any sites or had any hab checks done either 🤣

I'll get ma coat.

*edit ...I forgot Bosnia. Didn't get asked there either. 😁
Feck ....I forgot N Ireland and eire

Never got asked there either 😁🤣

I'll let you know about Morocco hopefully in a week or so

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Feck ....I forgot N Ireland and eire

Never got asked there either 😁🤣

I'll let you know about Morocco hopefully in a week or so
Don't worry yourself...I imagine Gas Regs.are fairly non existent in Morocco....I heard that they will put LPG in virtually any container that you present to them...I'm far enough away to worry...you take care....👍🤔🇪🇦

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back