Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hola, which damp metre do you use?

it's a Dr Meter MD812. £17 from amazon. Comes in a pouch and has two spare pins. The hold function is handy when extracting your arm from hard to reach places and if you want to jot them down for future reference.
WP_20180412_001.jpg

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Your right... Spending too much time typing financial figures. It's 02%.

Which is 2% - I don't know if that is good or bad - I would think very good though :)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Which is 2% - I don't know if that is good or bad - I would think very good though :)

When ours failed its damp checks 20% seemed to trigger remedial action required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
it's a Dr Meter MD812. £17 from amazon. Comes in a pouch and has two spare pins. The hold function is handy when extracting your arm from hard to reach places and if you want to jot them down for future reference.
View attachment 224566
You really don't want to use that type not only can you damage the van they are also not much use in a Motorhome as the only give results to a few mm in depth. A decent non invasive type with paddles can measure up to 10-15mm depth and won't do any damage.
Up to 15% is generally the max to be considered OK , anything above should be investigated.

Last edited:

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012

The threshold seems to be upto 15% but at that level I'd certainly want my van looked at. Any figure above and there's a definite damp problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Damp Meter Readings

Readings between 0-15% no cause for concern

Readings between 15-20% engineer to make note of readings and recheck at next service.

Readings between 20-24% possible early sign of water ingress, look for tangible evidence or ask for recheck.

Readings between 25-30% moisture evident, remedial work necessary, may not require strip-down unless surface damage (staining, pimpling and softness) is apparent. There is a risk of wallboard deterioration due to retained moisture in the structure if re sealed only.

Reading of 31% and above structural damage is occurring, deterioration inevitable, full strip-down of affected area is required.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had a non-invasive type meter but it was useless in the corner joints of the Hymer (where you are most likely can get damp ) due to the aluminium frame which distorts the readings .. generally much higher than expected.. so I sold it.. if it's not accurate it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Pin type meters can be used in places where you won't see the pin holes, ie in lockers, under bed, behind window and locket door sealing rubber etc.. in fact most of the places where damp can occur ..

Don't buy a cheap and cheerful meter which is really only meant for checking logs for log burners, .. buy something like the Protimeter Mini they are far better at detecting how much damp is there.. and giving accurate results ..

As you would expect not participially cheap but can be found occasionally on ebay around £50 .. and for the cost of one hab check you have your own professional meter

http://www.damp-meter-direct.co.uk/protimeter-mini.htm

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had a non-invasive type meter but it was useless in the corner joints of the Hymer (where you are most likely can get damp ) due to the aluminium frame which distorts the readings .. generally much higher than expected.. so I sold it.. if it's not accurate it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Pin type meters can be used in places where you won't see the pin holes, ie in lockers, under bed, behind window and locket door sealing rubber etc.. in fact most of the places where damp can occur ..

Don't buy a cheap and cheerful meter which is really only meant for checking logs for log burners, .. buy something like the Protimeter Mini they are far better at detecting how much damp is there.. and giving accurate results ..

As you would expect not participially cheap but can be found occasionally on ebay around £50 .. and for the cost of one hab check you have your own professional meter

http://www.damp-meter-direct.co.uk/protimeter-mini.htm

I would agree with this. The non invasive meters do get fooled by internal brackets/frames etc

I use one but when new took all the reading around the van, recorded them.

Now i just look for a change from the previous reading.

Not sure if this is correct but works for me.

Using a pin type every month does sound like a lot of holes after a few years of ownership.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. I asked the tech at a well known Yorkshire MH dealer to compare his readings with the Dr meter, he said the were the same. His advice was to keep the battery fresh changing it every year as loss of power was one of the main reasons for reading inaccuracy, a bit like your smoke and CO detectors. He also said to always give the pins a wipe as minute particles can also alter findings... I'd have never thought of that.

It's the only reason I still use it.

Does it depend on the manufacturer? I suppose it's better to source one from a company who only make calibrated meters.

I'm tempted by the protimeter mini... It just all depends on what the missus is going to hit me with when another piece of kit is delivered, she'd look a bit like this! :madder:

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
they are not that bad, but better to know the limitations.. and not take readings as Gospel

Yep, as long as it lets me know that there could be an issue so I can have her looked at sooner rather than later then ,for me, it's done it's job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back